(Topic ID: 203595)

Help - Firepower where does lose cpu jumper wire go?

By Jduc

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jduc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0846_LI (resized).jpg
IMG-0845 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to pinball machines. I purchase a firepower machine that was not working. After removing the cpu board I noticed one of the jumper wires not being connected. It appears the board has be modified in the past. Please see the attached photos. Does this loose wire connect to pin 34 on the 40 pin connector?

Thanks for any help!

IMG-0845 (resized).JPGIMG-0845 (resized).JPG

IMG-0846_LI (resized).jpgIMG-0846_LI (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I'm not familiar with this mod but I found this site that describes what appears to be the same or a similar mod https://people.freebsd.org/~jwd/fpmod.html

You burn most of the code onto a 2732 ROM and change the addressing of the ROM socket to leverage the larger ROM.

Looks like that loose jumper is in Pin 21 of the ROM socket. On standard boards, this pin is tied to 5V. On the larger ROM, this is the A11 address line.

Confirm the trace for that pin is isolated from the larger trace on both sides of the pin.

The loose end of the jumper needs to tie into A11 which happens to be on pin 34 of the 40 pin connector (one away from where it is lying now). Take a close look at pin 34 to see if you can see the remnants of the cold solder joint for extra confidence this is correct.

Take this advice at your own risk as I have never performed this mod.

#3 6 years ago

Update - I soldered the loose jumper to pin 34 and that solved the problem. Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-firepower-where-does-lose-cpu-jumper-wire-go and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.