Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wonka WOZ together (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi folks.

I’m about to buy my first JJP pin (used), so I’m seeking input from those who have owned JJP pins.

I have a three pin collection and I’m selling one to fund this next pin. My first choice is POTC however I’m going to acquire that one later. I’m also planning to buy Toy Story but I’m tired of waiting.

My plan is to buy either a Wizard of Oz (Yellow Brick Road LE) LE or Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (LE) now, hold for about 1 year, sell, then acquire the next JJP pin on my list.

Please help me decide between WOZ and Wonka.

Thank you!

#2 2 years ago

I don't see a poll on my side but WOZ would be my choice .

#3 2 years ago

Wonka is a much better shooter and just more fun to play. IMHO

#4 2 years ago

Wonka is a better shooting game. Fun layout and the newer updated code makes the game more enjoyable. Wonka is probably cheaper than woz too, especially if you can find a standard

#5 2 years ago

WOZ or DI.

#6 2 years ago

I'd get WOZ, as Wonka seems to have the playgirl that chips and pools.

#7 2 years ago

I love my WOZ. That said, I have other machines that satisfy other styles of gameplay. Wonka and WOZ are totally different layout styles. Go with the one that best suits your playing preferences if it’s your only game or choose the one that compliments/balances out other games in your collection. Really can’t go wrong with either one.

#8 2 years ago

Wonka man, great game all the way.

#9 2 years ago

If I had to choose between which JJP to get (or to trade away) I don’t think I could. They are all good in their own way. Right now I’m enjoying the heck out of GNR.

#10 2 years ago

WOZ is a thing of beauty. You won’t want to let it go. Gameplay is good, not great, but boy is she a looker! Never letting my Ruby Red go...at least that is what my wife says. Also, WOZ has better pinball moments. Melting the witch is as fun as destroying the ring. Plus, no instant drain from the pops like Wonka.

#11 2 years ago

I've owned all their games, and this is how I would rate them. In my opinion u need to play all and see what resonates with you.

1. Wonka LE - great shooter, deep rules, loved the theme
    2. GNR LE/CE - Incredible theme integration, really fun game. That being said i'm a fan of their music, and enjoy music pins
    3. POTC LE - very deep game with great shots, fun game
    4. DI LE - great layout and shooter....I hated the theme
    5. Hobbit LE - Great theme integration, music, wide body with a pretty empty play field and not a lot to do
    6. WOZ RR - Beautiful game, lots to do, zero flow, deep rules, just wasn't fun for me

#12 2 years ago

I can't, I consider WOZ my best game. Wonka is my most played game.

#13 2 years ago

Wonka or Dialed In

#14 2 years ago

Wonka wins against WOZ. I've played both. Wonka is better.

But if you're a huge WOZ fan, it could be a toss-up.

#15 2 years ago

I've had a few JJP games.

Wonka is the best by far. Love the theme and how it shoots. It's amazing.
    Dialed in is next. Theme is weak but it's basically whirlwind 2.0 it's great
    Woz - amazing machine and theming. Gameplay can be repetitive.
    GNR LE - awful just sparkle lights and old dudes playing music. The game play is super boring with tons of unearned multiball
    Pirates - most overrated game of all time. Super boring overly complex rules. There's a reason they are rare.

#16 2 years ago

I haven’t played WoZ enough to give an opinion there, but I love Wonka. It is a great game all around. Layout, flow, rules, theme integration, sound. Approachable for casual people and deep as the ocean for pin heads. And it has a fun, whimsical, inviting vibe that is unique and contrasts
    with many other pins. (And draining from the pops isn’t an issue if you have it leveled and angled properly - total non issue in my game room)

#17 2 years ago

If your picking between WOZ and Wonka than its Wonka LE/CE by a country mile

#18 2 years ago

We've had Wonka since new in August, 2019, and a used WOZ since August, 2021. My vote is Wonka.

Some notes: with the latest Wonka code (2.03) the games can generally be long if you are a decent player and the game is tuned well (level, newish rings, clean playfield). However, with the latest code (default setting), you finally have the feeling that you can make some progress. The theme integration & videos are great - better than WOZ, IMO. However, I like Wonka movie better than WOZ. Newest code even added some more video synced with sound relative to 1.x code. There are more (ie varied) chances for different multiballs in Wonka.

WOZ is a drain monster - especially that left out lane. So, games do tend to be shorter, even for a better player. I do kind of like the post between the flippers. I like the right out lane Toto rollovers with the 1- or 2-shot chance for a ball save. The ball save chance given by the State Fair balloon pop on the left is so difficult it is ridiculous IMO. I've only saved a ball once so far. I groan when I get it, and am tempted to let the auto-plunge just drain. The integration of WOZ is great, and it is a beautiful machine. The upper playfields are actually interesting with something to achieve.

But, I still choose Wonka.

Wonka WOZ together (resized).jpgWonka WOZ together (resized).jpg

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Hobbit LE - Great theme integration, music, wide body with a pretty empty play field and not a lot to do

There's a lot to do! There's 31 modes! May I ask why you said that?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-choose-my-first-jjp-pin?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.