Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by qbass187
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider qbass187.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,
I screwed up and I was hoping someone could help me out.
Yesterday I pulled the WPC-89 driver board out of my Doctor Who to try to troubleshoot the issues I'm having in my BoP rebuild. So after I realized the 2 weren't compatible I decided since it was out I'd touch up the solder on the back of said WPC-89 board; which I did.
I reflowed all the solder on all the connector pins and the fuse holders and the heat sinks and I reinstalled it.

Well here's what happened when I turned it on:
The coils were all firing at once, and the DMD said "CHECK FUSES F114 & F115". I also cannot start a game.

I did and neither were blown...
Now I'm at a loss. I rechecked all the soldering I did and there doesn't appear to be any solder points touching but before I go any further I was hoping someone could point me in a clearer direction.
BTW, I installed a Rottendog Driver board just to make sure the issue was with the driver board I reflowed and the game worked perfectly with the RD board... So the problem IS contained within the WPC89 driver board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ERIC

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Let's see. You worked on it, it got worse, you tried a good board and it worked.
I have it.
YOU DID IT.
Crap happens, you'll get through it. You now get to learn how to check continuity of traces across and through the board both sides, how to do good solder joints and clean up any that are poor, or shorted.
And you learned not to shot gun repairs and do too much and cause more damage than good.
Sorry there isn't an easy answer for you.
LTG : )

I realize ALL this.

I was hoping someone had a good starting point.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Starting point is to go over all your work and look for the short or solder splash...
I had that error before and I had to replace U20 on the CPU..

Yeah, I've actually already done that. I've gone over every single thing I soldered and can't find any shorts.

There may have been one on the pins that connect the Driver board with the CPU board but I cleaned that up first thing and the problem still persists on THIS board.
The only other places a solder bridge might have formed is under the connector where I can't actually see. That seems unlikely to me though.

I'm not posting because it just happened. I've been trouble shooting this since yesterday; I'm posting because I've already run through what I thought were the obvious things to try.

I'm wondering since the game gave me the "CHECK FUSES F114 & F115" if that would indicate anything specific was blown on the Driver board. Since, it would appear to me at least, that the game is being told those 2 fuses are bad when they are not.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not blown, but an open circuit. What ever F114 and F115 protect ( look up voltage on fuse chart in game or manual) is now missing, hence that error.
And not visually. You need to use a meter and check things. You may have lost through or across board continuity.
LTG

Ok, great, thank you. That's really good advice, I appreciate that.

I forgot to mention that I don't appear to be getting anything from the 12V test point. It's actually coming up on my DMM as .92v.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Start by tracing that back and figure out why you arent getting the 12v.

So would it be safe to assume I can narrow down the issue to circuits that involve the F114 & F115 fuses? Or no?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm more concerned about him soldering around the power connector.
Can you hit a trace near where it comes into the board and get 12v? I'm wondering if the connector isn't the problem now.

I replaced the connector pins on the board to be sure and I still get the same issue.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Are you sure you're measuring DC and not AC?

No.

But the other voltages came up like they should.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

Is it all the coils? or a select few coils? Is the game booting, did you check the fuses with your DMM?

No not every coil.
The ones in the time expander, the ball plunger coil and both coils used to load the balls into the trough & then the shooter lane.

Yes, game boots fine. But won't play.

#26 10 years ago

Ok, I didn't have much time at all to work on this yesterday but with what time I did have I reinstalled the board into the game and verified there was no 12V at TP3 and no LED indicator either. It would appear that the transistor at Q2 is testing good.

#27 10 years ago

Ok so I had a chance to work on it a little this morning.
I tested the continuity between the 2nd leg of Q2 to pin 1 of J114. D1 & D2 seem to check out ok too. While going over the pinwiki info it seems that even if the continuity checks out the LM7812 can still be bad so I'm going to replace that since shockingly they are actually available at my local Radio Shack!

I'll update this with what happens.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Just a heads up, when I first got my Doctor Who, after I got it booting and the DMD working, this was the first error I got. Bridge rectifier was blown (Pretty sure it was BR2..would have to look at schematics, don't have time right this second, sorry..) and the trace from the header pins to it was BLOWN UP...charred, broken, and lifted off the board! Replaced the BR and simple jumper past the screwed up part of the trace on the backside of the board from pin to BR leg fixed it.
Keep in mind that when voltage is coming INTO a bridge rectifier, it's AC, not DC. So if you're metering it with DC, you will likely get a 0 or a very low reading..

Thanks for that tip.
I've checked all the traces from the BRs and there's no issues that I can find.

Hopefully replacing the Q2 will fix the issue... we'll see.

#33 10 years ago

Replaced Q2 and still no change.
Going to have to keep digging.

#34 10 years ago

Ok, figured it out! It was a bad diode at D1! I thought I had already checked D1 but i actually checked D3... D1 is nicely hidden behind one of the caps.

The only issue that remains is now I am getting a switch error on the trap door. And it won't register in the Switch Test either.

#35 10 years ago

Figured out the error.
Thanks for all the help guys
I really appreciate it!!!

ERIC

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Congrats on getting it back up and running!
This is one of the highs I constantly chase. There is almost nothing like the satisfaction of fixing something.

Definitely!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
£ 110.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider qbass187.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-i-messed-up-my-doctor-who?tu=qbass187 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.