• Latest reply 6 years ago by sed6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5666 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Well today was supposed to be a big day... I was finally going to put the cabinet decals on my street fighter. I pulled the first one out of storage only to discover there was a fold in it! I've tried using my sealing iron to take the fold out, but it is still noticeable. Does any one have a method for taking this fold crease out of my decal?

IMG_5666 (resized).JPGIMG_5666 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

It really depends on the vinyl used for the decal. Most of the time that crease is noticeable because of the memory of the backing paper its adhered to making it look prominent. When the decal is applied to the cabinet (removed from the backing paper) that crease may not be apparent at all after adhered to the new substrate. That said if there is an overlaminate that creased it may be more noticeable. I would bet it looks worse now than when applied to a properly prepped cabinet. In fact, it may disappear altogether.

#3 6 years ago

I used a heat gun after installation to remove some creases such as the one you have shown...the quality of the results is determined by the quality of the vinyl

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I used a heat gun after installation to remove some creases such as the one you have shown...the quality of the results is determined by the quality of the vinyl

A similar approach that may bear good results as well is to pull it off then backing paper first (just where the crease is) then try a -hair dryer- first. If that didn't remove the crease, try the heat gun. And use it sparingly; you can mess up the decal or the adhesive using either heat source

#5 6 years ago

Any crease can be flattened out. The question is how much damage will you do to the color or the shine during the process. I'd replace it altogether, but I'm a perfectionist...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-fold-in-cabinet-decal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.