Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220219_170501 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Im in the middle of pop bumper rebuild on a Williams scorpion (system 6). One of the pop bumpers has a different looking diode than the other two, looks almost like a glass resistor. The diode in question is on the right in the picture. Should I replace what's there with something like a 1n4007 or leave it be? All three pop bumpers worked prior to the rebuild, so I don't want to risk messing anything up, just thought it was weird and wanted to ask you more experienced people here what you think...

20220219_170501 (resized).jpg20220219_170501 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Looks different. Still works.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

A 1N4004 is fine in this application. That diode is probably fine but it is confusing

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

A 1N4004 (or 4001) is fine in this application.

1N4004 or 1N4007.

1N4001 is too low a voltage, it's for switches and lamps.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

1N4004 or 1N4007.
    1N4001 is too low a voltage, it's for switches and lamps.

Edited. Thanks!

#6 2 years ago

Ok I'll swap it for a 1n4004 if I change it. Does this look like a diode or is it something else. AND IF it isn't a diode then what is it and what's the purpose of putting it on the coil vs the correct diode. Are there old diodes that look like this or is it some sort of old operator repair grabbing whatever they had available?
    (the other two coils have normal looking diodes btw).

#7 2 years ago

The clue that it's a diode is the black band on one side. If you remove it, you can test it with a meter and it will likely test similar to the 1N4004 you'll replace it with. Clue is the band, meter will tell you for sure. Probably just an old timey diode. The wider leads where they connect isn't common these days. They don't decay much, so no telling how old it is.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Does this look like a diode

It is a diode.

Not necessarily old, just different package.

Change it if you want or don't change it.

#9 2 years ago

Alright thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that it was safe to leave on. I guess as long as it works, then why mess with it.

#10 2 years ago

It’s an old style 1n4004.

#11 2 years ago

It also looks like a 1N4148 - I have over a 100 of them in a bag.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

It also looks like a 1N4148

The glass 1N4004 are larger diameter (about the same as a plastic 1N4004) compared to a 1N4148.

#13 2 years ago

Quench

You’re probably right. Size is kind of hard to tell on a phone. The 4148s are smaller than 4001s.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Size is kind of hard to tell on a phone. The 4148s are smaller than 4001s.

For sure.
    It's annoying how some low wattage zener diodes look exactly like 1N4148 now. Even some sources of 1N270 germanium diodes (used on Gottlieb switch matrix) changed package type to look like 1N4148.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-identify-this-weird-looking-diode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.