(Topic ID: 296190)

Help for Crumbling Particle Board Cabinets

By wolverinetuner

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD908494-A98A-4BD5-BFDB-D07917761334 (resized).png
    12F99AD1-9C77-40EB-AD14-4D0E95B29BA6 (resized).png
    3C00BA78-F1C9-468D-8EBD-13D1AD818D37 (resized).jpeg
    459855B8-3D74-48C6-8C4A-7B3AF9D9CE72 (resized).jpeg
    83F65816-914E-45B2-B069-24B15CDF4DDD (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I recently bought a Sonic Super Straight with a beautiful playfield (wish all the manufacturers made them that durable), and a really nice backglass, but also the all-too-common apparently water- or humidity-damaged particle board cabinet. It was falling apart in pieces at the bottom of the side panels. I didn’t take photos, but these were taken by the seller, so you can get an idea of the condition (before more of it came off in the back of my vehicle).
    CD908494-A98A-4BD5-BFDB-D07917761334 (resized).pngCD908494-A98A-4BD5-BFDB-D07917761334 (resized).png12F99AD1-9C77-40EB-AD14-4D0E95B29BA6 (resized).png12F99AD1-9C77-40EB-AD14-4D0E95B29BA6 (resized).png

After searching the web, I discovered some items made by PC Products to help this cabinet. I got them at two different local hardware stores.

First, I applied PC Rot Terminator, which is a two-part liquid epoxy designed to treat rotted wood. It soaked in and turned the flaking mess at the edges of the particle board into a solid hardened material. I made many applications, probably more than necessary, and was pleased with the solid result.3C00BA78-F1C9-468D-8EBD-13D1AD818D37 (resized).jpeg3C00BA78-F1C9-468D-8EBD-13D1AD818D37 (resized).jpeg

Then I used their PC Woody two-part paste epoxy to fill in the areas that had flaked away. I got the larger cans. My hand is in the photo to show the size of the containers; they’re not really that large. I got two sets, and I used most of it.83F65816-914E-45B2-B069-24B15CDF4DDD (resized).jpeg83F65816-914E-45B2-B069-24B15CDF4DDD (resized).jpeg

I didn’t take photos along the way, but here is the cabinet after touching up the repaired areas. This is not high-end by any means, but the cabinet is solid, definitely looking better, and I’m confident that I could load and transport it without pieces flaking off.459855B8-3D74-48C6-8C4A-7B3AF9D9CE72 (resized).jpeg459855B8-3D74-48C6-8C4A-7B3AF9D9CE72 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

I've used that PC Woody product to repair rotted window frames and it really works well. It has a similar consistency to wood so it sands and paints well.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

I've used that PC Woody product to repair rotted window frames and it really works well. It has a similar consistency to wood so it sands and paints well.

It did work very well, but this cabinet needed the PC Rot Terminator first. Otherwise, I think any additional particle board flaking would have taken the PC Woody with it.

2 years later
    #4 8 months ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I recently bought a Sonic Super Straight with a beautiful playfield (wish all the manufacturers made them that durable), and a really nice backglass, but also the all-too-common apparently water- or humidity-damaged particle board cabinet. It was falling apart in pieces at the bottom of the side panels. I didn’t take photos, but these were taken by the seller, so you can get an idea of the condition (before more of it came off in the back of my vehicle).
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    After searching the web, I discovered some items made by PC Products to help this cabinet. I got them at two different local hardware stores.
    First, I applied PC Rot Terminator, which is a two-part liquid epoxy designed to treat rotted wood. It soaked in and turned the flaking mess at the edges of the particle board into a solid hardened material. I made many applications, probably more than necessary, and was pleased with the solid result.[quoted image]
    Then I used their PC Woody two-part paste epoxy to fill in the areas that had flaked away. I got the larger cans. My hand is in the photo to show the size of the containers; they’re not really that large. I got two sets, and I used most of it.[quoted image]
    I didn’t take photos along the way, but here is the cabinet after touching up the repaired areas. This is not high-end by any means, but the cabinet is solid, definitely looking better, and I’m confident that I could load and transport it without pieces flaking off.[quoted image]

Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to try this method on a Mars Trek that I recently aquired.

Was there any lessons you learned along the way that you learned along the way that would be good to know before I start?

#5 8 months ago
    Quoted from explosiveegg:

Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to try this method on a Mars Trek that I recently aquired.
    Was there any lessons you learned along the way that you learned along the way that would be good to know before I start?

The biggest thing I learned was to be patient with the liquid epoxy (“Rot Terminator”). I applied enough to completely soak the cabinet side particle board bottom edges (with the cabinet empty and upside down) with each application, but I probably put a bit too much on in some of the applications (I applied it many times, letting it dry between applications). Some of the liquid epoxy ran down (actually up) both the inside and outside of the cab. I’m not too concerned about the inside, but I had a rag to wipe up drips down the outside, and I missed a couple. Thankfully, the drips aren’t highly noticeable on my Super Straight, since the cabinet has yellowed. I did want to make sure every part of the flaking bottom edges was rock solid.

I’m starting to work on a Mars Trek right now, in fact! It’s a great pin, IMO.

#6 8 months ago

One other lesson learned:

The liquid epoxy directions say to drill holes in the wood. I did, but they were really not necessary on my cabinet. The particle board was flaking badly enough that it readily soaked in the liquid epoxy deeply enough on its own.

#7 8 months ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

One other lesson learned:
    The liquid epoxy directions say to drill holes in the wood. I did, but they were really not necessary on my cabinet. The particle board was flaking badly enough that it readily soaked in the liquid epoxy deeply enough on its own.

Thanks for the additional tips!

Mars Trek is definitely one of my favorite EMs. I'm glad to get one in my collection, and I hope the work you do on yours goes smoothly!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-for-crumbling-particle-board-cabinets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.