You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sw_post.jpg
seawitch_post.jpg
0424121028a.jpg
#1 11 years ago

My Seawitch is still not working properly--left flipper is dead--and I can't figure out what's wrong. Basics have been covered, and everything looks correct. While I'm reasonably smart and generally not an idiot, I'm really in over my head here and it's time to call in someone who actually knows what they're doing. Any suggestions on who might be able to help? Would love to have someone come to the house, but we'll haul it somewhere else if necessary.

#2 11 years ago

Game Exchange of Colorado . Denver CO. Give them a call. You may need to bring pinball to them. If so ask for Chuck to work on your pinball. He is an expert . I am standing on the right and Chuck is on the left. He was helping me fine tune my NIB LOTR L.E. before I brought it home.

0424121028a.jpg0424121028a.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Sent you a PM with contact information for Tom Grobe, he is one of the best techs around and as helped me and some friends up North multiple times with issues

#4 11 years ago

I agree with bemmett, but also consider Dan Gutchess at Classic Arcade Resource.

Btw, I have a Seawitch maybe I can help also.

Jon

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! Bemmett, another friend of ours had recommended Tom, but it's been tough to get him on the phone. Will keep trying. Is it best to just keep leaving him voicemails, or is text better?

eXidy, my left flipper is dead following a rebuild of all the flippers, including new coils. Everything is connected correctly, nothing looks wrong. Even tried another new coil, lest the first one was bad. No such luck. If you've got ideas, would love to hear them!! Frustrating to have the game not playable after all that work

#6 11 years ago

A flipper rebuild usually doesn't include new coils. Was there a reason you changed the coils out?

Quoted from Simkie:

following a rebuild of all the flippers, including new coils.

#7 11 years ago

Is there voltage to the coil?

#8 11 years ago

Check voltages, check the wires make sure there is no break, check the actual button itself to make sure its functions/has continuity and definitely check the transistor that controls the flipper.

#9 11 years ago

I don't think there is a transistor for the flippers on old bally/sterns. There is a relay on the P/D board that energizes the circuit, then the flipper switches themselves complete it. Could be bad solder joints on the relay, burnt trace, or maybe bad header pins.
I would offer to fix, but the 3 hour drive to Ft. Collins (and back) is a deal breaker.
LMK if you want to bring it to Denver to get repaired, at a reasonable cost.

#10 11 years ago

Donavan is a great Op! he can help you if offered i'm sure.

#11 11 years ago

I replaced the coils because they were *ancient* and there was some burning evident on the paper wrappers. One of the coils for the upper flippers was dead already and I figured the others were not terribly far behind and I might as well swap them out while I had everything apart. The other ones work, so I don't think that there's an overall problem in my work?

I believe the coil is getting power when the flipper button is pushed--the coil hums and the plunger moves a mm or so. I don't know how to check voltage or relay joints or header pins, but if you speak slowly and in small words, I'm very good at following directions

#12 11 years ago

Sounds like the plunger isn't aligned properly into the coil, a mechanical issue maybe?

#13 11 years ago

Nope, the plunger moves freely in the coil sleeve.

#14 11 years ago

Sounds like the end of stroke switch isn't closing (enough), so you are only getting the hold power.
Try closing it more, maybe even pinch it together a bit. Try not to get shocked. (it just bites a bit)

I think you may be close.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Sounds like the end of stroke switch isn't closing (enough), so you are only getting the hold power.
Try closing it more, maybe even pinch it together a bit. Try not to get shocked. (it just bites a bit)

I think you may be close.

Give the man a cigar! Flippers now work! And they feel GREAT. AWESOME.

New problem: the right outside post behind the middle bank of drop targets has given up the ghost. It was threatening, but on the fourth ball after getting the flippers going, it took a hit and let go. It no longer screws into the hole securely and the rubber pulls it right out. What now?

(Sigh, this game has been one thing after another.)

#16 11 years ago

I assume that is a post that screws into the playfield, not one that goes all the way through to a nut?

If so, get a bamboo skewer (they are really cheap at the grocery store for BBQing and such). Little wood glue on it, and put the tapered end in the screw hole. Cut it off flush and let it dry, then you can reinstall the post. A small pilot hole will help install. I have heard other methods, like mixing up a filler with sawdust and wood glue, or buying a wood filler, but I think the skewer works well. Plus it is a very cheap fix.

Good luck.

#17 11 years ago

I wish it went all the way through! That sure would make it easier to fix. It's a flat ended screw post and it goes into the playfield about 2 mm before hitting some sort of metal. I thought perhaps I could drill the hole just a little deeper to give it more purchase, but that didn't work. I also tried gluing it with gorilla glue, and that didn't work, either.

Is the goal with the bamboo skewer to fill the hole completely? Basically fill it, redrill a small hole, insert post?

#18 11 years ago

Yes, that is the goal. Bamboo has some flex to it so it will push into the grooves in the hole pretty well.

Just be careful cutting it off flush, you do not want to scratch the playfield.

#19 11 years ago

I wish it went all the way through! That sure would make it easier to fix. It's a flat ended screw post and it goes into the playfield about 2 mm before hitting some sort of metal.

The post does go all the way through. Sounds like you broke the post screw. Here is a pic of the original setup. Stern post screws are installed through the bottom of the playfield. You need to tap out the broken piece from the topside of the playfield and find a replacement.

seawitch_post.jpgseawitch_post.jpg sw_post.jpgsw_post.jpg

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

The post does go all the way through. Sounds like you broke the post screw. Here is a pic of the original setup. Stern post screws are installed through the bottom of the playfield. You need to tap out the broken piece from the topside of the playfield and find a replacement.

Holy shit! I had no idea! Thank you so much!

Have it tapped out and will pick up a replacement today.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Simkie:

Give the man a cigar! Flippers now work!

Glad you got it fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 10.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-in-northern-colorado and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.