Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pop bumber lights wiring (resized).jpg
switch (resized).jpg
wire test (resized).png
spoon (resized).PNG
#1 1 year ago

For years now my Lethal Weapon 3 pinball game's pop bumpers only activate when the ball hits them with medium or hard contact. Soft contact and the ball just rolls off them and the pop bumpers don't activate. So I did some research and decided to try adjusting the switches on them. Two of them seem better now. But the third one went from weak to completely dead. I did the game's switch test and confirmed the switch won't closed. The coil works but the switch itself doesn't trigger the coil now at all. Since I was trying to adjust the switch and it went from working to dead it surely seems like I damaged the switch when trying to adjust it. Before I order a new switch and swap it out I'm wondering how to verify it's a bad switch.

I can see where the plunger on the playfield hits the switch. Is there a way to move up the switch a couple inches with a screw driver or something touching both leads and thus closing the switch and making the coil fire? Or is there a better way? I'm a novice at repairing my pinball game. thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much.

#2 1 year ago

It could be that the switch is very dirty. Try taking a business card and running it across the contact points while gently holding the switch closed with your fingers or needle nose pliers. Be careful not to bend the switch. I would not move the switch from its current position, we just need to figure out why the switch isn't electrically closing - either from dirt or mis-adjustment. Pictures of the switch would also help.

#3 1 year ago

Hi. I did that yesterday on all three bumper switches and I could visibility see some dirty removed. I intentionally bent the switches slightly yesterday because I thought changing the gap on the switch would make it more reactive/sensitive.

#4 1 year ago

is the tail of your pop bumper skirt worn or broken.....is it centered properly

#5 1 year ago

also check the spoon on the switch,,,,,is it dirty or sticky

#6 1 year ago

What is the switch spoon? When I have the playfield in the upright position to expose the underside the switch doesn't activate when I push on it directly with my finger. The other two pop bumpers. So I think that rules out the bumper skirt being the main problem, right?. The skirt is clearly damaged on the playfield top though. I'm not sure about the bottom until I get in for a closer look.

#7 1 year ago

The switch spoon is the cupped thing that literally looks like a spoon - it doesnt sound like that's your problem though -

how aggressively did you clean the contacts on that pop bumper? There's a chance you totally wore away the coating.

Try jumping a wire from one switch lug to the other and see if it fires -

spoon (resized).PNGspoon (resized).PNG

Aside from that, I don't know what the odds are that a transistor was damaged while you were poking around -

#8 1 year ago

Bending the switch is the correct way to adjust the gap, but depending on where it is bent can adjust it to the point where the contacts do not close flush with each other. Again, post pics it will be much easier for us to see what is going on.

#9 1 year ago

Thanks for explaining the spoon. I didn't even know that was in there. I'll look for it. And I'll take some picture but I won't be able to post until late tonight. I want to do the wire test as you mentioned. when you say touch the wires to the switch lugs is that like the attached picture in red?

wire test (resized).pngwire test (resized).png
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from ryaninsartell:

Thanks for explaining the spoon. I didn't even know that was in there. I'll look for it. And I'll take some picture but I won't be able to post until late tonight. I want to do the wire test as you mentioned. when you say touch the wires to the switch lugs is that like the attached picture in red?
[quoted image]

Yes - just like that - you're just taking the switch contacts out of the equation -

If it registers like that, either the switches are still dirty, misadjusted, or the gold coating is worn off -

#11 1 year ago

Thanks everybody. I will let you know tomorrow how it went. I appreciate you all.

#12 1 year ago

Good morning. I tried jumping a wire between the two lugs. It worked but only a couple times. I unscrewed the switch and it fired a couple more times but not still not consistently. When I held the switch in my hand at different angles it seemed to fire off more often. I'm thinking the wires just need to be re-soldered to the lug. Visually I can't see that the wires came un-soldered but I think the contact isn't solid. Make sense?

switch (resized).jpgswitch (resized).jpg
#13 1 year ago

If you're moving it around and it's firing sporadically, that sounds like a poor connection or broken wire inside the wire covering where you can't see it.

I'd double check the connection/solder on the green/white wires -

if you decide to re-solder, I'd start with those - snip the wire back at least an inch or so (make sure you still have some slack). The ends get brittle.

Also, make sure nothing is touching on the lugs or diode - sounds obvious, but still......

#14 1 year ago

Thank you!

#15 1 year ago

Certainly start with the resoldering - it can't hurt if you are good at soldering.

If it were mine, I would rebuild the whole pop bumper as you mentioned the skirt is already cracked/broken. While you are in there you can change the coil sleeve, plunger, and spoon/switch resulting in great pop action. The skirt at both ends of the unit and the spoon itself wear over time and affect reaction to the ball.

#16 1 year ago

I'm bad at soldering and haven't had a chance to work on this again yet. I bought a Pin2DMD and hooked that up today. And I'm upgrading to LEDs. So I've been busy improving my game.

Two of the pop bumper lights don't work. I tested for voltage on the top and bottom of the playfield and only found voltage on the 1 of 3 bulbs that works. The wires are soldered to this little board. What should I check next to troubleshoot this lighting issue? Thanks again!

pop bumber lights wiring (resized).jpgpop bumber lights wiring (resized).jpg
#17 1 year ago

I'm bad at soldering and haven't had a chance to work on this again yet. I bought a Pin2DMD and hooked that up today. And I'm upgrading to LEDs. So I've been busy improving my game.
Two of the pop bumper lights don't work. I tested for voltage on the top and bottom of the playfield and only found voltage on the 1 of 3 bulbs that works. The wires are soldered to this little board. What should I check next to troubleshoot this lighting issue? Thanks again!
[quoted image]

Pull out the manual, put the machine in lamp test, and look on the lamp matrix to see which lamps are out. Often if you have multiple lights out it is a broken or disconnected wire anywhere from under the playfield to where it connects in the back box. The lamp matrix will tell you, based on which lamps are out, what color the wire is that’s missing connection, and often exactly where it is.

#18 1 year ago

I'm learning so much. columns and rows in the lamp matrix are daisy chained. So if the entire column or row is out then then it could be an issue with the wire at the board, the board itself, or a break in the wire that causes everything downstream from that point not to work? If it's just specific bulbs, like in my case, then it could be the bulb, socket, or soldering for that bulb, right? Do both the column and row wires contain voltage? If they both have voltage then does than mean there isn't a ground? Or is the light socket itself the ground. If they both contain voltage how should I test with my multimeter? One lead on the wire (either column or row wire) and the other to what? Newbie questions I know!

#19 1 year ago

Sorry that was a lot of questions

#20 1 year ago

Okay I referenced the lamp matrix and verified the only bulbs NOT working are the two pop bumpers. The matrix told me the wires for each pop bumper and I can see them from under the playfield as well. I used my multimeter and the voltage was about 6 volts before the diode but only 1 after the diode. Could this mean the diodes are on backwards? or broken?

1 week later
#21 1 year ago

My issue is resolved. As suggested I cut the wires back an inch and resoldered. The bumpers and lights work great now. Thank you!!!

#22 1 year ago

My issue is resolved. As suggested I cut the wires back an inch and resoldered. The bumpers and lights work great now. Thank you!!!

Awesome!! Glad you got it fixed!

And thank you for letting us know the resolution!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-how-to-troubleshoot-switch-on-pop-bumper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.