8%

(26 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0316 (resized).JPG
100_0329 (resized).JPG
100_0321 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I am looking to add either IJ or TOTAN to my collection but I cannot decide which one!!! IJ seems like a deeper game, but 12000 made means they'll always be easy to find. TOTAN is not as deep and can get old quicker? Maybe? but with only 3100 made will be a harder to find game so I should grab it while I can?

#2 6 years ago

Easy answer, get both!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

East answer, get both!

As much as I like your thinking, I really only have space for one more....Comfortably, after that things get tight

#4 6 years ago

Indian Jones is a very fun pin, I love the movies!

#5 6 years ago

I owned both, prefer IJ.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am looking to add either IJ or TOTAN to my collection but I cannot decide which one!!! IJ seems like a deeper game, but 12000 made means they'll always be easy to find. TOTAN is not as deep and can get old quicker? Maybe? but with only 3100 made will be a harder to find game so I should grab it while I can?

IJ has more modes, but gets kinda repetitive. TOTAN is kinda easy but I find the experience of it to be more interesting & unique. They're both solid for what they are. I think it comes down to which theme you like more.

#7 6 years ago

Tough one!

I personally think IJ has the better rules and better gameplay, but TOTAN is such a lush enriching game to behold. What do you value in your collection? Do you want something alluring and somewhat obscure, or just a really good game?

Me, personally, I'd probably go for Indiana Jones, but all the while wish I had picked up the TOTAN (pun intended).

#8 6 years ago

Get both and donate one to me.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jduawa:

Get both and donate one to me.

#10 6 years ago

I currently own both, both keepers, for long time. I have never finished, or come close ro finishing indy. It is very difficult and makes it worth turning on very often.

#11 6 years ago

They both have awesome ColorDMDs, too.

#12 6 years ago

On rules and Theme IJ all the way, for pure beauty TOTAN is the pageant winner.

Still have to go with IJ...

#13 6 years ago

seems like a strong lean towards IJ. IDK though......TOTAN looks so interesting.

#14 6 years ago

Unfortunately totan isnt very fun to play imo.... i went to buy a fully restored/modded example a few months ago for a good deal and it just wasn't very good especially for what people pay for them. Its beautiful with some neat toys/magnets but overall not fun to play after the first few times.

#15 6 years ago

I've always thought of TOTAN like a super attractive person who just blew through the doors at a bar. Attention is certainly grabbed, but once you start talking to the person, you realize that there's next to nothing between the ears. It's fun for a while, but once the façade is dropped, you're on a one way trip to disappointmenttown.

That's not to say the game isn't fun though, but after a while, the cage ball saves and genie bottle magnet lose their allure, and the rest of the game becomes very much average. TOM has the same effect. Once you peel back the layers of amazing artwork and lush sound, the game becomes super "samey." But to each his own. Some people really like those artistic factors in a pinball machine. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, it's just that I'd prefer a game with lasting strategy.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

seems like a strong lean towards IJ. IDK though......TOTAN looks so interesting.

I have owned TOTAN three times . Each time having to pay thousands more buying it back . 1st time TOTAN in 1998 I bought off a SAGA chain of arcades located in lower level of the 'PARK MEADOWS MALL' in Denver Co. Due to the fact that it was a SEGA arcade they could not put TOTAN in the arcade proper . It was in the hallway. I contacted purchasing dept. And bought it for $1,700.00. The second TOTAN I bought from Wolfman in 2009 for $3,400.00 . It needed a shit load of work to get 100% . It was also my first (LED conversion I had ever done). I sold it do to space issues to arcade 'Pinball Jones'. The Third was I trade deal . I think every one Interested in a TOTAN should one at least once and if possible as a collector never sell it. Both Pinball are great but TOTAN a trip to play and really fun to trick out with custom hand picked LED's. If go TOTAN Let me know as the are some tricks for the LED conversion I could share with you. Good luck ! Rob

100_0321 (resized).JPG100_0321 (resized).JPG
100_0329 (resized).JPG100_0329 (resized).JPG
100_0316 (resized).JPG100_0316 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

UGH, I still can't decided. Maybe I should just give in and get both

#18 6 years ago

I like the theme on IJ, sound, look, the whole package... but I never felt like it was a great player.

TOTAN is a nice looking game that does some cool stuff but it never really clicked with me.

#19 6 years ago

TOTAN for me is gorgeous to look at. Has an awesome theme with great DMD animations. In those areas I give it a perfect rating. The problem for me is the gameplay is far too easy to have any lasting replayability in a home setting. The wizard mode is cool, but again no challenge to it to build excitement. I get some really like the game and that's great, but it's definitely not for me.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I like the theme on IJ, sound, look, the whole package... but I never felt like it was a great player.

Yeah, when I had IJ, there was a "problem" I couldn't quite figure out. The flippers couldn't seem to get the ball around the orbit that well...it would usually floop into the lanes and bumpers when a mode required it to go all the way around - but at the same time when I hit the ramps, the shot was so strong that the ball would fly off the ramps a lot. If I put in stronger flipper coils, that might solve the orbit issue, but then my ramps would be double-F'd. Not sure if this is common on IJ's, but it was one of the reasons I sold mine pretty quick.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

UGH, I still can't decided. Maybe I should just give in and get both

Have you asked your husband what he would like?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Have you asked your husband what he would like?

I did and he was wayyyyy too practical about it, said we should use the money on house improvements instead.

#23 6 years ago

It's always good to have at least one practical person in the family.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,419.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

14,000 (OBO)
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-decide-my-next-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.