DSC02852.JPG
DSC03303.JPG
DSC03301.JPG
DSC03298.JPG
DSC03296.JPG
DSC03297.JPG
DSC03299.JPG
#1 10 years ago

After LEDing my Congo last year, I decided that I liked it as is. As time when on, I realized that the center of the playfield is still kinda dark when the house lights are down. I had a guest mention it to me once too, so I decided to add a spotlight. Congo is kinda tricky in this aspect as there is really no good place to put one near an out-hole (for the wiring). Though there is a factory spot in the back on the volcano ramp, there is nothing in the front or the middle of the game. I thought about putting one somewhere toward the front the ramps, but routing the wiring kept being a problem. I finally decided to try one on the left side near the skill shot target bank. The placement works, but now I am stuck on a color. I want to keep the pin moody, but I want the aspects and artwork in the center of the playfield to still be seen a little better. I tried 3 colored superbrights. Tell me which one looks best:

Cool White:

DSC03299.JPGDSC03299.JPG

UV:

DSC03297.JPGDSC03297.JPG

or Red:

DSC03296.JPGDSC03296.JPG

#2 10 years ago

As you can see, the white lights it up best, the UV does next to nothing and the red gives it the dark and fiery mood I'm looking for. Just wondering which one better fits the pin. Here's a close-up of the UV:

DSC03298.JPGDSC03298.JPG

(Really, only the purple bricks of the temple seem affected). And the red:

DSC03301.JPGDSC03301.JPG

And the effect the red has on the orange posts and other orange plastics across the way:

DSC03303.JPGDSC03303.JPG

#3 10 years ago

I'd vote white because it certain(t)ly a little too clown pukey for me, but since it's already that way, I might go with the red.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'd vote white because it certain(t)ly a little too clown pukey for me, but since it's already that way, I might go with the red.

I'm leaning toward red too. My son wanted it red from the start.

#5 10 years ago

Red looks good to me

#6 10 years ago

Oh, BTW, after I added the red spotlight, I had my best game ever on the pin. Just shy of 900,000,000. Before the spot, I had barely ever gotten above 500 million. In fact, I think I only cracked 600,000,000 once.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Oh, BTW, after I added the red spotlight, I had my best game ever on the pin. Just shy of 900,000,000. Before the spot, I had barely ever gotten above 500 million. In fact, I think I only cracked 600,000,000 once.

Think you just answeed your question then

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Think you just answeed your question then

Well, to be fair, I didn't try to actually play with the other 2 colors, only put them in for pics. I tried each color twice and kept settling on the red. The red seems to make the playfield glow more like lava, whereas the white seems to light it up like 2:30am bar close. They don't call Africa the dark continent for nothing.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Well, to be fair, I didn't try to actually play with the other 2 colors, only put them in for pics. I tried each color twice and kept settling on the red. Makes the playfield seem to glow more like lava, rather than lighting it up like 2:30am bar close like the white one does.

Don't question it...the results speak for themselves!

#10 10 years ago

OK, I officially went with the red in the front spot and beefed up the back spot from an Ablaze 1 to a F'ing Bright Cool White (4). I like the results.

Before:

DSC02852.JPGDSC02852.JPG

After:

DSC03302.JPGDSC03302.JPG

#11 10 years ago

Very nice, Thumbs ^

#12 10 years ago

My vote is MORE spotlights. So dark still!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-choose-a-spotlight-color-for-my-congo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.