(Topic ID: 20359)

help me decide

By shovelhed

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“acdc premium or attack from mars”

• acdc prenium 19 votes
      16%
    • attack from mars 57 votes
      49%
    • two b list titles 40 votes
      34%

(116 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0012.JPG

#1 11 years ago

Acdc premium or attack from mars? I have a chance to buy either or. Also could get two nice b titles what do you guys think?

Post edited by shovelhed : mis spelling

#2 11 years ago

Wow lots of options dude. 2 titles better than one imho . acdc premiums are going to be available. B titles going up in price depending. AFM leveled off? who knows on that. I would say buy what you will enjoy playing the most, for me that is usually going to be two > one . I love my pins, but is any one title as good as say NF and RG or whirlwind combined? nah.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Acdc premium or Attack from Mars? I have a chance to buy either or. Also could get two nice b titles what do you guys think?
    Post edited by shovelhed : mis spelling

What are the two B listers? Some B titles I think are better than A ones

#4 11 years ago

I know AFM is a keeper. I only played AC/DC for a short time.So cant comment on it fair.I will say It is rewarding purchasing a NIB. Good luck! Peace

100_0012.JPG100_0012.JPG

#5 11 years ago

I'd go with AFM.

#6 11 years ago

I'd go with 2 B-list games. Any 1 game gets repetitive after a while anyway (when this happens you'll be glad you have an alternate), and some of the B-list titles can be just as fun as AFM in my opinion.

#7 11 years ago

Can't go wrong with any decision. I picked the AC/DC because I assumed (if the price ranges were the same) the AFM was in less than ideal condition. If you are looking at a CQ game, AFM all the way.

Edit: I keep catching myself voting in these polls when I haven't been able to play AC/DC yet. LOL, I gotta knock it off!

#8 11 years ago

If I could have only 1 pin it would be AC DC

#9 11 years ago

Hands down AC DC for me. Have owned both and love the AC.

#10 11 years ago

I'm new but have been told 2 pins is better than one when I asked should I buy two moderate pins or 1 expensive. Since you already have 2 in your collection, both badass pins I must say, I would go for AFM and grab another pin of moderate vale with the leftover cash. Either way you go you'll be aces. Cheers

#11 11 years ago

Well, you could argue that they aren't making any more AFM, so that might be a good way to go,but personally I don't care for the game so much as having two good B-listers.

AC-DC is a fantastic choice, but you already have one music-based pin. If space isn't an issue, I'd still go for two others.

Another way to go would be to sell GNR (unless you're in love with it), and get ACDC plus another pin.

#12 11 years ago

Totally depends on the B-listers. Really.
    I like AFM over AC/DC but, like you, I have a SM and they are somewhat similar to have in a small collection.

#13 11 years ago

I have both titles and while both are great, I would get the AFM first--then ACDC PREM later on.

#14 11 years ago

Tough choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 11 years ago

I've only played AC/DC a handful of time and I liked it. I own AFM and it's one of the best games ever made. If you already own a bunch of pins go with the AFM. If you have a smaller collection go with 2 pins. they would hardly have to be "b" titles. For that much money you could get a STTNG plus a WH2O or LOTR. I would rather have 2 out of those 3 than an AFM.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I've only played AC/DC a handful of time and I liked it. I own AFM and it's one of the best games ever made. If you already own a bunch of pins go with the AFM. If you have a smaller collection go with 2 pins. they would hardly have to be "b" titles. For that much money you could get a STTNG plus a WH2O or LOTR. I would rather have 2 out of those 3 than an AFM.

+1 on this......AFM for some reason is getting stupid money right now and AC/DC premium is also big bucks. Both are indeed great games. Shredso just mentioned a few killer titles you could get for the same money (and IMO he listed A titles, not just B titles). Good luck regardless, have alot of money to spend on pins is a good problem to have.

#17 11 years ago

Get AC/DC pro and ST:TNG, or AC/DC premium and one of those games under $1500 since AFM is about $1500 more than AC/DC premium. Moneywise AFM is probably the better investment long term but not in terms of fun, two games are better than one.

#18 11 years ago

Two Bs. Any two Bs I have I would consider a better play value combined over AFM, which I also love.

AFM, MM, MB, CC - massively overated, as with EVERY wpc95.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

+1 on this......AFM for some reason is getting stupid money right now ...

It's because people are putting logic on the backburner in favor of emotion/nostalgia. AFM is a fun game, but no way is it a $8000 pin.

We saw the prices shoot through the roof because lately some people decided to go all balls-wall with their money and snag them for crazy money on ePay. Since then the last month, I think it's been pretty noticeable to watch sales stall. I've watched a couple here for sale stall big-time.

Yes, it's summer and people aren't staying inside and playing pinball as often. People are outside and doing things/seeing family/being social - I get it. I think there's also a solid body of pinball players that came to their senses and said "Overhyped and overpriced."

And yes, it's a "big boys hobby" - you know what also is a big boy's hobby that I'd much rather spend $8000 on and get a heck of a lot more enjoyment and social time with other people outside of my house ...? Restoring a 1967 Impala for starters.

RobT said it best in another thread: "...the thread that was started here about the AFM that was listed on ebay that sold for $8100.00 (and it was in only average condition at best) a few months ago started a frenzy of people saying that this was the new going rate for an average AFM.... "

as well as

"... the price on this title seems to have gone up more and faster than any other pin that I know of. A 50% increase in a matter of 6 months seems out of whack..."

Get yourself 2 B titles and enjoy. Heck, I have bought all 4 of my "B title" machines for a whopping $5950... that's $2050 less than a "baseline" AFM - come on .... AFM is good, but it's NO WAY worth more than buying 4 pins for $2000 less.

And yes, I don't have the money to blow on 1 pin (sensibly). You could say I'm jealous/got AFM envy - you're partially right. You'd also be right to infer that I have more sense than I do money.

Opinion stated - discussion time ready for the mature side. Flame suit ready for the fanboys.

#20 11 years ago

I can't say I disagree with your post at all NewPinOwner. I personally love AFM and would buy a collector quality one in the 8k range if it was already blinged out (upgraded speakers, chrome everywhere, shaker, color DMD, etc.). But a game like that currently has an 11k-12k asking price and that is a bit high, in my humble view.

RobT's observation that a supposedly ebay shill bid started a huge crazy push upwards in the price was spot on I think. It also led many more people to put their AFM's on the market. There are four for sale on pinside that have come up in the last two weeks (all great looking machines by the way) and none of these have sold that I have seen.

I don't really know the value of AFM's, just to hard to say in this wild market. I think it is below what many of the sellers are asking for their machines; however, those few ebay bids show that I am wrong and they are right. I think we need to see an AFM or two go up on ebay again and judge...it is sometimes hard to see a shill bid though (at least for me).

#21 11 years ago

AFM
    Older and harder to find over time.
    Classic proven title.
    Easier to resell than ACDC if you decide to move on.

#23 11 years ago

AFM is my Grail game, will probably never own it, but that would be my choice.

#24 11 years ago

AC/DC premium would be what I would go with. Make sure you get some play on it though to ensure you love it. AFM is officially in rediculous territory in terms of price for one in great condition. You can likely get AC/DC premium and still have a bit of cash to drop on a second with the cash you would pay for an AFM in great condition.

IMO more is not always better. I would much prefer to have 2 pins that I can play for years on in and still love em to having 3 pins but one or two of them get old after a bit.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Wow lots of options dude. 2 titles better than one imho . acdc premiums are going to be available. B titles going up in price depending. AFM leveled off? who knows on that. I would say buy what you will enjoy playing the most, for me that is usually going to be two > one . I love my pins, but is any one title as good as say NF and RG or Whirlwind combined? nah.

I agree. Two pins are better than one, even if that one is top notch. AFM is selling at a high point right now too. There are still plenty of great bang for the buck pins available, and you could actually get *three* nice pins for the price of a nice AFM.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

RobT's observation that a supposedly ebay shill bid started a huge crazy push upwards in the price was spot on I think. It also led many more people to put their AFM's on the market. There are four for sale on pinside that have come up in the last two weeks (all great looking machines by the way) and none of these have sold that I have seen.

This is correct for the most part, but I should clarify that I never said that there was "shill" bidding that took place in that auction. There very well may have been, but I don't know and never mentioned it. My point is whether there was shill bidding or not, it seemed that that one auction caused a sudden price spike for AFM and then a bunch of them have been posted for sale since then, all at or around that same $8k price for average condition.

#27 11 years ago

Picking up afm. Thanks for everybodys input. Will post pics soon.

#28 11 years ago

I like AFM but have no time in on ACDC yet.

As for the B list I think this is the best money decision but unsure if it is the best game room choice.

AFM looks to have flatten out for now

ACDC could go up (or down but probably not with reviews)

B list games if desired titles I don't think can go anywhere but up until amazing new stuff hits the market and blows away WPC95 stuff.

All of this is only my opinion

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-decide-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.