(Topic ID: 259086)

Help! I did something stupid to my expensive JJP's PoTC Invisiglass

By Kerry_Richard

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Clay-bar (resized).jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I would have left off the tape on the razor blade, once you put the tape on the two edges of the razor blade you no longer had a truly flat surface running over the glass.

Agree because the edges are elevated and the blade is not flat, you will to have exert more downward pressure to reach the surface with the center part of the blade and it will be forced to flex or bow.

#52 4 years ago

Note to self. Don't take pinball advise from phil-lee

#53 4 years ago

I have used this technique for over 20 years on a variety of surfaces including glass, ceramic, french polished wood and metal with no ill results. It is a well-known technique among repair/restoration Technicians to give a measure of control and prevent inadvertent scratches from the blade if not held at a low enough angle.
    The old way was to round off the edges with a file and some still prefer this method. I would have used several shielded blades on this large project.
    When giving advice assumptions must be made as to the skill level of the User, I do not believe this method caused the scratches even if the tape was torn. I will hesitate giving advice the next time and sorry for your issues with the glass.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

is there anything in any of Vid's 'how to' posts regarding this?

Like he is going to read through all of those?

I use razer blades all the time for paint and varnish on windows. clay and steel wool are abrasive, better to slice the paint of.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

When giving advice assumptions must be made as to the skill level of the User, I do not believe this method caused the scratches even if the tape was torn. I will hesitate giving advice the next time and sorry for your issues with the glass.

I don't think the information you gave was bad, I know a lot more people who that same trick and they swear by it. More than one way to get things done and all involve practice.

#56 4 years ago

Phil-lee... Thank you for posting. I'm a big guy and I thought your idea was a good one.

I own many games and have owned well over 200, in the past 28 years, since our first purchase Funhouse in 92'. Ive done some great things to my games and some not-so-great. Live and Learn. That's why I shared this.

I'm always learning something new. As I mentioned: I lucubrated the glass with a fine mist of Purple Power cleaner. I carefully did a ~10" pass x width of glass, then cleaned it. It was perfect. I did the 2nd pass ~10" and did the same, no scratches. I decided to do the balance of the glass and the further I went, the more scratches were done. I didn't notice this until I cleaned the entire glass.

In hindsight, I should have not been so satisfied / confident and checked each pass. Plus, I probably should have used 3-4 new blades, not just one.

"If" I were to do it over... I would have taped off the ~1/2" clean glass (under lockbar, side channels & back channel) and simply wiped it with Lacquer Thinner in small sections, till done. By tapping it off, it wouldn't allow the lacquer thinner to slightly wrap under glass, onto the treated Invisiglass edge/side.

Hopefully my experience has helped others who find themselves in a situation.

Thanks for all who chimed in.

Kerry

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-i-did-something-stupid-to-my-expensive-jjp-s-potc-invisiglass-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.