Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mfsrc791
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Backglass (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I am in the market for a machine to sit next to my WOZ. Since I only have room for 2 games, I would like to find something not similar to the WOZ. I am thinking easy rule-set with shots that are mostly easy to hit with a fun theme. Originally I was thinking Super Mario Bros, but the one we played was TOO easy and slow. I was hoping for some recommendations. Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Monster Bash
    The Addams Family
    Attack From Mars
    Indiana Jones
    Tales of The Arabian Nights
    Theatre of Magic

#3 7 years ago

You really cant go wrong with afm, mb , mm .... great flow with simple rules to learn but not easy to master or beat the game.

#4 7 years ago

Hey Taxi!

#5 7 years ago

I really want to try Monster Bash some day, but even if I love it, I don't think I want to drop that kind of cash on it. We tried AFM and I thought it was pretty fun. We have also tried MM and I think I may have liked that one a little more. Out of all the "music" pins, which one do you think fits the easier shots and rules?

This pin would be for my wife mostly, so I really just want something that she can just turn on and easily understand what to shoot at and why. Shots should feel satisfying and relatively easy.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I really want to try Monster Bash some day, but even if I love it, I don't think I want to drop that kind of cash on it. We tried AFM and I thought it was pretty fun. We have also tried MM and I think I may have liked that one a little more. Out of all the "music" pins, which one do you think fits the easier shots and rules?
    This pin would be for my wife mostly, so I really just want something that she can just turn on and easily understand what to shoot at and why. Shots should feel satisfying and relatively easy.

Met pro is also a great choice .... fast, flow and easy to learn rules . My wifes fav ....

#7 7 years ago

I would (and did) get a AFMr that is recently made available.
    Its bright and crisp and would look really good next to a WOZ.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

This pin would be for my wife mostly

My wife plays the WOZ and my IJ exclusively. Women love IJ. I think its the crack of the whip and the gun, which is a little scary, if you think about it.

#9 7 years ago

Of the games I own, my wife only plays TAF, Tron, and Ghostbusters.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys. What is surprising is that she really liked playing Champion Pub. I think it was because it was so interactive. The jump rope and bashing the boxer she found fun. I think the thing she does not like about the WOZ is that it has too much going on at once, not enough time to even look at the awesome LCD. We do both really like the LCD, so maybe Sterns new offerings might be interesting to us too.

#11 7 years ago

My suggestion is CFTBL. Rules are easy to understand and there are a lot of things to shoot for. This pinball has great ramps, great music and great lights. Plus new hologram mod is coming (Just in case the original hologram turned blue or black). When this hologram mod is finished. You will have two pinballs with awesome LCD displays. I think this classic retro theme will match your WOZ perfectly. The only downside of this pinball is the multi balls. It is a drain monster. My average multi time is between 15 seconds and 2 minutes.

Link:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I would like to find something not similar to the WOZ.

Alice in Wonderland?

Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Don't believe the hype when it comes to the ratings. I currently own 3 machines ToM, STTNG, and Fishtales. Guess which machine my family wants to play the most? Fishtales. Not just my wife but the kids too. Best thing to do is play as many as you can to find what you like. Don't judge a game by just one play. And don't listen to anyone else's opinion, including mine.

#14 7 years ago

the perfect machine is twilight zone. They made a shitload of them. Not hard to find. In fact, back in the day, everyone and anyone that collected pinball, either had or had owned a TZ at one point. It was kind of a right of passage to be a pinball collector. They were a dime a dozen back then and plenty to go around. Still are, but some people are hoarding them and driving the price up.

#15 7 years ago

Funny you mention fishtales Greenmachine, that is one I really want to try. The theme seems very good. No Good Gophers is another one I think might be fun. Twilight Zone might be one I can give another chance. The one I played I didn't enjoy that much for some reason.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the perfect machine is twilight zone. They made a shitload of them. Not hard to find. In fact, back in the day, everyone and anyone that collected pinball, either had or had owned a TZ at one point. It was kind of a right of passage to be a pinball collector. They were a dime a dozen back then and plenty to go around. Still are, but some people are hoarding them and driving the price up.

He said a different pin... TZ and WOZ are similar, stop and go, deep rules, not easy to understand.

I would advise you MM, whitewater, BSD,

#17 7 years ago

Dialed In or AFMR.

LTG : )

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

He said a different pin... TZ and WOZ are similar, stop and go, deep rules, not easy to understand.
    I would advise you MM, whitewater, BSD,

I don't see the similarities at all.

TZ is fantastic and almost a perfectly designed game.

WOZ is terrible. Shoots like ass and just all around not a good game.

#19 7 years ago

What era of pinball were you thinking? High speed or funhouse are simpler fun games. If you want a 90's DMD then any of the above suggestions like AFM TAF ect are awesome. Even world cup soccer is a cheaper pin and a hell of alot of fun. Good luck!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't see the similarities at all.
    TZ is fantastic and almost a perfectly designed game.
    WOZ is terrible. Shoots like ass and just all around not a good game.

LOL. Personal (and respectful opinion) but this is not what the folks think.

#21 7 years ago

Since it's for your wife,

Games I had that my gf really liked
    FT
    Addams Family
    Transformers
    Iron Man
    Walking Dead

Just my two cents

#22 7 years ago

My wife's favourite when we hit our local pinball place is Iron Man. She likes the simplicity of it.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

What era of pinball were you thinking?

Yeah nothing older than 90's I think. As far as WOZ being a bad pin, I disagree. The shots are very difficult to hit and the rules can be difficult to follow, but that is what I like about it. I feel like one super hard game is enough for a two pin collection . I keep hearing FT, so I am going to try to find one of those on location if possible. I have not tried Ironman yet, but I doubt that would be a theme that would hold her interest.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I am thinking easy rule-set with shots that are mostly easy to hit with a fun theme.

Quoted from loppydog:

Some good input so far. Here's some more feedback and machines.

I've found MM / MMR to be a big hit with everyone. The humorous sound track, awesome look with great toys and trolls, easy-to-understand rules and some easy goals brings them in every time. Some good depth and variety keeps people coming back. I will add most have no significant previous experience with the pin so it hasn't been played out by anyone.

I'd also suggest POTC. Like MM/MMR it has a great theme and look, great toys, some simple shots, some humour in the sound track, easier shooting and even longer games. It also has a lot of depth which many newer pins excel at to explore over time.

I like FT and have one but it doesn't bring 'em in like my other pins, and it is more difficult with shorter ball times.

Frankly, there are a lot of great game options out there, and many pins in the top 200 list could do the job. For example, interestingly, I've found kids and families have taken a shine to a recently added FS. Again, great theme (and look) for kids and those who grew up with the original series, humourous voice work, easy rules, good callouts, reasonable game play time (similar to MM/MMR) and an interesting three flipper layout.

Humour comes up over and over again in this feedback. I've found it's a real draw and would recommend looking for it. There will be a lot of good options out there. Good luck with the search. You should find out more specifically what you wife enjoys in a pin, e.g., theme, flow, lot of shots, etc.

#25 7 years ago

Yeah I agree about the humor. We had a Family Guy and even though the pin wasn't my favorite to play, the humor kept me coming back.

#26 7 years ago

South Park.

#27 7 years ago

AFMr or GB.

#28 7 years ago

South Park does indeed fit the criteria, but man I hated that game! There is actually a GB nearby me, and I am super excited to go try it!

#29 7 years ago

Plenty of good choices, half the fun is checking them out before you buy. Any shows coming up that you can attend? Personally I'm leaning towards AFMr.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

Any shows coming up that you can attend?

We have a lot of activity in Portland, but that is about 3 hours away. AFMr and MMr are both probably choices I couldn't go wrong with.

#31 7 years ago

NW show in Tacoma in June would be a good place to see a lot of games though 5 hours away from you.

Portland
    Ground Kontrol and QuarterWorld have a bunch of games.

And there is suppose to be a mega arcade coming to Hillsboro in the Fall.

#32 7 years ago

This is really a subjective topic as there are so many machines, & everyone's opinion varies as to what machine is a dud or a gem. I would highly suggest going out on location & playing as many machines as possible before making a decision. Also, there are some really great sites that offer pinball via touchscreen or a computer that simulate many titles very nicely. Stern Arcade Pinball is easily downloaded & offers a variety of machines to give you an insight to what you might truly like & want.
    I too have limited space, & we just rotate our line-up on a regular basis. We've had forty or so machines in & out within the past six years. Normally I have a project machine in one slot & the other two are our playable escapeisms from the grind & the rat race of what life can sometimes be. As of now, since I've been having trouble finding project machines, we have a WPT & TWD ~ & we are extremely pleased w/ these titles. I wish you the best in your quest for the perfect machine for you!

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

NW show in Tacoma in June would be a good place to see a lot of games

We are actually considering going this year. Do you know if there other things to do within walking distance?

#34 7 years ago

SM has lot of easy shots, plus easy rules. I'd give a shout out to Met pro and IM as well

#35 7 years ago

Bram Stokers Dracula.

#36 7 years ago

I'd suggest Scared Stiff. Cool theme, nice looking machine, relatively easy and fun to play.

#37 7 years ago

an EM

#38 7 years ago

Based on your first Post, of Super Mario, and your joy in your WOZ, Id recommend The Simpsons Pinball Party, with a color DMD.

#39 7 years ago

TSPP is actually one of my favorites, but I think my wife would have trouble getting into that one.

1 month later
    #40 6 years ago

So I have been searching for games lately, and I might have an option for either a TSPP or a Champion Pub. I have a feeling I already know the answer, but what would be your guys choice for home environment? I have played both and enjoyed both.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-finding-the-perfect-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.