(Topic ID: 143250)

Help extracting chip pin leg broken off below flush in socket?

By alimerick

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by alimerick
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63737-i.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi,
Have a refurbished sound board to use in a Gorgar. Removing sound rom #3 to place sound rom #2. One of the tips of the legs on the chip broke off below flush in the socket. Have moved and placed lots of chips over the years with no problems but guess this one was just to old. All help/ tips removing this pin piece is appreciated. I am old and can not see that well but even with magnifying glass and bright light I do not have a pair of tweezers small enough. Any recommendations for tools or a way to get this out without destruction appreciated.
Thank You
Andy

#2 8 years ago

You will probably just have to remove the old socket and replace it with a new one. If it is the old scanbe socket, it should be done anyway.

#3 8 years ago

Thank You
Not a scanbe socket regular socket.

#4 8 years ago

i think anything you use to extract the pin will damage the socket, and make things worse. you may be able to sneak a new chip in with the old pin still in there. i would try that , then replace the socket if thats a no go

#5 8 years ago

Your only hope to saving the socket is prying off the housing CAREFULLY . Remove the busted leg piece and put the socket frame back on. If it is a RN labeled socket, you should be able to get the housing off without disturbing the pins.

Likely to encounter problems trying this, but worth a shot since your socket is damaged already.

#6 8 years ago

Be careful!

63737-i.jpg63737-i.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Put a credit card down on the playfield before you start prying your way around the socket frame - you don't want to f up the circuit board.

If the socket contacts are white or grey, they are shot anyway.

#8 8 years ago

Thank You

#9 8 years ago

Is a strong magnet out of the question?

Maybe worth a try.

#10 8 years ago

try a small needle either side of pin worked for me when a pin broke on mine

#11 8 years ago

If you can catch a little of the pin you can use a razor knife to pry the leg out. It works, done it many many times.
I wouldnt pull the socket housing off and try to reinstall it. That socket will never be reliable again.

#12 8 years ago

not sure why no ones just turned the board upside down and used a pin or similar to open that hole of the socket so the leg falls out?

#13 8 years ago

Thank you all for helping. I will try to look at this over the weekend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-extracting-chip-pin-leg-broken-off-below-flush-in-socket and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.