• Latest reply 6 years ago by ericgu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1497 (resized).JPG
IMG_1495 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider colorado_cabrio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hey Gang -

I'm doing some work on my Bally Black Pyramid, and I have a novel problem. The right flipper works mostly normaly, but a few times a game it will get stuck in the "up" position, and stays that way until another coil fires. For example when it gets stuck I can make it drop by firing the left flipper coil (which functions fine all the time) or if any of the bumpers or kickouts fire the flipper will drop/get unstuck.

I've confirmed the problem is electrical not mechanical (duh but just in case).

Any bright ideas?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Straight_Shooter:

How did you confirm that the problem is electrical?

because when i turn off power to the machine and the flipper drops ;-0

1 month later
#6 6 years ago

Which EOS? I assume the stuck one? Any idea why the 2nd flipper “frees” it?

#11 6 years ago

Thank all for the responses - VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!

- I went back and reevaluated the issue-

The flipper bat mech and the flipper coil genuinely show no mechanical issues. They move freely and don't bind mechanically when current isn't present, or when the machine isn't powered. And for clarity, any solenoid, a slingshot or bumper solenoid is just as capable of making the stuck flipper drop as the other flipper.

The solenoids and EOS are both newer from a rebuild, new switches, new solenoids, and new nylon liners...but I could be overlooking something

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Magnetism at the coil stop... I'd bet money on it. It's an artifact that happens with the modern replacement parts frequently. I'd suggest just converting to the older bally flipper link design and it all becomes moot.

I'm starting to think this theory makes the most sense. It does explain the 'electrical' nature of the symptoms, but also why it's really mechanical at root and not related to circuity.

Do you think I need to replace the coil stop and the link/arm? Or maybe find a way to prevent the coil stop from becoming magnetized?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider colorado_cabrio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-flipper-stuck-onup-until-another-coil-fires-1984-bally?tu=colorado_cabrio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.