(Topic ID: 178246)

Help ID this mystery whitewood playfield

By toddsvec

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mystery Playfield (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I know very little about it, picked up at a show (TPF or Denver) in 2008 or earlier, purchased by me today. A few clues. It appears to have spots for 5 pop bumpers. It appears to be cut out for housing a dollar bill validator. It is stamped on the end:
    BURKEL INC. (920) 846-8453
    Oconto Falls WI, 54154
    and something underneath impossible to read as it's mostly not there

Burkel apparently made some playfields including Monster Bash. I can't line anything up, who's going to solve this?

Mystery Playfield (resized).jpgMystery Playfield (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I like these types of threads. Unfortunately, I'm unable to identify this one, and curious what it ends up being from.

#3 7 years ago

Five pop bumpers doesn't seem like it goes along with the style/age of game the inserts suggest. Interesting

#4 7 years ago

I don't instantly recognize it.

There's also the possibility that it was an unproduced layout.

#5 7 years ago

I'm guessing unproduced too, at least in that configuration. Honestly, if it was a modern game with five pops like that taking up all the real estate in the center of the playfield and only two major shots as identified by the inserts, it would probably shoot pretty poorly.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

and something underneath impossible to read as it's mostly not there

Can you post a photo of that?

#7 7 years ago

What shots are the two yellow inserts in the middle? Scoop and captive ball?

The shoot again lights between the flippers are interesting. They remind me of Metallica's but I can't think of another game with those.

I wanted to say Cactus Canyon at first glance but I know that's not it.

#8 7 years ago

Judging by the way the bottom of the playfield is cut, I'd say it was a Stern.

#9 7 years ago

Those giant square inserts make me want to think that it's a 90s/00's sega/stern playfield.

#10 7 years ago

The playfield is from the Sega Pinball era. We redesigned our flippers and pop bumper assemblies to rival Williams, at the time. I also noticed the slingshot cutouts are for Data East 1-piece design (http://www.thepinballwizard.net/images/products/slng-0005.jpg) with square openings for the leaf switches. In addition, the large rectangular cutout in the ball trough area is Data East/Sega Pinball (http://www.enteryourinitials.com/images/xfiles/xfiles_balltrough_start.jpg). My guess is Tim Seckel or John Borg designed this prototype playfield.

Good luck in your quest and congrats on your rare find.

The BIG Hurt

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I'm guessing unproduced too, at least in that configuration. Honestly, if it was a modern game with five pops like that taking up all the real estate in the center of the playfield and only two major shots as identified by the inserts, it would probably shoot pretty poorly.

I count seven shots? Not sure where they all go, but

Quoted from hurtado-design:

The playfield is from the Sega Pinball era. We redesigned our flippers and pop bumper assemblies to rival Williams, at the time. I also noticed the slingshot cutouts are for Data East 1-piece design (http://www.thepinballwizard.net/images/products/slng-0005.jpg) with square openings for the leaf switches. In addition, the large rectangular cutout in the ball trough area is Data East/Sega Pinball (http://www.enteryourinitials.com/images/xfiles/xfiles_balltrough_start.jpg). My guess is Tim Seckel or John Borg designed this prototype playfield.
    Good luck in your quest and congrats on your rare find.
    The BIG Hurt

are those different from what earlier Stern used? I'm not a newer stern expert but my PotC has one piece slingshots and a nearly identical ball trough area

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I'd say there's four major shots, 2 orbits, 2 ramps. Plus the scoop targets to the left and right. The layout may look deceptively simple but I bet it shoots well

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I count seven shots? Not sure where they all go, but

are those different from what earlier Stern used? I'm not a newer stern expert but my PotC has one piece slingshots and a nearly identical ball trough area

I believe the early Stern designs are the same. I do know having a scoop in front of pop bumpers is one of John Borg's signature design elements. If anyone can identify this playfield it would be John Borg.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Can you post a photo of that?

Will tomorrow

#15 7 years ago

Are those five sided cuts in front of the outer square inserts blue arrow inserts, or slots?

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'd say there's four major shots, 2 orbits, 2 ramps. Plus the scoop targets to the left and right. The layout may look deceptively simple but I bet it shoots well

Everything is pretty jammed up by the flippers other than the orbits though.

A lot of people knock NBAFB for having too many shots close to the flippers so that everything bricks back too quickly. While I really enjoy NBAFB (enough to have two), I do understand that criticism of it.

The layout for those five pops is large enough to take up nearly as much space as the shooting mech for NBAFB, thus my comment. Additionally, it looks like there is only one or two spots for the ball to come out, so you're waiting for the ball to bounce around a lot to ultimately slowly dribble out one place or another. I'd argue that this would be less interesting than the NBAFB mech. Addams Family, one of the few other "modern" games that I can think of with so many pops in one configuration, stacks them vertically to keep them more limited, and allows for two exits where one leads to more or less a toy. Additionally, I don't know that much of anyone cares there are 5 pops on TAF there, the game plays almost like it was three.

Also, if you look carefully at the right orbit, the path of it looks like it takes the ball to a saucer or something uncut, and not a straight orbit shot. The way the cut outs are, I'm guessing neither would have been an orbit, and the left side would have fed the pops.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of dead ends and holding the ball, without many places that would have interactive toys. Having said that, maybe there was some sort of amazing toy that we don't see. If it's a Borg design, I automatically think it probably kicks butt - I've been a huge fan of his since long before Iron Man.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Also, if you look carefully at the right orbit, the path of it looks like it takes the ball to a saucer or something uncut,

Well I thought the right orbit doubled as the plunger lane and both orbits led to the upper lanes. It also looks like an up post is on the right of those lanes to block the orbit at some point similar to SST.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of dead ends and holding the ball, without many places that would have interactive toys. Having said that, maybe there was some sort of amazing toy that we don't see

It's possible the ramps led to an upper playfield or maybe a ramp flipper to make some sort of loop shots. That's what I keep thinking at least. But I get what your saying about no real need for five bumpers.

#19 7 years ago

Bump...I'm interested to see if anyone is able to identify this.

#20 7 years ago

Me too. I hope OP tries contacting Borg.

1 week later
    #21 7 years ago

Just checking back, only to find the identity of the whitewood is still up in the air here it seems.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-id-this-mystery-whitewood-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.