(Topic ID: 318438)

Help drilling out a backbox lock (early SS)

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

health-and-safety-code-12085-making-possessing-or-transporting-explosives (1) (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DRill (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hi folks,

Need help getting into a backbox. I lost the key to my Flash Gordon backbox and have been trying to drill out the lock. So far, it's pretty well bored through (see pic), but the cylinder won't turn with any appropriate-diameter tool I attempt to turn it with.

Of course, I don't think I can just destroy it completely, because I still need the cylinder to turn to move the lock mechanism on the backglass hold bar.

Appreciate any advice. I need to move the game pretty soon and will be in trouble if I can't remove the head.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2 1 year ago

Try a larger drill bit. You probably haven't gotten everything that is holding the cylinder in place.

#3 1 year ago

It only has to turn about 10 or 20 degrees clockwise to unlock the glass. If you're not there yet I would go to a bigger diameter drill, and keep upsizing until you wipe out enough of the cylinder pins.

#4 1 year ago

Bosch Daredevil bits drill locks out very quickly, they look like a masonry bit but drill wood and metal. Just use a 3/8" bit now on that lock.

#5 1 year ago

Keep stepping up your drill bits, something is still holding it together internally.

#6 1 year ago

just keep increasing the drill size untill the lock gives way..

#7 1 year ago

I've drilled out quite a few in my time in this "hobby" and by far this is the easiest way to accomplish it.
The set may be a bit pricey for some but it's well worth it.
Not positive but I think the set is around $65 at Lowe's.

DRill (resized).jpgDRill (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

I've drilled out quite a few in my time in this "hobby" and by far this is the easiest way to accomplish it.
The set may be a bit pricey for some but it's well worth it.
Not positive but I think the set is around $65 at Lowe's.
[quoted image]

Depending on how much you'll use it, harbor freight has a similar set for around $20 IIRC.

PS Never tried step bits for something like this. Usually get through pretty quickly with decent quality bits.

#9 1 year ago

So as others have said, go bigger. And after that, I carry a large bladed screwdriver in my bag. I hammer that into the lock, and twist with a wrench. The lock just rips its guts out. On some locks, I start there, just need to not rip the wood.

And before that, I've had pretty good luck learning to pick them. They aren't exactly high security. So I'll give it a few minutes to try that first. Sometimes a simple rake attack will get it open fast.

#10 1 year ago

I bought this carbide tipped drill bit and it goes through locks in seconds. Until I bought this I would go through normal 1/4” drill bits quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OFVWZ4

#11 1 year ago

Thanks all. Went at it a while with a 1/2 inch bit and made some inroads, but still no turn at all and I'm getting worried I'm making it worse by bending the mech so it won't turn. The outer top of the ring is totally gone now (see pic). I will try the carbide-tipped bit tomorrow, maybe that will help bore through the metal more quickly.

Also wondering if there's any tool, like a long skinny crowbar, that could enter through the back vents and yank back the hold bar? LOL, just spitballing here, starting to worry about getting this thing broken down in time for a move. Can't get it out of the room it's in with the head on.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#12 1 year ago

I agree on a thicker stronger drill bit.

There aren't many other reasonable options for these really stubborn locks.

health-and-safety-code-12085-making-possessing-or-transporting-explosives (1) (resized).jpghealth-and-safety-code-12085-making-possessing-or-transporting-explosives (1) (resized).jpg
#13 1 year ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Thanks all. Went at it a while with a 1/2 inch bit and made some inroads, but still no turn at all and I'm getting worried I'm making it worse by bending the mech so it won't turn. The outer top of the ring is totally gone now (see pic). I will try the carbide-tipped bit tomorrow, maybe that will help bore through the metal more quickly.
Also wondering if there's any tool, like a long skinny crowbar, that could enter through the back vents and yank back the hold bar? LOL, just spitballing here, starting to worry about getting this thing broken down in time for a move. Can't get it out of the room it's in with the head on.[quoted image]

Well, there's nothing left to turn now. The cylinder and housing are completely gone on that one side.

It looks like you drilled all the way through the back of the cylinder too. Which means the lock cylinder probably isn't attached to the backglass latching mechanism any more.

I think you can stop drilling now.

Can you try lifting the backglass and see if it clears the lower channel now?

If not, you could probably pry the rest of the cylinder out of the housing with a large flat head screwdriver. That might give you enough access to possibly grab the hold bar and try to rotate it. Or, try to stick a flat head screwdriver in the square hole on the hold bar, and then try to rotate.

#14 1 year ago

I think your too far too the one side with the drill bit that's why it's still hanging on if it is ,I would try drilling over a bit where it's still hanging on if you can then it should come apart maybe hope it goes well

#15 1 year ago

The way to drill a backbox lock isn't to go big. Use an 1/8" bit or smaller to drill out only the tumblers. No drilling in the center of the lock. Most backbox locks have two sets of tumblers. Both need to be drilled. Drill, blow out shaving, try to turn with a big standard screwdriver in the slot. If it doesn't turn, keep drilling and blowing until it eventually does turn.

Important to have a sharp bit as it will be cutting different types of metals. You can do it with an older bit, but it will take considerably longer. Use the right (sharp) tool for the job. Doesn't have to be a moon rock bit (expensive), but should be new or newish.

#16 1 year ago

If you were drilling clockwise, there is a good chance you have already rotated the latch far enough to release the glass. Perhaps the glass is just stuck in the channel. Does the glass wiggle or is it tight?

#17 1 year ago

Unfortunately, the drilled hole is way off center to the right from the pic. Chuck up a 1/4" drill bit. As soon as it "bites", put pressure to the left. you need to knock out about 1/4" to the left of the pic, and then use a flat blade screwdriver to move the latch.

Worst case, PM me and I'll buy that game.

#18 1 year ago

Not that it helps with this case, but it's helpful in this hobby to learn the basics of lockpicking. It's faster and cleaner than drilling and has saved me many times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 179.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,995 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 99.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-drilling-out-a-backbox-lock-early-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.