4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Paul Bunyan Control Bank reset (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I just picked up a Gottlieb Paul Bunyan. Turn game on and start a game, the ball counter reset coil keeps firing for a bit then eventually stops and ball kicks out. But the stepper ends up on ball 2.

I can manual turn back the stepper to ball 1. Here is a link to a video someone else posted that shows what's happening:

Its also now stuck in tilt and game doesn't switch to player 2 even though it did. I moved the tilt relay to open the switches then came out of tilt. Tilt plumb bob not in and ball tilt switch and one on coin door is open. Any ideas?

Picked up on Sunday and wasn't working. Score reel kept going on player 1 hundreds but made sure contacts clean and on 0 all switches open and closed on 9 and 1-8 closed open closed. 3 player 1 score reel EOS switches are bad. Missing contacts and one broken blade.

#2 4 years ago

The Subtract Ball Count solenoid fires as long as the SB/Start relay is tripped. It doesn't sound like your SB relay or the control bank resets in the video.
Paul Bunyan Control Bank reset (resized).jpgPaul Bunyan Control Bank reset (resized).jpg
It may be that the Zero Position switch on the Ball Count Unit (in the red box) isn't closing or it could be that any of the other switches in the Control Bank Reset solenoid circuit (Motor 4C, D1, D1, SB Armature) aren't closing or the 1/2 amp slow-blow fuse could be bad.

If the Sequence Bank ever resets that would prove that the fuse and Motor 4C switch are good.

If you're manually getting the game to start without the Control Bank resetting that could introduce all sorts of wonky behavior including tilt issues. I'd debug the reset issue first.

/Mark

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The Subtract Ball Count solenoid fires as long as the SB/Start relay is tripped. It doesn't sound like your SB relay or the control bank resets in the video.
[quoted image]
It may be that the Zero Position switch on the Ball Count Unit (in the red box) isn't closing or it could be that any of the other switches in the Control Bank Reset solenoid circuit (Motor 4C, D1, D1, SB Armature) aren't closing or the 1/2 amp slow-blow fuse could be bad.
If the Sequence Bank ever resets that would prove that the fuse and Motor 4C switch are good.
If you're manually getting the game to start without the Control Bank resetting that could introduce all sorts of wonky behavior including tilt issues. I'd debug the reset issue first.
/Mark

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely check. Really appreciate it. the video is not of my machine but it does the same thing. The blue coil on top of the unit keeps firing but eventually stops. I will take a video of mine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-gottlieb-ball-count-unit-trouble-and-stuck-in-tilt?hl=ballykiss1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.