You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image-481.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

My trex used to go down with no problems but I turned the machine on with the playfield up and after the machine went through the trex testing mode, it did not go down again.
I guess trex was tired and did not agree with going down with the playfield in the up position?
The trex goes up and down fine in diagnostics manually but won't go down during gameplay, please help.

#2 8 years ago

Try taking it to see a broadway show, I hear that usually works

#3 8 years ago

I find when they stop going down a nice dinner and some flowers can help....

#4 8 years ago

A little too late

#5 8 years ago

Shave. Nobody likes hair in their teeth.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Try taking it to see a broadway show, I hear that usually works

Nice reference Now if Stern would just make another SP........

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Nice reference Now if Stern would just make another SP........

Glad someone got it

#8 8 years ago

I guess your thread is devolving into unhelpful innuendos...

A couple things to check:
1. Is the t-rex saucer making good contact when the ball is in it?
2. When in t-rex diagnostics, are the up and down switches activating consistently?
3. In t-rex diagnostics, is the center switch getting activated?

My guess is that your up switch arm needs to be bent to where it's being activated for a longer duration when the motor is moving into the up position.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I guess your thread is devolving into unhelpful innuendos...
A couple things to check:
1. Is the t-rex saucer making good contact when the ball is in it?
2. When in t-rex diagnostics, are the up and down switches activating consistently?
3. In t-rex diagnostics, is the center switch getting activated?
My guess is that your up switch arm needs to be bent to where it's being activated for a longer duration when the motor is moving into the up position.

Thank you winteriscoming.
I think the saucer is making good contact because I do get the reaction out of the machine when the ball is in the saucer =points, sounds etc.
The up and down switches are activating consistently in diagnostics.
The left and right switches are activating consistently in diagnostics. (Even though the gears sound like crap)
The center switch is NOT activating in diagnostics. Could that be the problem?

#11 8 years ago

I had a similar problem with the up and down motor. I ended up replacing both. Expensive but well worth it

#12 8 years ago

my JP

had an issue where when T rex was down the jaw wouldn't close

not sure if related but the mech got gummed up and was kinda locked in place

have you tried the assembly without the Rex Shell?

see with him exposed if the assembly is trying to work

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from thetoyphantom:

The center switch is NOT activating in diagnostics. Could that be the problem?

That is the problem. If the t-rex doesn't know it is centered, then it won't go down.

It's going to be a matter of figuring out what's wrong with that switch. It will probably have to be accessed from underneath, but if you remove the plate with the foliage decals held on by 2 screws in front of the t-rex, you can see a little bit of what's going on with the center switch.

Is the switch arm being actuated when the t-rex is in the center? Is the switch arm broken? Is the switch bad? Is the wiring loose? Is the diode on the switch ok?

In both t-rex diagnostics and switch diagnostics you should be able to manually actuate the switch and see if it's registering. Maybe (hopefully) it's just something where the switch arm needs to be bent a little so that it makes better contact when the t-rex is in the center.

#14 8 years ago

That is the problem. If the t-rex doesn't know it is centered, then it won't go down.
It's going to be a matter of figuring out what's wrong with that switch. It will probably have to be accessed from underneath, but if you remove the plate with the foliage decals held on by 2 screws in front of the t-rex, you can see a little bit of what's going on with the center switch.
Is the switch arm being actuated when the t-rex is in the center? Is the switch arm broken? Is the switch bad? Is the wiring loose? Is the diode on the switch ok?
In both t-rex diagnostics and switch diagnostics you should be able to manually actuate the switch and see if it's registering. Maybe (hopefully) it's just something where the switch arm needs to be bent a little so that it makes better contact when the t-rex is in the center.

Thanks again winteriscoming
Ok the good thing is that I had bought a new switch last year feeling like I might need it down the road.
I installed the new switch but it is still NOT registering in diagnostics even when triggered by hand.
Top, bottom, right and left register in diagnostics but center does NOT.
I checked the wires leading to the switch and they look good, clean and snugged to the connector.
I also checked the diode and it does not look cracked or damaged.
I also Held a new diode in place but nothing.
The rom chips have also been upgraded to the latest 5.13, 5.10

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-481.jpgimage-481.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Hmm, well the T-rex not going down is the symptom... the problem is that switch. I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. A good test for the wires would be to check continuity between where they connect at the switch all the way to the connector in the back box.

You should also be able to test switches on the board by having the two switch connectors unplugged and bridging one pin from one header to one pin on the other header. If you can figure out which two are the center switch that will help.

I'm curious if the switch will register on the board. If not, the issue is on the board, otherwise the issue is in the connector/wiring.

#16 8 years ago

Mine is not going up and down. When it moves it is a "jerky" type movement. Now in test, it moves very slow and jerky, or not at all. Do I need a new up/down motor?

1 week later
#17 8 years ago

Hmm, well the T-rex not going down is the symptom... the problem is that switch. I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. A good test for the wires would be to check continuity between where they connect at the switch all the way to the connector in the back box.
You should also be able to test switches on the board by having the two switch connectors unplugged and bridging one pin from one header to one pin on the other header. If you can figure out which two are the center switch that will help.
I'm curious if the switch will register on the board. If not, the issue is on the board, otherwise the issue is in the connector/wiring.

Ok I tested all the T-Rex switches. I tested all the green wires on the switches using a voltmeter DC and this is what I got.
Top=4.30, Bottom=4.30, Right=4.29, Left=4.29 and Center only gave me 3.27??
The center switch is new and the diode was tested working fine. Why am I only getting 3.27 to the center?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Mine is not going up and down. When it moves it is a "jerky" type movement. Now in test, it moves very slow and jerky, or not at all. Do I need a new up/down motor?

Definitely sounds like it. When you replace it, make sure you install the latest rom set cpu5:13 and display5:10. They are suppose reduce the wear and tear on the left and right movement.
You can find them on eBay.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from thetoyphantom:

Ok I tested all the T-Rex switches. I tested all the green wires on the switches using a voltmeter DC and this is what I got.
Top=4.30, Bottom=4.30, Right=4.29, Left=4.29 and Center only gave me 3.27??
The center switch is new and the diode was tested working fine. Why am I only getting 3.27 to the center?

Here's what I suggest:

Test 1:
Rather than measuring voltage, I suggest measuring for continuity with the game off from the wires coming from the connectors at the MPU all the way to the Up switch. If you get continuity, then you know the wiring should be fine (though a pin on one of the connectors could still be questionable, but I'd expect a whole column/row of switches to be flaky if that's the case).

Test 2:
There are two connectors for the switches. I haven't confirmed how they're wired, but one should be the rows and one should be the columns for the switches. The Up switch should have a wire going to each of these connectors. You can check to see if the issue is in the playfield or if it's on the board by disconnecting both of those connectors and manually momentarily bridging a row and a column with a wire. If you know which two pins are the Up switch, you can start the game, get it into switch mode, bridge those two pins and see if the Up switch registers. If it registers, then you know the issue is in your playfield wiring, switches or the connectors. If it does not register, then the issue is on your board.

#20 8 years ago

Ok I noticed that all the switches that run off that same center switch Green with Black stripe do not work also due to the low voltage.
I did the continuity test from the green/black wire on center switch all the way up to the board CN8 connector green/black and I got continuity.
I then removed the mpu board and replaced that CN8 9pin connector and plug with a new one. I tested power supply and mpu board and both are giving me over 4.90 volts.
I am now getting 4.31 volts out of every T-Rex switch except the center green/black that is now giving me 3.70 volts plugged and 3.27 volts with plug removed.
All the switches running off that green with black stripe are still not working due to low voltage.
I was able to to switch wires on mpu plug so I could run the 4.31 volts to the green and black wire and confirm that everything was working on that wire including center switch and it did.
So it looks like my mpu is receiving 5 volts from power supply but not completely giving it out?

2 weeks later
#21 8 years ago

*PROBLEM SOLVED!*
Bad Transistor 2N3904 on CN8 pin 5, Q51. Checked with multimeter then removed and replaced. Fixed it myself. Thanks to everyone, especially winteriscoming.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-jurassic-park-t-rex-wont-go-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.