(Topic ID: 231300)

Help-Granny and the Gators- locked on coil? Not the usual suspects...

By shacklersrevenge

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So I'm continuing to dig this one out, but here is the story.

I picked up a granny and the gators, and it's locked on the big coil at power on for the reset drop targets, which is transistor q36, pin 4 on the connector for the driver board.
    The transistor tested fine, but I replaced it with a tip 102 anyways. Still locked on. I took my good baby pacman board out and put it in granny, and all is well.

When I put the ''bad'' granny board in baby pac, same thing, locked on coil in the baby pac instead. That area around q36 tests fine and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

A little back story, the connector that powers that specific coil was out of the connector at pin 4. Either because it fell out, got pulled out, locked on, or whatever, but I can also assume that it's possible someone plugged it in the wrong spot as well. Again, granny works fine with the baby pacs board, so it is something on that granny driver. I've tested around the board, I don't see any shorts.

What could be causing the lock up? I'm wondering if it's a switch issue, as when I picked it up, the switches were making contact even when the drops were UP, on Granny...though i'm skeptical that would actually cause short to the chips?

Thanks in advance

#2 5 years ago

Try looking further up on the signal path--have you checked the chip(s) that drive that transistor on the driver board?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Try looking further up on the signal path--have you checked the chip(s) that drive that transistor on the driver board?

Any idea which chip drives it? I’ve replaced u3, u4, and u5 , trying to dig through the manual to find it

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Any idea which chip drives it? I’ve replaced u3, u4, and u5 , trying to dig through the manual to find it

Not off hand. I don't have schematics handy at the moment.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-granny-and-the-gators-locked-on-coil-not-the-usual-suspects and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.