(Topic ID: 234689)

Help identifying this screw type on my WOZ?

By harryhoudini

88 days ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by harryhoudini
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0125191334a (resized).jpg
0125191334 (resized).jpg

#1 88 days ago

What kind of screw head is this? Do I need a special driver?

I *guess* that is just from the ball bashing it? The door also has some wear in the same spot, it's all dented in. I sliced a groove in the screw with my dremel and was able to get it out and re-use it. Maybe I can, seriously, just order the screws? And I just placed an order too.

At least in that order I got the witch motor and the door motor which solved those two issues, so the game is going back together!

0125191334 (resized).jpg0125191334a (resized).jpg
#2 88 days ago

Used to be a phillips head screw. Check the manual for the door mechanism drawings to get size.

I'd cut a slot in it and tru and unscrew with a flat head screw driver.

LTG : )

#3 88 days ago

6-32 X 1/4" PPH MS Black

#4 88 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

6-32 X 1/4" PPH MS Black

Yeah, that's what I did with the slot.

Thanks... guess I'll try to source that... no promises, I'll probably forget.

#5 88 days ago

Try looking at MSC or McMaster Carr for the screw.

#6 88 days ago

I placed one of these on a new screw. I'm hoping it prevents future damage to screw and ball. amazon.com link »

#7 87 days ago
Quoted from sjohn26148:

I placed one of these on a new screw. I'm hoping it prevents future damage to screw and ball. amazon.com link »

SMART!

#8 87 days ago

Im using these pliers:

amazon.com link »

The screw is soft steel and the teeth dig in really well if you hold the screw close to the door tightly and use firm constant pressure.

I have replaced 6 right door motors on my castle playfield and each time there was no way to use a screwdriver.
I tried carefully cutting a slot but the steel is so soft it doesnt hold the tool well enough.

I got the little pliers at home depot on a hunch they would work.

When you order door motors from JJP, also get a couple door posts and a dozen of the door screws with lock washers, as well as the allen screws for the motor shaft.

I have had the allen screws heads pop off when removing the motors, its a very tight place to try to apply heat on the loctite.

Its too much trouble extracting the screw, so just put on a new post.

I use these little pliers all the time. They work well for tightening troll head screws etc. or any time I cant reach a screw or a nut with a regular nut driver.

The key to this tool is the super hard black steel, thin profile and very sharp teeth. Exactly what is needed here.

So, grab a pair at home depot if they still have them.

#9 87 days ago

I sliced a line in my screw and got it out (and reused it.. up top). I just had to replace one of the motors... didn't see an issue with the door shafts, what would happen to those? Same with the allen screws.. came out fine and doesn't seem to be a need to replace them.

And why so many motors?!

#10 87 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I sliced a line in my screw and got it out (and reused it.. up top). I just had to replace one of the motors... didn't see an issue with the door shafts, what would happen to those? Same with the allen screws.. came out fine and doesn't seem to be a need to replace them.
And why so many motors?!

pinballgoddess at work here, its her favorite game.

My game gets a lot of play. 10k+ plays as of this week. Home use only! Factory settings with a liberal ball save, extra balls instead of replays...

A lot of the games are 10 ball games from what the audits show.

I change the balls every 350 plays and wax the playfield, replace any shredded rubber.

Audits show over a million flips per flipper, flippers completely rebuilt 4 times now, 2nd glinda target,, grease monkey and witch threaded rods etc...

Just regular maintenance.

One odd repair was a screw head popped off on a right castle door one day, but it came out with my little pliers and I didnt have to pull the playfield out lol.

This being said, The game looks like new and plays like new! JJP games are built like tanks.

The key is in the maintenance, And like Vid1900 constantly says: WAX the playfield regularly, It will last forever.

#11 87 days ago

Nice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, NH
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.95
$ 11,500.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rio Rancho, NM

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside