(Topic ID: 215116)

Help! Major recurring problem with Rustoleum 2x

By mrm_4

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20221029_113132463 (resized).jpg
    19B19997-B256-4A5B-BA42-96699901B298 (resized).jpeg
    AC22A8FA-AE2E-43EE-870F-A54CB0A16A7C (resized).jpeg
    66EA50BE-6578-4039-868F-1F9469EE7604 (resized).jpeg
    E5F00180-2F67-4DAD-95D1-5967D7637AB6 (resized).jpeg
    5E285D9E-8DB1-451D-8148-A97E249AEE6C (resized).jpeg
    A34982DC-A051-4367-90F4-12C756E93AC9 (resized).jpeg
    C0477D2F-D22F-4E68-9A70-9F5DFF5D845B (resized).jpeg
    2456A871-DE30-43CE-A3FC-2EB531FA5A31 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9916 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9802 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9799 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9756 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9753 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0764 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 5 years ago

I wonder if the back of the cabinet has been sitting stored vertically, on a concrete floor. It may have sucked moisture for years, preventing your primer/paint to fully cure.

On my Xenon, I had a similar issue where the back of the cabinet had sucked so much water and moisture from sitting on the ground/concrete, that it was warped and chipping. The little plastic feet are useless when it comes to isolating the cabinet from the ground.

Yes, try to isolate with Kilz (only the back), let it dry and paint one coat of yellow. Then place the machine against the wall.
    You will never look at it again.

Yves

#45 5 years ago

I had an e-Mail exchange with Jeff from Pinball Pimp, and he mentioned using the Rustoleum 2x Prime+Paint in Gloss for the Museum Quality restoration of his Mata Hari.

Of course, Jeff lives in Florida where the weather is hot but humid. Apparently, he has no problem with this brand of spray cans.

Mrm_4, I am like you, restoring a Mata Hari and about to embark with the Rustoleum spray cans that I just bought this morning. I have not started stripping the cabinet of its original paint and wondered how I will approach this delicate task:

- Roughly sand the original paint and patch holes and blemishes. Then paint over with the Marigold can, without any primer.
    - Take it down to the wood as you did, prime it and then paint with the Marigold Gloss.

I think I am going to try the lightbox first, and see how it reacts to the first option.

Yves

#59 5 years ago

Matt,

Don't beat yourself up for this. I think you suffered enough already.
    Your experience will serve other pinball enthusiasts, starting with me.
    Let's look at the bright side: your cabinet is almost finished and gorgeous to look at. I can see some plays looming in the horizons....

Yves

2 weeks later
    #73 5 years ago

Yes, Naphta is a killer on these glossy paints.

While painting the back of the cabinet I, too, (like an idiot) used Naphta to clean up and remove the dust particles before painting. In a couple of places, the wrinkles started appearing. Bummer.

I stopped immediately, let everything dry again, sanded to the best possible result and try to re-spray again. The result was a little bit better but the wrinkles tends to re-appear so slightly.

I am not using these paints ever again, for my next projects. I will go with Latex paint, sprayed.

Yves

#75 5 years ago

Matt,

I just got my stencils from Pimball Pimp. Needless to tell you I am very hesitant to ruin the cabinet/lightbox and the stencils with these Rustoleum Glossy spray paints.
    I noticed that you have had some luck with the lightbox, applying the red and the black.

I am thinking about trying to insulate the yellow coat with Polycrylic. I have used that clearcoat on all my pinball cabinets with an enormous success. It dries very clear, smooth and is very resistant to the touch and handling. I may try to put some Polycrylic on an inconspicuous area of Mata Hari and then use the stencils on top of that. I am still debating.....

Yves

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-major-recurring-problem-with-rustoleum-2x?tu=Arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.