New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 259086)

Help! I did something stupid to my expensive JJP's PoTC Invisiglass

By Kerry_Richard

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Kerry_Richard
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Clay-bar (resized).jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 months ago

Hello Pinsiders...

I was spray painting in the driveway, just outside my garage door. The garage door was slightly open and allowed the light spray dust/gas to settle on the invisiglass of my JJP PoTC inside.

I only use Sparkle to clean that glass. It won't touch removing this over spray. I've used lacquer thinner on regular glass, and it cleans off everything.

I'm very concerned with damaging the surface.

Any help? Recommendations?

Thank You.
    Kerry

#2 8 months ago

I'd call JJP to get there advice. My first thought was 91% alcohol but am assuming it may damage the coating like ammonia would.

#3 8 months ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

My first thought was 91% alcohol

Alcohol generally will only work on latex based paints, enamels, epoxies etc. will not break down using it. I used to use alcohol to identify which type of paint was used on swimming pools whenever the owner did not know.

#4 8 months ago

Maybe a plastic razor blade?

#5 8 months ago

Use a brand new razor blade, single edge. Work in one direction . Eazy peazy

#6 8 months ago

Auto detailer and a clay bar will remove overspray from a car finish.

#7 8 months ago
    Quoted from Ozzy:

Use a brand new razor blade, single edge. Work in one direction . Eazy peazy

100%. I use this method all the time on fish tank glass. Try it on one of the windows in your house if you are paranoid.

#8 8 months ago

1 inch plastic drywall mud knife might do the trick.

#10 8 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

100%. I use this method all the time on fish tank glass. Try it on one of the windows in your house if you are paranoid.

Does that glass have a special/expensive coating to make it look invisible? I think we all know it works on regular glass, but would be scared af to use that on invisiglass without getting an answer from JJP

#11 8 months ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Hello Pinsiders...
    I was spray painting in the driveway, just outside my garage door. The garage door was slightly open and allowed the light spray dust/gas to settle on the invisiglass of my JJP PoTC inside.
    I only use Sparkle to clean that glass. It won't touch removing this over spray. I've used lacquer thinner on regular glass, and it cleans off everything.
    I'm very concerned with damaging the surface.
    Any help? Recommendations?
    Thank You.
    Kerry

Honestly this is new territory for everyone so proceed with caution. My suggestion is goo gone as it's citrus based. Test on a small spot - immediately clean off after with soapy water.
    Anyway, god forbid you screw up the glass but I have a still in the box brand new sheet of invisiglass I'd be willing to ship to you. I'm in Oregon would save you a few bucks

#12 8 months ago

It's my understanding Invisiglass has a chemical coating. This is why JJP doesn't recommend anything but Sparkle to clean it. Not Windex or other cleaners.

My concern with a metal edge (razor or putty knife), is the possibility of scratching or marring this finish.

I'll wait to hear from other Pinsiders, then reach out to JJP for recommendations.

Thanks for all who have responded.

Kerry

#13 8 months ago

New Razor blade, mist area with water as you go, most don’t use water when razor blading glass but your supposed to.

#14 8 months ago

If you look at the coating that I've seen on both JJP & Stern Invisiglass it looks exactly like the coating used to make optical lenses anti-reflective, which makes sense since it offers similar benefits. Any glass cleaner that isn't abrasive, ammonia, or petroleum based should work fine on it. I'd use a combo of the Sparkle with either a plastic razor blade or an automotive clay bar if it were my glass.

#15 8 months ago

Plastic razor blade FTW

#16 8 months ago

I just got off the phone with Technical support at JJP. They said nothing will remove it and anything I use will damage the coating that makes it Invisible. That coating is on top of glass. This is going to be an expensive mistake

#17 8 months ago

how bad is it ? can you post a picture ?

#18 8 months ago

I just got off the phone with Technical support at JJP. They said nothing will remove it and anything I use will damage the coating that makes it Invisible. That coating is on top of glass. This is going to be an expensive mistake

At this point you are really in a no win situation, I'd start the least aggressive with the Sparkle and plastic blade, then Sparkle and Clay Bar....

#19 8 months ago

Is it everywhere or only on certain parts... Is it on the sides/backglass?

#20 8 months ago

If both side of the glass have the coating which should be the case and you damage the coating removing your overspray, flip the glass over and you should be good to go.

#21 8 months ago

clay bar with water. They work very well for removing overspray on vehicles. im confident it will not harm the glass coating
    Clay-bar (resized).jpg

#22 8 months ago

Maybe JJP has a scratched piece in their factory that they can't sell, that they can spray paint, and practice a fix on and get back to you...

Did they say the coating is on both sides of the glass?

-mof

#23 8 months ago

What kind of paint is it? That's the first question you need to answer. If latex, just hit it with water asap; if oil, well, you're probably going to strip the anti-reflective coating off along with the paint if you use a paint thinner. Depending on how much is on there, and in what manner, you might just let it dry, and then you might be able to pop off droplets with a plastic scraper. Worst case, get some paint thinner and just strip the glass bare, and recoat it with new anti-reflective coating, or run it reflective like most other pinball machines out there.

FWIW, if the paint overspray is FRESH, you might be able to just pour paint thinner over the glass, and *wash* away the overspray before it sets, doing minimal damage to the coating.

#24 8 months ago

bullshit. They have their heads up their ass and don't know what to do. So they just say nothing, so that they don't give you advice that may damage it. Try the plastic razor blade on a corner and see if that works first.

#25 8 months ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Try... a corner

Good point, there are going to be areas of the glass that are *always covered*, you can go to a machine WITHOUT invisiglass, and use a sharpie to make a few marks to test how much room you have to work with, then install that one on your JJP to ensure the MARKS are in the right place, and get your confidence up on how much room you have to work with. Then you can test whether both pieces of glass are the same length. If they are, then you can make similar marks on your invisiglass, and work beyond them safely... start testing things out and let us know your secret fixes...

-mof

#26 8 months ago

I think plastic razor blade would be safest approach. Wouldn't use any type of chemical on it w abrasive qualities. Doubt the optical coating is very thick, so may or may not work. Guess at this point, it doesn't hurt to try......

#27 8 months ago

I don’t think plastic razor blades are your answer, you need something with a super sharp edge, brand new metal razor blade and mist with water as you go. If it were my piece of glass I’d be done already.

#28 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I don’t think plastic razor blades are your answer, you need something with a super sharp edge, brand new metal razor blade and mist with water as you go. If it were my piece of glass I’d be done already.

While I agree...a brave man you are....invisiglass scratches super easy...may nerves of steel be w you (and if overspray has adhered chemically to the coating, it's done anyway....)

#29 8 months ago

I think with how he described the incident and the distance the pin was from his spraying that most of the spray may have already dried a bit before landing on the glass. I doubt any chemical adhesion has taken place.

#30 8 months ago

well, then you've got nothing to lose by trying to scrape it w a brand new razor. worst case, you wind up with a sheet of regular glass. i'd bet it works fine, and doesn't affect the coating.

#31 8 months ago

Thanks for all who have posted... Here's an update:

In post #16 I spoke with Technical support. He said no way to clean it, without damaging it.

Before I made that call; I sent an email into tech support. They just responded to me with this:

"From what you describe (this is what I described in first email response), if you can read the logo and the made in USA sticker is on the same side as the over spray - the side with the sticker pasted to it is the non-coated side definitely, so if that’s the side you are cleaning, then you’re safe using pretty much any glass cleaner. Just don’t get anything harsh on the other side and you should be fine.
    Thanks Steve"

BTW: the entire glass is affected with the light mist over spray. It actually is a 2-part automotive clear I sprayed, not any type of water base material.

The good news is it's "Clear", the bad new is I know it's there and can feel it. I'm going to experiment with a couple different cleaners. The bummer is, I can't do it in an inconspicuous place, as the entire glass is affected (except edges).

#32 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I think with how he described the incident and the distance the pin was from his spraying that most of the spray may have already dried a bit before landing on the glass. I doubt any chemical adhesion has taken place.

Exactly, and for this the high end car detailing industry uses a clay bar & detailing spray to remove that overspray on cars that cost 10x as much any pin.

#33 8 months ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Exactly, and for this the high end car detailing industry uses a clay bar & detailing spray to remove that overspray on cars that cost 10x as much any pin.

Clay bars are good too (especially because the surface of cars are rarely flat), though I think a razor on flat glass with mist of water would suffice here.

#34 8 months ago

BTW: This is/was the first email sent to me. I went out to confirm I could read the "Invisiglass" logo which I could (not reversed)
    I think I'll experiment with clay bar. He (Steve at JJP) did suggest Windex with Vinegar (link below).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Kerry - It very much depends which side of the glass the overspray is on - if the glass is normally installed in the machine, the coated side that you have to worry about is underneath. When installed on the machine, if you look at the logo /word "invisiglass" and it is readable (facing up), then the clear non-coated side is up and on the non-coated side you can use pretty much any glass cleaner without worrying. On the coated side, you want to use something like VINEGAR Windex or something like that

amazon.com link »

Thanks

Stephen Zamonski
    Customer Service Representative
    (732) 364-9900 ext. 1217

#35 8 months ago

BTW: This is/was the first email sent to me. I went out to confirm I could read the "Invisiglass" logo which I could (not reversed)
    I think I'll experiment with clay bar. He (Steve at JJP) did suggest Windex with Vinegar (link below).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hi Kerry - It very much depends which side of the glass the overspray is on - if the glass is normally installed in the machine, the coated side that you have to worry about is underneath. When installed on the machine, if you look at the logo /word "invisiglass" and it is readable (facing up), then the clear non-coated side is up and on the non-coated side you can use pretty much any glass cleaner without worrying. On the coated side, you want to use something like VINEGAR Windex or something like that
    amazon.com link »
    Thanks
    Stephen Zamonski
    Customer Service Representative
    (732) 364-9900 ext. 1217

I’d say you’re good to go with the razor blade then. They are cheap so I’d probably use at least 10 or more to keep them fresh and sharp. Short strokes in one direction and you’ll be playing again in no time

#36 8 months ago

which side of the glass

then we are home free. congrats !
    -mof

#37 8 months ago

EDIT nevermind I just read the JJP response

#38 8 months ago

Whenever we would get overspray on glass or chrome from painting cars, we used steel wool to remove it. Works great, but I wouldn't chance it on the coated side.

#39 8 months ago

IMPORTANT! If you decide to use single-edge razor blades place a 1/16- 1/8 piece of cellophane tape on each side of the blade and scrape with the middle part "Gliding" on the tape, this prevents the edges from scratching the glass.

#40 8 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

IMPORTANT! If you decide to use single-edge razor blades place a 1/16- 1/8 piece of cellophane tape on each side of the blade and scrape with the middle part "Gliding" on the tape, this prevents the edges from scratching the glass.

Never heard this... good info to know.

Thanks!

#41 8 months ago

0000 steel wool is what I use to clean car glass. Works great but I don't know about invisiglass

#42 8 months ago

sounds like you have overspray on just normal side of the glass. So basically anything goes. Razor blade is fine, as you don't have ot worry about scratching the glass. I've taken 100's of stickers off of playfield glass and never scratched a one..

#43 8 months ago

is there anything in any of Vid's 'how to' posts regarding this?

#44 8 months ago

I use razor blades all the time when cleaning glass and never had any issues with scratches. I prefer to use it along with with a liquid like water, windex, sparkle, goo gone, etc. I would only be concerned if the side you had to clean was the coated side which it appears is not the case. Just make sure to use a fresh razor blade since that helps.

#45 8 months ago

I'm going to work on this tomorrow... I'll report back then

#46 8 months ago

Is there a difference in appearance in "invisibility" between coated side up, vs down?

#47 8 months ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is there a difference in appearance in "invisibility" between coated side up, vs down?

I don't know the answer to this... however, I would think not tho.

#48 8 months ago

If it is as bad as you describe, I wonder if the game itself got clear overspray on it. Good luck on getting it sorted out.

#49 8 months ago

OK... it's done:

I placed the glass on pad, on the kitchen table.

I lightly sprayed mist of Purple Power Cleaner, over the glass.

I placed approx 1/8" clear tape on 2 edges of a brand new, single sided razor blade.

I did approx 10" swath at a time across the narrow side of glass. I could hear the texture of the clear coating, as I passed across the glass, until I couldn't. It's SMOOTH!!!

It looks crystal clear, however, there are some very fine line scratches in the glass. I used 1 new blade for whole job. I'm thinking the taped edges, probably wore thru. I'm actually very surprised I have these fine scratches, as I've used razor blades on other glass before.

Overall, I'm much happier with the clear coated over spray off, however, the slight scratching is troubling.

I'd probably try a lacquer thinner on microfiber cloth or car clay, if I ever come across this issue again.

I pass my experience on to you... Live and Learn

#50 8 months ago

I would have left off the tape on the razor blade, once you put the tape on the two edges of the razor blade you no longer had a truly flat surface running over the glass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 209.00
    $ 8.95
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 11.95
    $ 12.75
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.95
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 209.99
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside