Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pb456
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Beat up TFTC or clean Time Machine?”

• Tales from the Crypt 27 votes
      79%
    • Time Machine 7 votes
      21%

(34 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190519_150356_resized (resized).jpg
    IMG_4625A (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

First machine. Been shopping around a lot. Right now I have 2 machines to choose from, or I could wait.

Both I could have for about $2500. TFTC or Time Machine (Data East). The TFTC “works” but 3rd flipper is intermittent and shows a lot of wear I could have to touch up. It’s a bit of a project for sure. I think the TM is VERY clean.

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/time-machine

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/tales-from-the-crypt

Again, 1st machine. I’m very handy with woodworking, finishing, so cosmetic stuff is NP but I’ll have to learn a lot of the electronic, electric, pinball specific stuff.

Maybe also relevant, my favorite game is LOTR and live Monster Bash, Cactus Canyon, Creature. I do enjoy system 11 games like whirlwind, but prefer newer (ish) games overall.

#2 3 years ago

TFTC is an outstanding game. DE best pin by far. Full of modes, multiballs, great animations & lightshows. That decision isn't even debatable IMO.

Happy hunting!

#3 3 years ago

I own time machine and it is fun but not good 1 pin collection game. Also, in my opinion it is a $1800 game.

#4 3 years ago

Time Machine is winning 3-2 but no o e is sticking up for it. If I could get it for 1800 clean it might sway me. SoCal is expensive for pins tho. I’ve seen the TFTC. I’ll go look at TM tonight. May punt the decision until after an auction in 10 days but who knows if these guys will be available then.

#5 3 years ago

I’ve owned both.

Time machine is gorgeous and fun to play, but gets super repetitive fast.

TFTC is much deeper and has modes. Very fun pin.

I’d go tftc

#6 3 years ago

Time Machine definetly gets old after a while. I haven't owned TFTC, but it seems to have plenty of modes.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

TFTC is an outstanding game. DE best pin by far. Full of modes, multiballs, great animations & lightshows. That decision isn't even debatable IMO.
    Happy hunting!

Spot on! TFTC really is the total package. Spinners, drop targets, inverted ramps, deep ruleset and excellent graphics on the DMD, even has a shaker motor. Great audio, Plus it stays true to the the EC comics artwork. It's the one game I regret selling. If it was a B\W pin the price would be ridiculous on this title.

#8 3 years ago

TFTC for $2500 is a steal, Time Machine at $2500 not so much.

#9 3 years ago

Geez not even close ! Tales all the way
    Fun theme, modes , hard shots for long lasting in a home.

#10 3 years ago

Tales sounds a little under priced while Time Machine sounds a little overpriced.

Best move is to probably buy both.

#11 3 years ago

I think Levi has it right. Both could be ideal. I didn’t realize TM doesn’t have modes. I love games w modes and all that like LOTR. I’m starting to think TFTC is the way to go and I may try to make a simple classic like Cyclone my #2 which theme wise which is also campy, fun and (unintentionally) creepy w the clowns — it also has a special place in my heart. I can really make the TFTC sing over time w color DMD etc.

#12 3 years ago

I would see if you can get him down a little on a package deal and snag both. 4500 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

#13 3 years ago

Get Time Machine.....ummmm can I get the name of the guy with the TFTC? LOL

Seriously, I really enjoy TM, but this is seriously no contest. Unless TFTC came from the bottom of a swamp, $2,500 is a really good price and it is a better game than TM.

TM is alot of fun, but at the prices you are talking the winner is TFTC.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would see if you can get him down a little on a package deal and snag both. 4500 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I like Levi's thinking. $4,500 for both would be great. TM is a really enjoyable game. Has a Williams Sys. 11 vibe.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

I like Levi's thinking. $4,500 for both would be great. TM is a really enjoyable game. Has a Williams Sys. 11 vibe.

Different sellers.

#16 3 years ago

I don’t think I’d pull the trigger on another tm for over 2k

I sold
    My tftc like 5 years back for $2500. So at that price now, it’s a decent deal.

#17 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else. Time Machine is fun and has a lot of style (including chimes!) but like most DE games of the era, it's really really shallow. Tales will definitely last longer before it gets old. Although I will say, Tales is a bit of a tough game, so depending on your taste, that could be a factor too.

#18 3 years ago

I own a Time Machine, and I agree with what everyone else has said. It's not deep enough for a only pin collection unless you REALLY love the theme. It's a great game, but it isn't going to keep your interest for long. TFTC is a better game overall.

#19 3 years ago

I love the tales from the crypt at work. There are many many pins from different eras and manufacturers. TFTC is one of the few Data East I legitimately enjoy! Very catchy music and fun modes.

#20 3 years ago

I have a Time Machine and for the novice player it's really a blast. Great music and really draws them in. But if you have a memory of Tales from the Crypt, and want to have something more challenging, TFTC is a better game. That being said, just how clean is the Time Machine? If it's REALLY nice it would warrant the $2500 asking price. It has to have PRISTINE ramps and fantastic playfield with next to no planking. Backglass has to be original with mirrored finish, cabinet has to be fantastic.

You normally see a 6/10 to 7/10 TFTC for 3000-3500 on Pinside and other sources. I'd love to have one at some point, and have other DE games. Just haven't had the stars align yet.

Good luck with your search! Agreed at $4500 for the pair, IF WORKING, I'd do it. Top flipper in TFTC could be a busted wire or bad or maladjusted EOS switch (did they use those in TFTC?)...

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

I have a Time Machine and for the novice player it's really a blast. Great music and really draws them in. But if you have a memory of Tales from the Crypt, and want to have something more challenging, TFTC is a better game. That being said, just how clean is the Time Machine? If it's REALLY nice it would warrant the $2500 asking price. It has to have PRISTINE ramps and fantastic playfield with next to no planking. Backglass has to be original with mirrored finish, cabinet has to be fantastic.
    You normally see a 6/10 to 7/10 TFTC for 3000-3500 on Pinside and other sources. I'd love to have one at some point, and have other DE games. Just haven't had the stars align yet.
    Good luck with your search! Agreed at $4500 for the pair, IF WORKING, I'd do it. Top flipper in TFTC could be a busted wire or bad or maladjusted EOS switch (did they use those in TFTC?)...

Yes they did. Lower left flipper stopped working on ours recently and it was due to a worn out EOS.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

Time Machine is a great machine, set it for three ball, give it a little pitch and it will give you a run for the money! TFTC might be deeper but the theme just isn't for me. Owned my TM for 3 years now, just gorgeous, I would not sell it for $2500

Been de-colorized since pics were taken.

20190519_150356_resized (resized).jpg20190519_150356_resized (resized).jpg

IMG_4625A (resized).jpgIMG_4625A (resized).jpg

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Time Machine is a great machine, set it for three ball, give it a little pitch and it will give you a run for the money! TFTC might be deeper but the theme just isn't for me. Owned my TM for 3 years now, just gorgeous, I would not sell it for $2500
    Been de-colorized since pics were taken.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

gdonovan

Did you get repro ramps? If so, source? Yours looks fantastic.

Love mine, bolted to the floor.

#24 3 years ago

TFTC has outlasted my SS,BSD,TZ,TAF of that theme ..but could be I don't have much into it from years ago..and we still love to play it, and it hasn't given me any issues. (yeah, I screwed up on selling TAF)

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

gdonovan
    Did you get repro ramps? If so, source? Yours looks fantastic.
    Love mine, bolted to the floor.

Original ramps!

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Original ramps!

Whoa.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-decide-3?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.