Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8065.JPG

#1 4 years ago

OK I need help.

#1 Keep in mind im an idiot.

Went to install the gate mod by goodtobedad and clipped the wrong wires. I clipped 3 wires, a yellow, and two red at the wrong spot. See pic.

IMG_8065.JPG

Since I realized this at the moment I clipped the third wire, I said hell, if I need to pull the iron out to fix this, why not solder in the gate as well at the same time. Got it all soldered back the way it was, flipped the game on, crazy ghosting of some inserts. I thought maybe I switched the red wires on the mess up re-solder, so i turned it off and swapped the wires. Same issue.

Game plays fine, but the C, H, Ramp JACKPOT, and a few other inserts are now ghosting as well as one of the pop bumpers it looks like. The gate lights up and flashes during bone busting as it should.

Here is a short video showing the ghosting.

Any ideas? Bad solder job maybe? I cant figure this out. I messed up, so pissed.

#2 4 years ago

Is that diode facing the correct direction ?

#3 4 years ago

Disclaimer - I'm not familiar with this mod nor JP in general, but just some general observations.

If you soldered all the original wires you removed back to their original location, I would suspect either the mod wiring (does it need a diode with it?) or maybe your resoldering fried that diode pictured by getting it too hot.

I would try removing the mod first to see if that fixes it. You'd only need to unsolder one of the wires from the mod to test the theory.

#4 4 years ago

Diode too hot is the best ive heard so far. I may have one sitting around. Can i test it still on the machine or do i need to desolder it first?

Thanks for the help fellas.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Can i test it still on the machine or do i need to desolder it first?

Without knowing how the mod is wired, it's impossible to answer that question. Therefore I would lift one end of the diode. Before doing that though I would remove the mod and see if the problem goes away.

#6 4 years ago

Doesn't that MOD have the flickering lights? Maybe that is whats causing the ghosting. Worth a shot.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Doesn't that MOD have the flickering lights? Maybe that is whats causing the ghosting. Worth a shot.

oooo...good point. ok, I will remove it tonight and report back. Thanks guys!

2 weeks later
#8 4 years ago

Got a replacement gate to see if that was the issue. It is not. Something is either wrong with my machine, or another sound related/other mod issue is causing the problem with everything. I just wanted to vouch for Goodtobedad, his mod is very nice and is not causing this issue. Carry on.

#9 4 years ago

You have a lamp matrix problem. It could be diode isolation issue on the playfield, specially if it happened when you clipped wires, did you hit a diode too? I can't tell from the picture what is going on at the termination block.

It is also possible if you moved a wire to the wrong place, you damaged the driver board. I would take steps to make 100% sure you have your PF wiing correct. Sega and DE manuals are pretty darn good, you should have all the lamp matrix info you need in there. If everything is okay on the PF, time to suspect something on the driver board.

#10 4 years ago

Lots of this Era data east games have a lot of sockets wired backwards. Doubt this is it but might be worth a try. Certain flashers won't work without rewiring the sockets. Perhaps since there were two red wires you mixed them up.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

OK I need help.
#1 Keep in mind im an idiot.

You're not an idiot. You just didn't learn your lesson about labeling wires until this. BTDT over and over.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside