(Topic ID: 250435)

Help! How do I save this Fireball backglass?

By Jappie

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jappie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190830_094223 (resized).jpg
20190830_094206 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello!

I've got this beautiful framed Fireball backglass on my wall. Beautiful, apart from one aspect: there's a crack in the upper right corner.

The crack was already there when I had the backglass framed, but looking at it now, I think it might have already gotten a bit bigger.

My question: is there a way of stopping this process of the backglass slowly destroying itself? Some kind of glue, maybe? I'm afraid that, if I do nothing, the backglass wil be in two halves. Hope somebody can help me!

20190830_094206 (resized).jpg20190830_094206 (resized).jpg20190830_094223 (resized).jpg20190830_094223 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

You could try a windshield glass repair kit. It would basically fill the crack with clear resin, though with a fine crack like that, I'm not sure if the resin will be able to get into it or not.

#3 4 years ago

You might also look into aquarium glass repair and kits. Very specialized and used by people obsessed with the clearest glass.

#4 4 years ago

Not to be a downer, sooner or later you are going to have 2 pieces of glass. That crack is going to progress regardless of what you do.

Vibration and heat cycling will make it progress.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Not to be a downer, sooner or later you are going to have 2 pieces of glass. That crack is going to progress regardless of what you do.
Vibration and heat cycling will make it progress.

It might be best to actually crack it all the way down and then repair... especially if it's just staying as a wall hanging. The frame might be too tight as well causing even more stress.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

It might be best to actually crack it all the way down and then repair... especially if it's just staying as a wall hanging. The frame might be too tight as well causing even more stress.

Nah, I'm not breaking a beautiful backglass. In case it's not possible to prevent it, than it'll just break when it breaks.

The glass can move quite freely inside its frame, that is not the cause of this problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-how-do-i-save-this-fireball-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.