(Topic ID: 198010)

(SOLVED) Jokerz REALLY loud feedback noise (Not the normal Jokerz hum)

By Oldschool77

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by stoptap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago

I had a severe hum on my Jokerz and it was caused by a failed bridge rectifier. Same thing as the filter caps really but more drastic.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

Well recapped the board, and it helped a tad. I'd say the hum is about 70% as loud as prior to recap. The AC ripple is "in spec" now, but it's still insanely loud. Luckily i have my fully functioning Taxi right next to it with the same power board. And as i mentioned before, when i put the Taxi power board in the Jokerz the Jokerz works just fine. So i feel like i can rule out anything other than the power board.
So at this point, unless someone has any suggestions of where else to check on the board, I'm going to power up both games up, without the sound boards connected, and compare voltages all over both boards until i can isolate another component that isn't consistent with the Taxi's power board.
Also...how do i know if the rectifier is bad? Would it show up on the test points?

I'd change the bridge rectifier on the power board. Cheap and easy to do.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

Replaced the rectifier and all is good now, thanks for all the help!!!
On a side note.....I'm only at around 11.4VDC.....is that within acceptable limits, or should i worry that something else may be on it's way out too? Everything plays and sounds normal (as normal as it can be for Jokerz lol)

Leave it be mate. It will be fine.
Told ya about the rectifier Don't know what it is about Jokerz (probably the one of a kind sound board) but it is very sensitive to ac ripple.
Great that you have fixed it. Simple, but fun game.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

Thanks! Will do! And i agree. When i put the power board in my Taxi, there was a little bit of hum, but barely noticeable.
Yeah Jokerz is fun, my kids love raising the drawbridge and getting the super easy multi ball! If it was my only game I'd probably get bored, but the family likes it, and it's a really really (Python!!!) nice looking game so that's worth it to me!

Jokerz was the first game I bought so it has a special place in my heart. I actually know where it is and I could buy it back if I wished but I am all modern Sterns these days.

I LOVE the music on Jokerz when you get a high score.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-jokerz-really-loud-feedback-noise-not-the-normal-jokerz-hum?tu=stoptap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.