• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181103_204726 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Expert help needed...
Finally got everything working on the Gorgar. After playing a couple of games, it seemed that the flippers were a bit weak. As a result, I decided to take the coils out and replace the sleeves with plastic sleeves, clean the parts, and re-install. Also cleaned the EOS switches and the switches on the buttons that activate the flippers during game play. After all the work was done, I turned on the game to give it a try. The flippers did not work at all while everything else worked fine. Checked the fuse on the power supply... blown! I noticed that someone had put a fast blow fuse in prior and so I replaced it with the proper fuse (10A slow blow). Turned the game on, still the flippers are not working and the fuse did not blow. ? I have noticed that when I hit the flipper buttons on the side of the game, the playfield lights dim just a little. Could this be an issue with the diodes on the coils? Wanted to check the experts before getting too far in the weeds trying to guess the issue.

Thanks in advance ...

#2 5 years ago

Double check that you soldered the wires in the right location on the coils and check for good solder joints. Are you showing the correct voltage on the coils with a multimeter?

#3 5 years ago

Check coil diodes and resistance on the coil as well in case an EOS short fried them. EOS switches are gapped appropriately and don't look burned? Do they test good with a meter for continuity?

#4 5 years ago

Sorry for the double post - have you checked the fuse under the playfield?

#5 5 years ago

Status... Disconnected all the wires off of the coils, cleaned, and re soldered them. Turned on the machine, still no flippers. Also, as mentioned above, when I hit the buttons on the side of the game, the playfield lights will dim slightly. Grantopia mentioned a fuse under the playfield. I cannot find a fuse under the playfield... Where is it located? Also, with the lights slightly dimming I would think it is getting some current. ? Now curious if I have the wires connected incorrectly. Can anyone explain the configuration? Scratching my head...

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from donnPin:

Status... Disconnected all the wires off of the coils, cleaned, and re soldered them. Turned on the machine, still no flippers. Also, as mentioned above, when I hit the buttons on the side of the game, the playfield lights will dim slightly. Grantopia mentioned a fuse under the playfield. I cannot find a fuse under the playfield... Where is it located? Also, with the lights slightly dimming I would think it is getting some current. ? Now curious if I have the wires connected incorrectly. Can anyone explain the configuration? Scratching my head...

It should be around the flippers somewhere...on my Flash it's near the left flipper not 100% sure on system 6 games...assuming the same. See top of the pic attached.

Did you try the other stuff mentioned above? Check voltage at the coil, check resistance to see if the coil is good, switch gaps, also check the diodes on the coil...lots to rule out still...

20181103_204726 (resized).jpg20181103_204726 (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

update... Checked the coils with ohm meter and they are showing good. Also, checked voltages on the power supply board and the voltages at J3 - pins 4 and 5 are at 25 volts (schematic shows 28V - ?). Checked voltages at the coils and they are 22V. Neither of the flippers are working...

#8 5 years ago

Run a jumper from ground to Driver Board J12 pin 1 or 2. With this ground jumper in place, press flipper button. Do they fire?

#9 5 years ago

well just discovered something... I cut one of the diodes on the coil and checked it. It tested bad! Checked the other side... bad also. So now to replace the diodes. Still confused / concerned as of what would have made them go bad at the same time just by taking the "units" out to re-sleeve the coils and clean. Also, recall from first post that a fuse blew after turning the machine back on after the cleaning (which one probably had the effect on the other ). Anyway, I will get some new diodes and move forward. Update to follow...

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from donnPin:

well just discovered something... I cut one of the diodes on the coil and checked it. It tested bad! Checked the other side... bad also. So now to replace the diodes. Still confused / concerned as of what would have made them go bad at the same time just by taking the "units" out to re-sleeve the coils and clean. Also, recall from first post that a fuse blew after turning the machine back on after the cleaning (which one probably had the effect on the other ). Anyway, I will get some new diodes and move forward. Update to follow...

It's not too uncommon for coil diodes to go bad after a while. I just finished going through a Bally Frontier this summer and both flipper coil diodes were fried. Replace them and report back!

#11 5 years ago

Replaced diodes and fried immediately after hitting the flipper button. Definitely a good learning lesson here! Back to scratching my head...

#12 5 years ago

Are you sure you wired the flipper coils correctly? Post pics of the coils and perhaps someone will be able to see the problem.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from donnPin:

Replaced diodes and fried immediately after hitting the flipper button. Definitely a good learning lesson here! Back to scratching my head...

Did the flippers activate when you did this? When you say fried...what fried? The new diodes?

#14 5 years ago

Problem resolved... I went back through EVERYTHING for a second look to try to determine the problem. This process included taking everything off the playfield that has anything to do with the flippers.... coils, switches, and put new wires in place were the old wires were starting to look less than perfect (from the EOS switches to the coils) and cleaned up any old solder "hacks" that I had inherited... After the process was completed, problem fixed. Im sure there had to be a short somewhere causing the issue. As mentioned above, I rechecked the voltages at the coils and initially they were showing ~22volts. After the re-examination and putting back together, they are at 24 volts. Lesson learned. Should have done this initially. Thanks to all who assisted in the project. Hopefully this will help a newby in the future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-gorgar-flipper-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.