(Topic ID: 259086)

Help! I did something stupid to my expensive JJP's PoTC Invisiglass

By Kerry_Richard

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Clay-bar (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kerry_richard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello Pinsiders...

I was spray painting in the driveway, just outside my garage door. The garage door was slightly open and allowed the light spray dust/gas to settle on the invisiglass of my JJP PoTC inside.

I only use Sparkle to clean that glass. It won't touch removing this over spray. I've used lacquer thinner on regular glass, and it cleans off everything.

I'm very concerned with damaging the surface.

Any help? Recommendations?

Thank You.
    Kerry

#12 4 years ago

It's my understanding Invisiglass has a chemical coating. This is why JJP doesn't recommend anything but Sparkle to clean it. Not Windex or other cleaners.

My concern with a metal edge (razor or putty knife), is the possibility of scratching or marring this finish.

I'll wait to hear from other Pinsiders, then reach out to JJP for recommendations.

Thanks for all who have responded.

Kerry

#16 4 years ago

I just got off the phone with Technical support at JJP. They said nothing will remove it and anything I use will damage the coating that makes it Invisible. That coating is on top of glass. This is going to be an expensive mistake

#31 4 years ago

Thanks for all who have posted... Here's an update:

In post #16 I spoke with Technical support. He said no way to clean it, without damaging it.

Before I made that call; I sent an email into tech support. They just responded to me with this:

"From what you describe (this is what I described in first email response), if you can read the logo and the made in USA sticker is on the same side as the over spray - the side with the sticker pasted to it is the non-coated side definitely, so if that’s the side you are cleaning, then you’re safe using pretty much any glass cleaner. Just don’t get anything harsh on the other side and you should be fine.
    Thanks Steve"

BTW: the entire glass is affected with the light mist over spray. It actually is a 2-part automotive clear I sprayed, not any type of water base material.

The good news is it's "Clear", the bad new is I know it's there and can feel it. I'm going to experiment with a couple different cleaners. The bummer is, I can't do it in an inconspicuous place, as the entire glass is affected (except edges).

#34 4 years ago

BTW: This is/was the first email sent to me. I went out to confirm I could read the "Invisiglass" logo which I could (not reversed)
    I think I'll experiment with clay bar. He (Steve at JJP) did suggest Windex with Vinegar (link below).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Kerry - It very much depends which side of the glass the overspray is on - if the glass is normally installed in the machine, the coated side that you have to worry about is underneath. When installed on the machine, if you look at the logo /word "invisiglass" and it is readable (facing up), then the clear non-coated side is up and on the non-coated side you can use pretty much any glass cleaner without worrying. On the coated side, you want to use something like VINEGAR Windex or something like that

https://www.amazon.com/Windex-Vinegar-Glass-Cleaner-Ounces/dp/B073DBQSYJ/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_rm

Thanks

Stephen Zamonski
    Customer Service Representative
    (732) 364-9900 ext. 1217

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

IMPORTANT! If you decide to use single-edge razor blades place a 1/16- 1/8 piece of cellophane tape on each side of the blade and scrape with the middle part "Gliding" on the tape, this prevents the edges from scratching the glass.

Never heard this... good info to know.

Thanks!

#45 4 years ago

I'm going to work on this tomorrow... I'll report back then

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is there a difference in appearance in "invisibility" between coated side up, vs down?

I don't know the answer to this... however, I would think not tho.

#49 4 years ago

OK... it's done:

I placed the glass on pad, on the kitchen table.

I lightly sprayed mist of Purple Power Cleaner, over the glass.

I placed approx 1/8" clear tape on 2 edges of a brand new, single sided razor blade.

I did approx 10" swath at a time across the narrow side of glass. I could hear the texture of the clear coating, as I passed across the glass, until I couldn't. It's SMOOTH!!!

It looks crystal clear, however, there are some very fine line scratches in the glass. I used 1 new blade for whole job. I'm thinking the taped edges, probably wore thru. I'm actually very surprised I have these fine scratches, as I've used razor blades on other glass before.

Overall, I'm much happier with the clear coated over spray off, however, the slight scratching is troubling.

I'd probably try a lacquer thinner on microfiber cloth or car clay, if I ever come across this issue again.

I pass my experience on to you... Live and Learn

#56 4 years ago

Phil-lee... Thank you for posting. I'm a big guy and I thought your idea was a good one.

I own many games and have owned well over 200, in the past 28 years, since our first purchase Funhouse in 92'. Ive done some great things to my games and some not-so-great. Live and Learn. That's why I shared this.

I'm always learning something new. As I mentioned: I lucubrated the glass with a fine mist of Purple Power cleaner. I carefully did a ~10" pass x width of glass, then cleaned it. It was perfect. I did the 2nd pass ~10" and did the same, no scratches. I decided to do the balance of the glass and the further I went, the more scratches were done. I didn't notice this until I cleaned the entire glass.

In hindsight, I should have not been so satisfied / confident and checked each pass. Plus, I probably should have used 3-4 new blades, not just one.

"If" I were to do it over... I would have taped off the ~1/2" clean glass (under lockbar, side channels & back channel) and simply wiped it with Lacquer Thinner in small sections, till done. By tapping it off, it wouldn't allow the lacquer thinner to slightly wrap under glass, onto the treated Invisiglass edge/side.

Hopefully my experience has helped others who find themselves in a situation.

Thanks for all who chimed in.

Kerry

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kerry_richard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-i-did-something-stupid-to-my-expensive-jjp-s-potc-invisiglass-?tu=kerry_richard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.