Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Brokedad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HPIM1073.JPG
    HPIM1074.JPG
    HPIM1070.JPG
    HPIM1064.JPG
    HPIM1063.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

I recently inherited a pinball machine from my great-uncle. I know almost nothing about it. It is a baseball game; but has no identifying markings, no names or numbers. I was wondering if anyone could help me find out anything about it, or where I could find something out.

HPIM1063.JPGHPIM1063.JPG HPIM1064.JPGHPIM1064.JPG

#2 12 years ago

I think you will have to find some more info inside
    look for MFG's stamps on parts, metal parts etc

#3 12 years ago

I stared at the carpet and started hallucinating.

#5 12 years ago

I wonder if this is a 'table top' that I keep reading about?
    the bottom does look like a table but perhaps from the 1920s??

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I stared at the carpet and started hallucinating.

LOL..LOL..LOL

#7 12 years ago

I searched the table for any manufacturer marking and I couldn't find anything. It just wood, brass screws and hinges. It's very simple in it's design. There is a cover that goes on the top as well. HPIM1070.JPGHPIM1070.JPG

#8 12 years ago

Do you think it was a custom made game by a carpenter ?
    or is there some type of machinery inside?

#9 12 years ago

It's all simply made, probably carpenter by the looks of it. I talked to my grandmother and she said that the family story is that it holds a patent. But the rights were lost in a divorce but the table stayed with the original maker. I haven't been able to find out any names. All I know is it was passed down through the Postlewait family to me.

#10 12 years ago

From the arced wear it looks like there is one big moving flipper on the right side. Clean that sucker up and send us a picture after. It has the appearance of a bagatelle machine.

#11 12 years ago

Perhaps you ran the family name through the U.S. Patent office you might get a hit or even a picture with more info?

#12 12 years ago

I cleaned it the best I could but a lot did not come off. I've tried looking for the patent and not found anything. On the right there is the flipper as well as 2 trap doors on the play field. Here's a cleaned up picture and a close up of the flipper area.

HPIM1074.JPGHPIM1074.JPG HPIM1073.JPGHPIM1073.JPG

#13 12 years ago

From the looks of it, the playfield is originally wood with the red lettering. So it doesn't look as if there was any other artwork on it. I would possibly take it to a furniture restorer to see if they could take/lift the playfield up to see if there are any markings. Also have them give it a good professional cleaning but never ever refinish it. It is always worth more with the original dings, marks/finish.

You could also contact a baseball museum and see if they know who, where, and why and when it was made. Possibly.
    Play Ball Chester Pollard 1929
    Play Ball H. C. Evans 1941 Brooklyn Amusement
    Play Ball Genco 1942
    Probably not the last ones as I think they were coin op.

You could try this guy he deals in antique machines

Call anytime 630-408-8808 (Bob) or e-mail [email protected]

Some documentation will always make it worth more.
    Cool and interesting. Keep us posted on what you find out.
    Antiques roadshow?

#14 12 years ago

Just guessing big time:

The big Y thing is an OUT
    The other outlanes are single, double, triple, Home Run

The red marks I can't see well. It reminds me of the Poosh-M-Up Jr. I have hanging on my wall.

#15 12 years ago

Those old games used marbles I read,
    had a link on the pre-war collectors page where to buy them

#16 12 years ago

@erak: as far as I know nothing has been touched other than me just washing it up with a bit of wood furniture cleaner. And the under side of the table is very simple. There is really no way to lift the top from what I see. There is virtually no metallic mechanisms other than just hinges and screws which are all bronze which makes me think it's very old.

@brokedad: You're right and the writing next to the flipper is the strike.

@Hellodeadcity: This used to have marbles from what my mom said, but they were lost when we moved it to my house.

#17 12 years ago

It is entirely possible that that so called "early pinball machine" was acutally built by a Bigfoot community. Are the knobs and buttons extra large? Did you find any strange hair? I speculate that it came from a forest in Oregon.

#18 12 years ago

I think that's a pretty awesome piece. I have a coffee table in my living room about that size, and people would just flip if I could take off the top and it was suddenly an antique pinball game.

I agree with erak; it doesn't look like the machine had much in the way of painted graphics. I would try getting a furniture shop to restore it.

#19 12 years ago

Does it have a coin mech?

#20 12 years ago

No it doesn't have any coin mechanism. It's very basic, which makes me wonder if this was made for home or small shop use instead of commercial use.

#21 12 years ago

Or it's old enough to have sat in a bar somewhere. It would work as a standing table for drinks, or the top could come off for people to play, kind of like asking for the dice at a bar today.

#22 12 years ago

Letter K is right .. prolly a bar thing. The old bagatelles were handheld to be hidden and passed around or like yours hidden under a table top. Remember the old gambling laws etc.

You have a rare piece of history. Preserve it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-identifying-very-old-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.