(Topic ID: 147967)

Help indentifying connectors

By Topcard

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1795_(2)_(resized).JPG
    IMG_8666_(resized).JPG
    IMG_8598_(resized).JPG
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    IMG_1794_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1796_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1795_(1)_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1792_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1793_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1781_(1)_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

Is there a site that lists connectors and the corresponding male/female connector pins that go with them? I am just getting in to SS games and have started repinning some connectors, but it seems I have to search multiple sites for what I think are the right parts and size. (.156, .100, .93 etc.) How do you even know what's/what? I don't see them identified in a manual and when I look on sites like PBR, I see the list female pins, but not the male pins and so on. I know this is probably simple, but it's driving me nuts.

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Add a photo.... games have several...so, it depends.

After you see a few different connectors, you'll be an expert.
    faz

#3 8 years ago

If you have digital calipers, set it to inches and measure the diameter of the male pin. That should give you the size.

#4 8 years ago

For Bally/Stern, from 78-89, you should be mostly set with .100 and .156.

GPE is a great source and has a cheap bag of 100 for the .100s---you should keep these on hand. Housings don't need to be replaced unless they're damaged.

IDC connectors on 6803 games can be replaced with molex crimps.

#5 8 years ago

IMG_1781_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_1781_(1)_(resized).JPG

IMG_1793_(resized).JPGIMG_1793_(resized).JPG

IMG_1792_(resized).JPGIMG_1792_(resized).JPG

IMG_1795_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_1795_(1)_(resized).JPG

IMG_1796_(resized).JPGIMG_1796_(resized).JPG

IMG_1794_(resized).JPGIMG_1794_(resized).JPG

#6 8 years ago

What game is it?

I assume it is a Williams System 3-7?

Looks to be a complete mess as far as connectors...

#7 8 years ago

Sorry, posted the pictures without the description. The first photo is of a connector from my Paragon that I deduced was a .156 and replaced. The second photo is out of the cabinet of my High Speed. I found a loose wire but don't know what I need to fix it. Perhaps a male .156? The fourth photo is of a connector leading to the power supply on my Road Kings. It shows burn marks and some melting. I need to know the name of that connector and the types of pins to replace. The next photo is of the connectors leading to the power supply on my High Speed. I'm assuming those are .156 and am replacing the. I could really use a clear photo of that connector that shows where the different colored wires go, as mine were all bound together with electrical tape and soldered to the board. The other picture is just another connector from my Paragon. I assume that is a .100? If so, when does one most often encounter a .93?

Thanks for all the input.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

Sorry, posted the pictures without the description. The first photo is of a connector from my Paragon that I deduced was a .156 and replaced. The second photo is out of the cabinet of my High Speed. I found a loose wire but don't know what I need to fix it. Perhaps a male .156? The fourth photo is of a connector leading to the power supply on my Road Kings. It shows burn marks and some melting. I need to know the name of that connector and the types of pins to replace. The next photo is of the connectors leading to the power supply on my High Speed. I'm assuming those are .156 and am replacing the. I could really use a clear photo of that connector that shows where the different colored wires go, as mine were all bound together with electrical tape and soldered to the board. The other picture is just another connector from my Paragon. I assume that is a .100? If so, when does one most often encounter a .93?
    Thanks for all the input.

The one from Paragon is a .100.

I see a bunch of IDC type connectors, replace those with crimp type of any require replacement.

Can't help with the block type in-line connectors as I haven't had to do any yet!

#9 8 years ago

Round pins in most Bally/WMS pins are .062 or .093. The bigger ones are .093

Square pins are .100 or .156. The bigger ones are .156

Those should just about get everything. Granted, in many cases, you will need 2 wire sizes of a given pin, depending on whether they have a 22 gauge wire, an 18 gauge wire, etc.

To further add insult to injury, I use 4 different sized crimpers for 4 different sized pins. You may be able to find 1 that does all 4.

#10 8 years ago

John,

When you say "round pins" are you referring to the ones in the photo of the connector in the cabinet of the High Speed?

Aslo, the boards that are missing in the High Speed head are the ones you are working on. How are they coming?

Thanks

Peter Barry

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Round pins in most Bally/WMS pins are .062 or .093. The bigger ones are .193
    Square pins are .100 or .156. The bigger ones are .156
    Those should just about get everything. Granted, in many cases, you will need 2 wire sizes of a given pin, depending on whether they have a 22 gauge wire, an 18 gauge wire, etc.
    To further add insult to injury, I use 4 different sized crimpers for 4 different sized pins. You may be able to find 1 that does all 4.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

John, When you say "round pins" are you referring to the ones in the photo of the connector in the cabinet of the High Speed?

I'm not one to correct Mr. John Wart Jr. but that second .193 was a typo for sake of clarity (unless there are .193" pins used somewhere). Should've said the bigger ones are 0.093". I'm not sure if it's a hard rule, but the round pins often have male/female ends that plug into each other while the square pins are plugged into a set of header pins on a board.

0.093" round pins, you can probably find a connector like this by the transformer:

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

0.062" round pins, you can find some under playfields

0.100" square pins, for example the adorable thin gauge wire connectors for the switch matrix

0.156" square pins, all over the PCBs with the thicker gauge wire, a good example being the GI connector

#12 8 years ago

That's a big help.

Thanks!

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'm not one to correct Mr. John Wart Jr. but that second .193 was a typo for sake of clarity (unless there are .193" pins used somewhere). Should've said the bigger ones are 0.093".

I'm human, was a typo that I corrected. Thanks for pointing it out

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

John,
    When you say "round pins" are you referring to the ones in the photo of the connector in the cabinet of the High Speed?
    Aslo, the boards that are missing in the High Speed head are the ones you are working on. How are they coming?
    Thanks
    Peter Barry

Everything but the power supply is done, waiting on NVRAM to arrive in the mail and finishing up the power supply now. Expect the NVRAM any day now and then will be able to ship!

The hole... is gone!

And more importantly, the switch matrix now works!

IMG_8598_(resized).JPGIMG_8598_(resized).JPG
    IMG_8666_(resized).JPGIMG_8666_(resized).JPG

#15 8 years ago

Sound great John.

Thanks!

#16 8 years ago

So can anyone identify the type of connector and pin used in this photo? Even after the explanations, which I appreciate, I am still uncertain on this one.

Thanks

IMG_1795_(2)_(resized).JPGIMG_1795_(2)_(resized).JPG

#18 8 years ago

Ordering it now. Thanks!

#19 8 years ago

Need a few of these too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-indentifying-connectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.