Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Aurich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-03-23 19.23.18.jpg
    2015-03-23 19.23.02.jpg
    2015-03-23 19.22.43.jpg
    2015-03-23 19.22.52.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I've been slowly building my pin line up, I have 4 nice titles now and have room for two more. Currently I have TAF, STTNG, JD and STPP and enjoy playing all of them. I really enjoy games with plenty to see and do on the playfield, I like to be visually entertained and enjoy games with LOTS of shots and features.

That being said, I'm struggling to break out of my comfort zone and venture 'back' into slightly older games as I fear they won't be as entertaining or engaging. I know that sounds a bit strange but I have this mental hangup with games that don't have DMDs (man I even feel dumb typing that). I only ever played pinball in the 90's which is probably why I am 'stuck' on those style of machines.

I've tried playing a few of the older titles that have good rep like Firepower, but found them extremely repetitive and boring for my tastes.

Bearing in mind the games I have now, what titles am I missing out on? Are there non-dmd games that have a good variety of shots, modes, entertaining call outs, music and great eye-candy play fields that you would argue are easily as good as the DMD games of the 90's?

#2 9 years ago

Modes? No.

#3 9 years ago

Funhouse,Time machine,Jungle Lord and RFM !

#4 9 years ago

You need system 11s. Possibly the best era in pinball history.

#5 9 years ago

Black Knight 2000

/thread

#6 9 years ago

Try some early 80s Ballys or late 80s Williams.

#7 9 years ago

Why?

You like DMD stuff, play DMD stuff. You can't force yourself to like the older stuff. "Modes" are a DMD-era invention you aren't gonna find that stuff in the older games unless you count things like hurry ups or build up shots.

#8 9 years ago

OP, I'm going through the same thing. I've went from early solid states, like gorgar, flash, etc. and then to system 11s. Then I sold off the system 11s for Williams/bally dmds. I am not a huge fan of the modern sterns at all.

I'm somewhat looking to get back into system 11s, as they're so approachable and just plain fun. I love the unique creativity that went into these pins. No movie or rock themes, etc.

I'd look for a taxi, eatpm, or something rare, like a mousin'. System 11 baby. SYSTEM 11!!

#9 9 years ago

Go for something that you find visually appealing.

I love bop for instance, scoring is broken as all hell but I don't care, one of the best looking games of all time imo...

You'll discover pinball can just be fun, not necessarily all about highscores

#10 9 years ago

I like games that make me laugh, great call outs, funny things happening etc, hrmmm

#11 9 years ago

Like you, I grew up in the 90's playing DMD machines. I had a few older games in my collection when I first started out in the hobby, as games like Black Knight and Gorgar were some of my favorites on The Pinball Hall of Fame Williams' Collection video game for Xbox360. As time went on and I played more and more games at shows and at other collector's houses, I found that DMD games definitely suited me more. The SS games of the 80s wouldn't last more than a month or two in my collection so I gave up on them for the most part.

Don't force yourself to buy an EM or early SS for the sake of variety. Just buy and play what you enjoy. There is quite a bit of difference between design, look, modes and feel between the various manufacturers that made/are making DMD machines.

#12 9 years ago

taxi
    pb20th anniv
    bk

nice callouts and sounds. fun gameplay too.

if your on limited room, recommend playing most before purchase

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Code_Blue:

Black Knight 2000
    /thread

No, he said he doesn't like repetitive and boring.

#14 9 years ago

You don't play older games like you play DMDs. No modes and crazy deep rules. That's part of the appeal, it's a different way to play.

Sometimes I want to play Metallica or Star Trek, try and set up some scoring strategies, drill deeper into the modes and multiballs etc.

Sometime I just want to fire up Flash Gordon and play raw pinball, without worrying about all that shit.

#15 9 years ago

Yeah i was thinking no older than System 11, certainly not EM. I've heard Whirlwind is fun but as I already have a TAF I couldn't see it standing up for long.

#16 9 years ago

Buy Taxi, Whirlwind, Funhouse and Diner

Problem solved. You really won't miss the DMD animations. You may discover that you spend all of your time looking at the playfield.

#17 9 years ago

Sometimes I don't want to run through modes. I want to just pickup pinbot or gorby and hit the jackpot to hear that obnoxious bell.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Griffin:

Yeah i was thinking no older than System 11, certainly not EM. I've heard Whirlwind is fun but as I already have a TAF I couldn't see it standing up for long.

I do not find their game play similar.

#20 9 years ago

Centaur. Classic old style game. Multiball. Good sounds. Good callouts. Great looking. I like the additional skill required to shoot the drop targets in order for extra scoring. The only bad thing about this game is the current prices.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

Centaur. Classic old style game. Multiball. Good sounds. Good callouts. Great looking. I like the additional skill required to shoot the drop targets in order for extra scoring. The only bad thing about this game is the current prices.

I also like that era mixed in with my DMD's. I have Medusa...Still tough to find and maybe not quite as cool as Centaur but a big departure in feel from Sys11 games.

I love High Speed. It's also really popular with guests. Maybe because it's not as intimidating as some f the modern DMD games to casual guest players?

#22 9 years ago

FUN HOUSE GREAT RECOMMENDATION!!!

#23 9 years ago

Funhouse ^^^^

#24 9 years ago

Yeah I've been thinking about Funhouse, it has come up in conversation more than once, seems they are going for kinda high prices these days though. I was offered an extremely nice Roadshow for 3500 the other day which seemed high to me too, maybe I'm out of touch with the value of these two pins...

2015-03-23 19.22.43.jpg2015-03-23 19.22.43.jpg2015-03-23 19.22.52.jpg2015-03-23 19.22.52.jpg2015-03-23 19.23.02.jpg2015-03-23 19.23.02.jpg2015-03-23 19.23.18.jpg2015-03-23 19.23.18.jpg

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Griffin:

I've heard Whirlwind is fun but as I already have a TAF I couldn't see it standing up for long.

Couldn't see TAF standing up against whirlwind personally.

#26 9 years ago

The pins that I played growing up were from the late 80's and very early 90's. I didn't realize until I purchased a Bally Gameshow that these are the machines for me. It's pure nostalgia, almost therapeutic. I've since sold my DMD's and purchased a Mousin' Around, which - in my humble opinion - is perfect pinball: fast ramps, satisfying orbit, original artwork, and straightforward ruleset.

Maybe it's because I'm not a very good player, but I would usually just let modes time out on my DMD's. I'd also hardly ever have time to look up and enjoy the animations.

That being said, I'm sure I'll pick up another DMD or two when I'm done reliving my childhood.

#27 9 years ago

As an entirely DMD guy as well, Firepower is a great game, too bad you don't like it.

#28 9 years ago

Given that you're a DMD guy, Griffin, you can't really go into the world of pre-DMD expecting similar gameplay and presentation. Funhouse is kind of like a transitional pin which is still alphanumeric and is about as close as you can get to DMD-era gameplay without having a DMD. Likewise, T2 is another transitional pin, but on the other side of the transition with a DMD.

Beyond that though, the older you go from the DMD era, the simpler the games get and there's no way to avoid that. If that's not your thing, then it's not your thing and you're not going to find much you personally would enjoy.

Give the collection you've already stated, given your enjoyment of DMD games and the specific things you enjoy, and given your price range, I think your next game should be Demolition Man. Yeah, I know, same lead actor as in Judge Dredd... Last Action Hero would be my next recommendation for you.

#29 9 years ago

You are not missing out on anything. You are collecting/playing what you like. I think DMD games are the better games with more features, deeper gameplay, better visuals, etc. Some of the older games are fun like system11 games and Funhouse but if they are not your cup of tea then don't sweat it. Funhouse is one of my favorites but for the price, you can get a pretty nice dmd title which makes it a tough choice.

#30 9 years ago

Please go play Whirlwind, Taxi, and Funhouse!

#31 9 years ago

Only two non DMD games I have are FH and EATPM, both stand very well in my lineup for me.

#32 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys, it's nice to know that I'm not missing out on anything within my tastes because of my DMD fetish lol. I guess I'll carry on doing what I was doing now without feeling I was limiting my options too much.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Griffin:

Thanks for the replies guys, it's nice to know that I'm not missing out on anything within my tastes because of my DMD fetish lol. I guess I'll carry on doing what I was doing now without feeling I was limiting my options too much.

Well, you ARE missing out on great games and you are limiting your options too much.

But hey you like what you like.

#34 9 years ago

Get a Whirlwind.

#35 9 years ago

My buddy John owns Arcade Expo out here in SoCal, he's coming over next week to pick up a few things from me, maybe I can ask him to let me hang out in his pinball hall for a day, then I could really try a lot of different styles.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Griffin:

My buddy John owns Arcade Expo out here in SoCal, he's coming over next week to pick up a few things from me, maybe I can ask him to let me hang out in his pinball hall for a day, then I could really try a lot of different styles.

Oh yeah, that's the ticket, you can expose yourself to anything with John's collection. There isn't an era or style he doesn't have for the most part.

His collection is loosely grouped by era, so you can sample a few games from each, and then move to a different section. You just have to keep in mind that older games play differently, but they're often harder and more challenging that modern titles.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-break-out-of-my-dmd-fetish and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.