4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ezatnova
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

My Raven has had reset issues where the game will shut down/display will crash/odd sound starts, or just when sitting idle it will reboot over and over. Sometimes it’s fine. Sometimes it’s not.

Just tried unplugging the reset board and it seems better behaved.

Googled the reset board (“Gottlieb system 80b A24 reset board”) and the only thing I’m finding is a link to Marco which shows an out of stock and DIFFERENT reset board that’s what I have. Further googling revealed that there are two different reset boards. (One just reset and I guess the other is reset and static).

Not having any luck finding a link to buy a new reset board that is right for my Raven. Any thoughts?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from ezatnova:

My Raven has had reset issues where the game will shut down/display will crash/odd sound starts, or just when sitting idle it will reboot over and over. Sometimes it’s fine. Sometimes it’s not.
    Just tried unplugging the reset board and it seems better behaved.
    Googled the reset board (“Gottlieb system 80b A24 reset board”) and the only thing I’m finding is a link to Marco which shows an out of stock and DIFFERENT reset board that’s what I have. Further googling revealed that there are two different reset boards. (One just reset and I guess the other is reset and static).
    Not having any luck finding a link to buy a new reset board that is right for my Raven. Any thoughts?

Home use not needed, leave it unplugged. All mine are.

#3 4 years ago

I’ve heard some folks have had luck with recapping their reset boards when they start to get wacky, but YMMV.

As long as you’re around to reset the machine in case it locks up, you can probably keep it unplugged - mine stays unplugged.

#4 4 years ago

These boards often need new electrolytic capacitors and a reflowing of solder joints.

#5 4 years ago

^^^What Ken said^^^
    Especially since the electrolytic caps on these boards are used in timing circuits, it doesn't take much of a change in capacitance to affect the reset timing. As these caps age, capacitance goes down; as capacitance goes down, the watch-dog timeout delays shorten; as the timeout delays shorten, the more often resets occur.

For a machine only on for short periods and while people are around, the reset board is not needed.
    The one thing that these did add for reliability was a 3K pullup resistor to the Read/Write signal from the CPU. This pullup resistor was located on the DIP plug between pins 7 and 11. Most machines functioned properly without this added pullup resistor (and without the entire reset module as well), some machines refuse to operate properly without this pullup resistor.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks all. Seems like when these were in stock they were only $25-$35. For that, I’d like to just replace it and be done, but since they seem hard to find I guess unplugging is the route to go for now.

Oh well, I had an hour of error free Raven and set my all time second top score tonight. Such an under appreciated game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-finding-reset-board-for-gottlieb-system-80b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.