Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
20150214_202037.jpg
20150214_165946.jpg
#1 9 years ago

hi everyone!

Eight ball deluxe le - bought it 3 weeks ago, had a few issues but cranked right up after fixing a connector! Played it for a week or two. Now it won't boot though. At first, it took powering on one or two times to get it to boot. So, I checked all the test points on the power supply, mpu, and the solenoid driver board and all seem ok. I replaced the mpu and solenoid driver board with a set of allteks....same response from the machine. booted last night for about 2 hours then crashed in attract mode (with the original boards reinstalled). I don't know what else to check if all of the test points read out. I ran a ground wire from the mpu and solenoid to the chasis just to check but no luck. Noticed the main board has a jumper from e4 to e12 (something to do with ground I read online). The fact that I have the same non-response with both sets of boards tells me it must be something else. I ordered a new rectifier board as the current one looks hacked up a little. I also cut the old battery off and wired a battery box in...i hope I did it right. I would gladly hire someone to fix, but I can't find a pinball tech within 150 miles of Dothan Alabama.

Any ideas?

Cheers! Brad

#2 9 years ago

and if anyone is curious...$350!

#3 9 years ago

$350?

Are you selling it?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

$350?
Are you selling it?

I believe he is referring to the price he paid.

#5 9 years ago

aaahhh...

He got a great deal then.

I just wish I could find an 8 ball deluxe w/ a good playfield.

#6 9 years ago

This game has the round pins inside the rectifier connectors, so they fare better than earlier connectors. So I would be looking at rebuilding the power supply first, then go from there.

A millisecond of dropout of the 5V rail will crash the system.

#7 9 years ago

A common issue that will cause these occasional problems is a wire on the upper right connector on the Solenoid drive board that feeds power to the CPU. It often burns. You can usually see it right on the connector. Its a white with a brown trace as I recall (no schematics at hand right now).

Sometimes, you will find this one wire soldered to the back of the connector as an operator hack.

#8 9 years ago

While I love the Alltek boards, if you do not rebuild the connectors that plug into it, chances are you will continue to have the same issues. Early Bally's are prone to corrosion in the connectors. Personally I rebuild all the connectors on the MPU, Solenoid driver board and the power supply.. Also rebuild the power supply. Only rebuild the connectors on the Light board if there are obvious problems. This is the most important thing to do to these to bullet proof them.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas guys. And yes 350 is what I paid lol not for sale I love this game! I'll check the connectors too. I guess the part throwing me off is that all the test points seem ok.

#10 9 years ago

Freeplay I just mentioned the alltek to rule out the mpu and solenoid board. I'm a newb so board rebuild is a bit out of my scope for now. I got the alltek for my paragon and strikes n spares

#11 9 years ago

For starters, I would replace all the IDC connectors with regular molex. Those IDCs are about as reliable as a politicians promise. Do the MPU, then the SDB.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from bumgahdna:

I guess the part throwing me off is that all the test points seem ok.

Seem o.k. won't cut it. Measure for 5VDC +/- about .3V and AC ripple less than .5VAC as measured on the MPU board. Only accurate measurements will assure us that the MPU is receiving clean logic power.

Rebuilding the connectors is usually next after making sure the power is correct and stable.

#13 9 years ago

+1 on replacing the connectors.

#14 9 years ago

SOOOOO

last night i pulled the mpu, reseated the chips, and remounted the board. i noticed that the mpu mounting screws (which i believe are grounds) were not the tightest.

I hooked it up and VIOLA ....CHALK UP!

so i'm guessing it's either a bad ground from mounting, or a bad connector. i'm changing all of the connectors anyway. also, since i've already ordered a new rectifier board it gets that too.

Geez

#15 9 years ago

Have fun. I love mine. Very challenging, and also rewarding. I'll take the ugly cabinet all day to save me a couple grand haha. Also, get some warm white LED strips in that backbox to replace the crappy incandescent.

#16 9 years ago

Yeah i totally love this game!

i used a $6 rope light lol just cut the incandescent from the transformer and wired me in a plug. that way i can upgrade in the future!

20150214_165946.jpg20150214_165946.jpg

20150214_202037.jpg20150214_202037.jpg

#17 9 years ago

Looks good. Here is what mine looks likeimage.jpgimage.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-chalk-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.