(Topic ID: 13041)

HELP! I need some help with Scared Stiff diognostics...

By spfxted

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by spfxted
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Well, it looks like I'll be picking up a Scared Stiff tomorrow. As you know...I know NOTHING about pinball machines except how to play them. Can someone (who possibly has a SS) tell me how to push the buttons and find out if everything on the machine is working properly. (make believe you're explaining it to a 12 year old) Also, anything else you can think of to check out would be a big help! Thanks!!
(I may have to get PDI Glass for this one!)

#2 12 years ago

Turn the machine off then on. If it beeps that there's an error code, you have *some* issue. Honestly, if you have no knowledge of this it's probably better that you take someone that does have knowledge of this with you. There is a lot more to buying pinball machines than error codes. The playfield may be warped, have water damage, boards may have damage but all appear to work, etc. I'd definitely take someone that knows whats going on with you, and I would never allow my 12 yr old to buy a pinball on his own

#3 12 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, I wish I had time to set it up. My pinball guy is not available. I wanted to pick it up early tomorrow because my buddy is "on the fence" about selling it.

#4 12 years ago

As a previous SS owner, here are a few things to watch for.

Cab is very prone to fade.

Check for wear in front of crate, spider hole, crate kick out. Check for burn on left ramp (bony beast) from flasher underneath it. Make sure spider wheel spins. Check the bony beast ramp on the right side for cracks/breaks from the VUK. Sling plastics will likely have small cracks. Bony flippers. Play the heck out of it before purchase.

To run the self test, turn machine on. Open coin door. Hit far right button, this will report any errors.

Hard to say what to do after that, because it all depends on what errors pop up (switches, etc.)

I think you can download the manual online (pdf) and have a look at it.

Best bet is to take someone with more knowledge with you.

Good luck! Great pin. I will own it again once the kids are older.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks smokedog! I will check all of those things! I played 4 games on it last week when I was there. Everything seemed to work fine. The Spider Spinner worked great. I'll check all the plastics for cracks. The machine must be pretty good because when he bought it 4-5 years ago, he took someone to check it out and paid top dollar (at the time). Are there any mods I should?

#6 12 years ago

That's mods I should look for....

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7 12 years ago

Have one - good game

1) Metal brace to prevent bony beast ramp on the right side from cracks/breaks from the VUK
2) DeadHeads skulls - LED lights in skulls, Candle lights
3) Eyeball shooter
4) Boogieman on slings
5) Glow in the dark Bony beast - bones

Take some pics when you can

#8 12 years ago

So far I think it has #2,4 and 5. Not sure about LED's...No Eyeball Shooter...but that's the first thing I'll get! (the custom one with the cool eyeball and blood)

#9 12 years ago

Turn the machine off. Turn it on. Look for a dot after the # of credits, or Free Play.

If it shows a period after the # of credits or free play, it means there is an error logged in the machine. Could be minor, could be major.

Open the coin door. Press the button marked enter. It will display any errors the machine has. The errors could be something minor, like 'time and date not set', which means the clock needs to be set in the machine. It could be a switch error, which is not uncommon and often, but not always, is easily fixed.

Download the manual here:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3915/Bally_1996_Scared_Stiff_Manual.pdf

Read through the section titled 'Test Menu', and perform the tests.

Let your senses be your guide as well. Is the game fun to play? Is it clean, dirty, or in between?

#10 12 years ago

Open coin door, see four buttons labeled begin test, service credits, and + and -.

Push begin test once, any errors the machine tracks show up then. Push again to enter area where adjustments, utilities, tests are.

Stop on tests. Hit the + button to go through switches, coils, flashers, etc. Stop on one you want and hit begin tests. For coils and flashers - enable the high power interlock on coin door.

To escape anything hit service credits.

Check the Internet Pinball Database for manual to help you, pictures of diagnostic switches to familiarize yourself.

Since you are new to this, I would run coil tests - cycle through them, same with flashers, and all lamps test - it flashes them on and off.

I wouldn't get too fancy since you don't know what you are doing. Just some basics to make you happy.

If you think you really mucked things up, turn the game off and then back on to get to attract mode.

LTG

#11 12 years ago

Don't forget to look in the backbox to see if the batteries are good and that there's no evidence of previous battery leakage. Always replace the batteries (about once a year), while the game is turned on.

#12 12 years ago

You guys are GREAT!...as usual! I'm printing all this out and bringing it with me! Thanks again!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 39.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 37.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 249.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-i-need-some-help-with-scared-stiff-diognostics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.