View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 4.55.10 AM (resized).png
image_2021-12-05_221850 (resized).png
IMG_6934 (resized).jpg
IMG_6933 (resized).jpg
IMG_6932 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here in Pinside, I am in Australia and would appreciate any help identifying the two broken relays in the back box of my OLD CHICAGO Pinball machine so I am able to order replacements.

I purchased this machine as a bit of a basket case, the cabinet was rough and the playfield shows signs of planking. I have cleaned and checked all the switches etc on the main board. I also have repaired and repainted the cabinet and the back box, I have replaced the back glass and am just getting started the back box electrics, hence the need for the relays, slowly it is starting to come back together. I thought the relays had little labels on them, but the broken relays have no identifying labels or numbers on the them. I am hoping that some one who owns a complete OLD CHICAGO machine will be able to help out.

I have included three photos showing the two broken relays and the back box to show the general location of these relays.

The score reels are absolutely filthy form being stored in a shed for a long while before I purchased it, can anyone advise the best way to clean these without removing the numbers?

Any help and assistance in identifying these relays would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Col Mornane

IMG_6932 (resized).jpgIMG_6932 (resized).jpgIMG_6933 (resized).jpgIMG_6933 (resized).jpgIMG_6934 (resized).jpgIMG_6934 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Hi Col-Mornane,

If you go to https://www.ipdb.org and type in your machine, it will come up with all the info you need. I went ahead and looked and it's a go, they got the info you need.

Here is an example from one of the pages in the manual. You should be able to go through the whole machine and find out what every single part is, with part numbers.

Also handy to have is a Digital Multimeter and going to this website : https://www.pinwiki.com
Pinwiki can show you how to test various parts with the DMM so you don't have to "shot gun" parts into the machine, as they say.

-Cheers
image_2021-12-05_221850 (resized).pngimage_2021-12-05_221850 (resized).png

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from JadedHesher:

Hi Col-Mornane,
If you go to https://www.ipdb.org and type in your machine, it will come up with all the info you need. I went ahead and looked and it's a go, they got the info you need.
Here is an example from one of the pages in the manual. You should be able to go through the whole machine and find out what every single part is, with part numbers.
Also handy to have is a Digital Multimeter and going to this website : https://www.pinwiki.com
Pinwiki can show you how to test various parts with the DMM so you don't have to "shot gun" parts into the machine, as they say.
-Cheers
[quoted image]

Thanks for the information, I had already viewed the Internet pinball data base the image in your posting looks like it supplied is from the Old Chicago pinball machine manual. I have already looked there but there is no diagram that identifies the broken relays in my machine located in the back box. I could search the schematic for the coloured wire that connects to the two relays concerned. I thought it would be easier if someone with a complete machine could identify them in the first instance. Then using that information and the reference material source suitable replacements.

Regards
Col Mornane

#4 2 years ago

The incomplete part in your middle picture is the knocker. The parts missing in your knocker are the coil and plunger. Coil should be #AK-27-1300. Not sure of the plunger, but both can be ordered from PBR.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 4.55.10 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-06 at 4.55.10 AM (resized).png
#5 2 years ago

What you are missing is the knocker and it looks like your match unit is in pieces. I have a spare of both.

#6 2 years ago

As far as cleaning the score reels - I have used plain water on a rag, and wiped easy - if too heavy, you can wash the ink off. In my experience, any type of window cleaner will remove the ink, and on some, even alcohol will remove the ink.

I recommend you try on one small area to see if the water works. If it does, then do small sections at a time - the rag should not be dripping wet - you don't want dirt tracks running down the reel.

#7 2 years ago

Cleaning reels can be really tricky. I have a Bally "Flip Flop" here which I am doing for a customer. He gave me a spare head, which was very rough. I tried cleaning some of the reels from it to install on the keeper game. It seemed that where heavy dirt sat on the reels, something attacked and loosened the ink. Those numbers came off with any kind of cleaning. The other parts of the same reel were more durable, and even a paper towel dampened with Windex was safe to use.
The bottom line is, every case is different, and you need to proceed with extreme care when attempting to clean any plastic score reel. And....have a black Sharpie handy!

#8 2 years ago

Would nova 1 be ok?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Would nova 1 be ok?

Maybe. As jrpinball said, "every case is different."

I have used windex and alcohol. On some reels it works fine. Careful, it may remove the paint on yours.
I have used mild soap and water. On some reels it works fine. No guarantees it will work on yours.

All depends on the paints used during production and the environment your reels resided in. A little missing paint can be repaired with a steady hand and a Sharpie (again, as jrpinball stated).

#10 2 years ago

I had bad luck with alcohol on one of my machines.

On the bright side, I asked with regard to a four player game and am lucky to find even a second player. So I can test with the 5 on player four… no one will ever see it.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I had bad luck with alcohol on one of my machines.
On the bright side, I asked with regard to a four player game and am lucky to find even a second player. So I can test with the 5 on player four… no one will ever see it.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"21126ee6cff0ea5638f4bf47ae84b432db29a59f-1638824571-1800"};
//]]>

Alcohol? What strength?
I've heard of using everything from Wonder Bread to Novus 2.
I once had a friend call me and said he cleaned the reels on his newly acquired "Flip A Card" with Castrol Super Clean. And that was the original formula Super Clean, which was much stronger than the stuff they sell now.
I asked him how he can tell what his score is, because there couldn't possibly be any numbers left on the reels. But, amazingly, they came out squeaky clean without any damage. It's a mystery why some are so fragile, and others seem impervious to any cleaning method.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Alcohol? What strength?

91%. As soon as I saw what I’d done I did a ‘Doh! and got out the Sharpie. I’ve used Novus 1 ok, but not on a Bally. This will be my first Bally EM.

#13 2 years ago

I'm sure it's posted but how come score reels are not made?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

I'm sure it's posted but how come score reels are not made?

All that needs to be made are sticky overlays which can be applied to the original reels.
I believe someone has made some for some applications, but I asked PBR if there were any available for Bally reels, and the response was negatory.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

All that needs to be made are sticky overlays which can be applied to the original reels.
I believe someone has made some for some applications, but I asked PBR if there were any available for Bally reels, and the response was negatory.

I suppose decals are ok and they have there place in the industry. Is that what the pros use when restoring and machine for a client?

#16 2 years ago

*a machine*

#17 2 years ago

The match unit, or more properly the 00-90 unit is the one that is all apart and apparently missing the coil. It is called the 00-90 unit step-up solenoid so if you use the reference chart on the schematic from a IPDB to locate that you will see it is labeled as CD-29-1600.

This post might help you to get the 00-90 unit back together and running.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-00-90-match-unit-torn-down-analyzed-and-demystified

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The match unit, or more properly the 00-90 unit is the one that is all apart and apparently missing the coil. It is called the 00-90 unit step-up solenoid so if you use the reference chart on the schematic from a IPDB to locate that you will see it is labeled as CD-29-1600.
This post might help you to get the 00-90 unit back together and running.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-00-90-match-unit-torn-down-analyzed-and-demystified

Thanks guys! You are all the best!

Now I know what the relays are, I will try and source them locally from our pinball spare parts store. If I have no luck there, I will arrange international. There is still a lot of work to do to the machine so I am not in a hurry. After I clean and check the back box electrics and replace the 00-90 unit, the knocker, I then have to clean the score reels I will try cleaning one on the forth player maybe the 9 on the ten thousands reel to see what happens. The message seems to be to proceed with caution! After this is finished I need to tackle the playfield, but slowly slowly.

I really appreciate all the help and time, along with your good advice that you have all offered me. It has helped me more than you will know.

Regards
Col Mornane.

#19 2 years ago

Steppers are all going to need de-gunked.

#20 2 years ago

A small amount of dish washing soap in warm water and my reels all come clean with no loss of numbers. Those are Williams reels though.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A small amount of dish washing soap in warm water and my reels all come clean with no loss of numbers. Those are Williams reels though.

I will let you all know the results I get from cleaning the reels, hopefully they will come up great. Due to work commitments it maybe a week.

Regards
Col Mornane

#22 2 years ago

No rush… I’ve got a machine and a half before I get to my OC. Unless I bump it up in line ahead of Drop A Card.

I’ve taken the home screen shortcuts off my phone for OfferUp and FB Marketplace so I can’t be tempted until everything I already have is ready to play.

#23 2 years ago

1st question : do you like the band Rush?

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

No rush… I’ve got a machine and a half before I get to my OC. Unless I bump it up in line ahead of Drop A Card.
I’ve taken the home screen shortcuts off my phone for OfferUp and FB Marketplace so I can’t be tempted until everything I already have is ready to play.

No Rush? Excuse me??

#25 2 years ago

I don’t have any of their albums and couldn’t remember any of their songs besides Tom Sawyer, but I’m good with them. Could swear I’ve been to a concert of theirs back in the day.

#26 2 years ago

Speaking of classic rock, I couldn’t say where she’s coming from, but I just met a lady named Dinah Moe Hum.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Speaking of classic rock, I couldn’t say where she’s coming from, but I just met a lady named Dinah Moe Hum.

Where's this Dinah Moe comin' from?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

No Rush? Excuse me??

Go on YouTube and search "One Man Rush". This guy is amazing!
He does Genesis and Yes too.

#29 2 years ago

Guess I’m out of touch. What is the Rush connection with pinball?

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Guess I’m out of touch. What is the Rush connection with pinball?

cdnpinbacon is a wildcard.
You never know where he'll take a thread!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-identifying-broken-relays-in-a-bally-old-chicago?hl=jadedhesher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.