• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jojo22
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,
I'm anxious to do a playfield swap on my mata hari, but although I've done some basic restoration work I've yet to take on a project this big. I would love to hear any advice/tips/tricks you guys might be able to share, and what I may need to make the project easier. I don't have a ton of space, and don't yet have a routisserie. Just assume that any and all advice is needed and welcome. thanks!!

#2 10 years ago

Go to YouTube, check out Gameroom collectibles. They are currently doing a playfield swap on a taxi in a multi-part series

#3 10 years ago

will do thanks.

#4 10 years ago

pictures pictures pictures....and when you think you have enough, take more pictures

#5 10 years ago

I recall reading on RGP or something that people remove all the screws, staples and what have you and slide the entire mess in one piece from the old PF onto a sheet of plywood and then transfer it in the same manner to the new PF to retain the general position of all the parts.

I'd probably do a little labeling of things that aren't obvious and mark the corresponding positions on the old pf for reference, and as previous posters suggest, take a million or so pictures.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from NunjoBiznezz:

I recall reading on RGP or something that people remove all the screws, staples and what have you and slide the entire mess in one piece from the old PF onto a sheet of plywood and then transfer it in the same manner to the new PF to retain the general position of all the parts.
I'd probably do a little labeling of things that aren't obvious and mark the corresponding positions on the old pf for reference, and as previous posters suggest, take a million or so pictures.

That is how I did my Bally Eight Ball and It worked out very well.

#7 10 years ago

cool, thanks a bunch everyone. I have a harbor freight gift card and need to make a trip over there soon, anything you guys can think of that I will absolutely need?

#8 10 years ago

As others have said take many, many, many pictures. I did a Mata Hari playfield swap a few months back, it was well worth it. Be carefull removing the staples from the ground wire, it is eazy to break. This site http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html has the best staple gun to restaple the ground wire on the new playfield.

#9 10 years ago

thanks PEN, i've been in need of a good stapler for use on my Pins so that's really helpful. Only problem is I don't have a compressor even, it's probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyways, are there any other stapler alternatives that will work? Obviously, a long neck is key.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from jojo22:

thanks PEN, i've been in need of a good stapler for use on my Pins so that's really helpful. Only problem is I don't have a compressor even, it's probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyways, are there any other stapler alternatives that will work? Obviously, a long neck is key.

I looked at some of the electric ones at Home Depot, they are similar, but not quite as skinny and long. They may work ok anyway, but I can not confirm. I would have tried one of the electric ones out if I did not have a compressor. If money is no object, you can't go wrong buying a decent compressor. Mine is 30 + years old and still running strong....(Thanks for the tools Dad)

#11 10 years ago

Probably worth it to own one...Btw Ray's videos from the gameroom collectibles page are awesome, thanks for suggesting them.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

As others have said take many, many, many pictures. I did a Mata Hari playfield swap a few months back, it was well worth it. Be carefull removing the staples from the ground wire, it is eazy to break. This site http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html has the best staple gun to restaple the ground wire on the new playfield.

A lot of the tools sold at pinrestore are Harbor Freight tools and can be bought cheaper through Harbor Freight.

#13 10 years ago

when you do the playfield swap, how about starting a thread here and keep us updated. it would be cool to see it progress.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

when you do the playfield swap, how about starting a thread here and keep us updated. it would be cool to see it progress.

absolutely. would be the least i can do for all the help i've gotten here. will probably be some time before i have the space to take on the project but i will gladly share with everyone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-for-a-first-timer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.