(Topic ID: 2972)

Help, I can't stop buying pinball machines!!

By wesperron

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bradbot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Is there such thing as Pinball Anonymous?? Because I'm addicted.
    For three years I owned a LAH and was fine with just that one. I fought the urge to buy another one up until Last October when I broke down in a cold sweat and ran out to buy a TZ. Thats when I started to go downhill. A week later I bought a Roadshow...Would that satisfy my craving? NO. A month later I bought a Party Zone and then I really fell off the wagon.....Next thing I know I'm waking up in the wee hours of the morning to drive 10 hours to pick up a Champion Pub.....My friends think I've lost it...Really they talk to me as if I might be bi-polar.....Bi-polar? No but maybe Bi-pinball!!! I eat, drink and sleep pinball!!!

What do I do? I've got a WH2o arriving tomorrow morning. In six months I bought 6 pinball machines. Why did they make so many good ones!!! Those Bastards!

Oh look, an IJ just went up for sale on ebay....gotta go.

#2 9 years ago

If you run out of room, I'd be willing to "store" a couple of them for you.!!!

#3 9 years ago

The great thing about it is that if you look after them, you can never really lose money. The top machines are only increasing in value, so buy up big whilst you can..

Champion pub is a gun machine by the way.

#4 9 years ago

easy to buy - hard to sell

#5 9 years ago

Only 6 in 6 months?? Rookie!! lol

#6 9 years ago

You know you have it bad once you get so many games that you have no space left to set them up. That happened to me a couple of years back.

There is a business called "Pinballers Anonymous" here in the UK. It's not trading at the moment. It was thriving a couple of years back and Nick who runs it ran the EPC and IFPA world competition in 2008 (IFPC6?). He is now taking a break to get some balance back in his life. He sold games and parts rather than sorted out other peoples addiction though.
    No point in contacting him for help at the moment I guess!

#7 9 years ago

The good or bad thing is that space always gets us in the end......I could buy 20 or 30 ( funds permitting ) but the reality is that 5 will always be my max and I am trying to slowly reach this as then it is time to flip........and that could be tricky

#8 9 years ago

Six, high end machines... My wife would be wearing pincess Di's jewelry before I made it too that level... this will take some time.

#9 9 years ago

In the past 2 weeks I've sold a game at auction and bought 2 90's WMS games and a 70's gottlieb wedgehead.

#10 9 years ago

Is there such thing as Pinball Anonymous?? Because I'm addicted.

That's fantastic news! Happy to hear that! Cos pinball is the only addiction that is good for you

And pinball anonymous? Hey that's us.

- Robin: "Hi I'm Robin, and I'm a pinball-aholic!"

- Group: [applaudes] "Hi Robin!"

#11 9 years ago

Champion pub is a gun machine by the way.

Liegh, What is a gun machine???

#12 9 years ago

could be worse things to be addicted too!

#13 9 years ago

Why is pinball addicting? Is it the themes? The satisfaction of restoration? The game of Pinball? The art/beauty of the machines? or everything?

Oh my WH2o arrived this morning...It's in better shape than I expected. I bought it sight unseen. I had my fingers crossed for a over a week while it came from CA.
    Now I just have to move the fridge outside and set the game up inside.

#14 9 years ago

I don't have a problem with a pinball addiction, its other stuff like money, my job and my family that get in the way of my hobby that I find annoying!

#15 9 years ago

@wesperron, I suppose I am addicted because its like I have a work of art I am playing/enjoying and preserving/restoring at the same time. Can you ever really be done restoring and modding a machine? I suppose you could, but I have never seem to run out of things I would like to add/fix in the future.

#16 9 years ago

As long as we continue to play them. They will continue to break.

The circle of life.

#17 9 years ago

Quote:

"It's no longer a warmth hidden in my veins: it's Venus entire and whole fastening on her prey."

Jean Racine

Good luck finding more pinball "prey".

#18 9 years ago

Hmm maybe you joined the wrong forum for help with a pinball obsession?

#19 9 years ago

I would probably have 4 now (in less than 4 months) If people wouldn't keep buying them up before I get a chance to check them out!

Fish tales for 1000
    Elvira ATPM for 1050

JP owners decided they are keeping it too!!

#20 9 years ago

wesperron, a "gun" machine means a great, high end machine.

#21 9 years ago

Wesperron; Thank You. I described/relayed your sickness too my wife. It somehow scewed her opinion of my purchasing in a postive manner. Then we went to the local vending machine company and I bought that High Speed they've been asking too much for. It is my third machine, and has sentimental value as at age 16 I sold my first pin to pay for a speeding ticket.

"Pull over buddy!"

#22 9 years ago

Leigh; I was curious about "gun machine" also. GHEM= great high end machine, "Top Gun" machine perhaps? I am still learning my pinhead slang and acronyms. Where did you first hear this synonym, and in what context was it used?

#23 9 years ago

Oh, it is an Australian slang word, it basically just means great/fantastic etc etc.
    In American terms for instance, if your quarterback is a great player, we would say that he is a gun.

It is a term of endearment, "my son is a gun football player", "Tiger Woods is a gun golfer", "Champion Pub is a gun pinball machine".

Sorry if i was misunderstood, we talk a lot of slang over here..

#24 9 years ago

Jeas... I cannot believe how international this site is. Very educational. Thanks for the reply. Just got my new High Speed home about four hours ago... It is not a state of the art machine... but I just love it. It smacks of Mad Max... a Great Ausi flick?

#25 9 years ago

Did you know that Mel Gibson was born in America?

#26 9 years ago

How did it happen that his Debut films were Ausi? I also remember a film where he was a meat truck driver, with female hitchhikers being murdered. I Cannot remember the film's name though.

#27 9 years ago

He was born in New York and his parents moved to Sydney, Aus when he was 12, not sure which film that was.

#28 9 years ago

Help, I can't stop buying pinball machines!!

You don't need any help, you're exactly were all want to be!!

#29 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure Gibson studied acting at NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Art). I lived right down the street from the NIDA building when I attended The University of New South Whales back in 1993.

#30 9 years ago

Yes, correct gweempose

#31 9 years ago

Gweempose; i see you have both of the pinball 2000 models. i have been looking for one too play here, and the only one i have been able to track down is at the Strategic Air Command base bowling alley (and I cannot go there as I am civilian). So anyway... how do you like them? did you have to invest alot into the CRT and video electonics? Where do you rank them along side conventional pins?

#32 9 years ago

Did you know that Mel Gibson was born in America?

Yes, and were sorry.

He's not a gun actor.

#33 9 years ago

Tell me if this is bad or what.....I live in New England. Out of the 7 machines I have bought 2 of them have come from california and takes about 5 to 7 business days to get here.

Both times I bought a machine from CA I ended up buying another machine while I was waiting for it to arrive and getting it in my house before the machine from CA arrived. Twice I did this.

Are there 12 steps in Pinballers Anonymous?
    If so the first step should be....Always pick up your pinball machines so you don't buy one while your waiting.

#34 9 years ago

Gweempose; I see you have both of the pinball 2000 models ... how do you like them?

I love them. RFM is one of my all time favorite machines, and SWE1 is a lot of fun as well. They are also really popular with guests. I'd say RFM gets more play than any other machine when I have non-pinheads over.

Did you have to invest a lot into the CRT and video electronics?

No. My particular machines were both HUO with very little plays. Consequently, all of the original hardware is still in perfect working order. I even picked up a spare monitor from tatman just in case I ever need it.

Where do you rank them along side conventional pins?

Check out my rankings and see for yourself:

http://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/gweempose/ratings

#35 9 years ago

gweempose; thank you for your response. I still can't get onto the S.A.C. air force base (where the SWE1 is the only pinball 2000 in the wild) in my territory. Will continue searching for the opportuinity to play. As little respect at these machines seem to get from pinsiders, I can't help but respect them as the final milepost in the "era of pinball proper". Hope on the stars that WOZ will begin a new era.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 45.00
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside