Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey all! Just got JD all put back together and everything was working great except the center scoop wasn't registering. I turned the game off, raised the playfield and realized I left the connector to the switches disconnected. I re-connected the connectors, lowered the playfield, powered the game on and went into coil test to eject a ball to manually test the scoop. As soon as I closed the coin door, the machine shut off like it was going to reset but no lights came on and the launch coil locked on and the planet and crane arm continued to run. I powered the game off immediately and checked over things. I smelled a faint burning smell but couldn't track it down. I checked over things below the playfield and in the backbox. All looked good so I turned the game back on. Nothing appeared to lock on but now the planet and the crane continuously run but no lights come on, DMD is off and the game never starts.

I'm not sure where to go from here to start troubleshooting and I certainly don't want to do any damage. Anyone kind souls care to guide me in the right direction?

#2 6 years ago

Unplug what ever you plugged in. Then pull fuses off of driver board and check with a meter. Any bad fuses ? Replace, leave thing unplugged, try again.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Do you have any reference photos from before the connectors were unplugged? There's a couple of them that can sometimes get mixed up.

#4 6 years ago

Did you unplug any ribbon cables? If so, you may have one end plugged in one row off.

#5 6 years ago

LTG ForceFlow PinballManiac40 Thank you all so much for the help! I tested all fuses on the driver board and none of them were bad. (I did pull each one prior to testing).

I also left the recently connected connector disconnected but I am sure it is correct by my pre-teardown photos and I labeled each side of the connector.

Ribbon cables were seated properly and game worked fine for about a week prior to this occurrence. I played the game for a while before realizing the scoop/jackpot shot was not registering. To rule them out, I went ahead and re-seated all ribbon cables.

I tried firing up the game and nothing happens now. No lights, no bong from the sound board, no spinning deadworld or moving crane arm. All the LED lights on the driver board light up except LED 3 which is normal and LED 5 which is not normal.

On the CPU board, D19 and D21 are lit solid and D20 appears to repeatedly flash one time. According to the manual, it says U6 is bad. I did remove and re-seat U6 but it did not help. I do have another U6 chip running later software but I didn't change it out because I don't want to risk damage to a second ROM.

Should I go ahead and replace U6 or are there some other troubleshooting steps I should take first? Thanks!

#6 6 years ago

Try giving the ASIC and the CPU [6809] a good press down in the socket and any other chips that are socketed on the CPU board.
I would unplug all switches on the CPU board and everything on the driver board except where the power comes in on the right and where it goes out to the CPU board on the left. you should be able to get it to boot with nothing else plugged in.
If you have a computer power supply, you can test it on the bench with 5v, 12v and ground. would help you rule out if it's a power issue or a CPU board issue.

#7 6 years ago

Also, looks like you have drac and fish tales. could try those CPU boards in it. Or test your rom in one of those. won't hurt anything just to see if it boots up.
You just have to start ruling things out.
good luck!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

As soon as I closed the coin door, the machine shut off like it was going to reset but no lights came on and the launch coil locked on and the planet and crane arm continued to run

As soon as you close the door, the high voltage is enabled. It sounds like you maybe have a short so I would check all the coils where a lug may be shorted to something else.

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-jd-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.