(Topic ID: 69859)

Help me decide; "Austin Powers or Apollo 13" ?

By Mercury

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by master_of_chaos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2013-11-13 00_23_12-Apollo 13 Magnet Modifikatiionen.docx - Microsoft Word.jpg
2013-11-13 00_21_37-Apollo 13 Magnet Modifikatiionen.docx - Microsoft Word.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hi Guys,

I want only one of these pins..Loved the Austin Power's movies

and Apollo 13 flick too...I know neither of these are rated in the top pins of

all time but that's alright with me...Never played either of them but love both themes..

Would appreciate any advice from owners or players of both of these pins..

Thanks))

#2 5 years ago

Apollo 13. Austin powers looks flashy at first glance, but A13 is the far better game in my opinion. You will tire of Austin REALLY fast.

#3 5 years ago

Go with Apollo 13... Much better playing game in my option than Austin Powers.

#4 5 years ago

I really wanted to like Austin Powers. But after playing a few on location, the game is just really poorly made. Everything about it seems cheap and every one I have tried to play has broke toys. Never played Apollo 13, but I would think it would have to be better

#5 5 years ago

Never played them, but if I did I would walk up and play Apollo 13 because I think it is more "flashier" and has some of the best looking toys in a pin. Plus, that 13 ball multiple looks awesome, although some say it's really too much.

#6 5 years ago

I have to agree with the others. I probably like AP more than most people, but I still think A13 is the better pin.

#8 5 years ago

Austin Powers probably won't age very well, but space is always cool!

#9 5 years ago

I have had 3 A13's and have a AP at the moment, I would go A13!

#10 5 years ago

Neither is good for a small collection. But I do have an AP. Funny quotes and a simple ruleset in a fan layout. I don't like overwhelming multi-balls. Even a 6 ball in IJ4 was stupid, A13 is X2. Loved the movie.

Also the mini-me spinner is just hilarious. Just my opinion.

#11 5 years ago

Both are WEIRD games, but the AP playfield is terri-ugly. I'd go with A13.

-Wes

#12 5 years ago

APOLLO 13

#13 5 years ago

A13... YA BABY!

#14 5 years ago

I used to own AP. Loved the theme, really did not like the game play. We now have an A13 where I play league. Not great, but way better than AP. Funny, everytime I say AP I think of Adrian Peterson!

#15 5 years ago

A13
But make sure that you fix the moon circuit board. There are some parts to swap to make this bullet proof.

#16 5 years ago

Well let me be the minority I enjoy playing AP , visually not the greatest but I think it has some fun shots, A13 I played a lot on location when I first got started in pinball enjoyed it but after playing a lot more it got old to me. I always felt the 13 ball multiball has broken parts written all over it, but that's just me.

#17 5 years ago

I had an A13 and have played AP and hands down A13. The music gets very old fast on AP and the 13 multiball rocks on A13.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

A13
But make sure that you fix the moon circuit board. There are some parts to swap to make this bullet proof.

Please tell more about this "fix". I own a really nice A13 and plan to keep it for a long time.

#19 5 years ago

yes, I would be interested in a bulletproof fix on A13, too. I have 2 in the shop that will probably be sold soon and like to head off problems ahead of time.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Please tell more about this "fix". I own a really nice A13 and plan to keep it for a long time.

Add me to the mix on wanting to know of the A13 bulletproof fix!!!

#22 5 years ago

Had them both, enjoyed them both ( but both gone now hehe)

Austin Powers is "Poor Man's Monster Bash" - actually we can now call it Poor Man's Iron Man . It's IM's layout with some different toys/features & MB type rules (hit each shot 4 or 5 times, start feature). Good if you want a fan-layout game with flow and humor.

A13 is more like 90's mode based games...and it has LOTS of modes. Cool toys - the rocket & moon magnet are neat. Comes with a shaker installed! 13 Multiball is a gimmick, but a great one - it's always funny.

Both suffer from bad Whitestar sound....but at the same time have music that's true to their licenses. If you like the movie scores, you'll probably like the soundtracks. A13 has Spirit in the Sky which is kinda cool.

At the end of the day, I suppose A13 is the more attractive & interesting game....but AP is pretty fun despite it's art & reputation.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Austin Powers is "Poor Man's Monster Bash" - actually we can now call it Poor Man's Iron Man . It's IM's layout with some different toys/features & MB type rules (hit each shot 4 or 5 times, start feature). Good if you want a fan-layout game with flow and humor.

Yeah, I don't understand why / how AP gets such a bad rep. While it definitely isn't great, it's got a great layout and a bunch of stuff going on. I jokingly refer to it as IMLE, as it's Iron Man with a bunch more stuff in it. Now, I think that Iron Man is the better game, which effectively ended my searching for an AP, but AP really isn't bad.

And Rarehero's right - the rules are extremely similar to the really popular games like MB, MM or AFM. Hit a shot a bunch, start a mode. I like the fact that AP makes you win the modes to get credit toward a bigger end mode.

Dr. Evil's hand breaks off in pretty much every AP ever made, but that is more of a design of the toy itself and shouldn't be held against the pinball machine in my opinion. The rest of it is solid.

A13 is cool too, but *if I didn't have an IM already* I'd be keeping an eye out for an AP if I was making that choice.

#24 5 years ago

AP has some cool toys, but every one of them was later re-used to better effect in a different game ...

The Ring > The Time Machine
Iron Monger > Dr. Evil
AC/DC Cannon > Frickin' Laser

Heck, even the ramps were re-used for IM.

#25 5 years ago

I can't believe this is actually a question. Most people that own austin powers keep them because they don't want to take a bath on what it's value has gone down. A13 is by far a more fun game.

#26 5 years ago

The problem with AP is not the layout. It is the fact that every mode pretty much plays the same. The Frickin Laser Cannon is WAY WAY WAY under used. Your lucky to see it once every 5 games. I personally love the theme and even like the artwork but game play is BORING!

#27 5 years ago

I have never even been able to use the "Frickin' Laser". Every one of them has been broken

#28 5 years ago

Austin Powers. One of the best themed pins ever. Apollo 13 does have a very unique multiball though...

#29 5 years ago

Ok, I'm in the minority here but for good reason. I have AP and I like it when I need a break from deeper games. However, the biggest reason is that my wife digs it. She's not huge into pinball so it gives her something she can play and enjoy.

#30 5 years ago

That's easy

Apollo 13

where else do you get 13 balls dropping in on you !!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

I´ve had restored an apollo somme months ago and there was a problem with the moon magnet. there is a fault in the design of control circuit. the user "Buja95" from the german forum "flippermarkt.de" has worked this out:

1) Replace R2 from the Interface Board with a wire bridge ( or 0K resistor)
2) Replace R41 (27K) on the driver board with a 1K resistor
3) Replace Q3 (P20N10L) with an IRL540
4) there are some parts added below the ciruit board ( resistor and diode) ,remove them.
5) forgot about the shottky diode as shown below..not really needed..

I have added 2 pictures ..

See aslo the servoce bulletins from stern sb80 and sb81

2013-11-13 00_21_37-Apollo 13 Magnet Modifikatiionen.docx - Microsoft Word.jpg
2013-11-13 00_23_12-Apollo 13 Magnet Modifikatiionen.docx - Microsoft Word.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 208.87
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside