By bingopodcast

5 months ago

Stats

• Started 5 months ago
  • 39 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by bingopodcast

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

Uploaded by BlackCatBone
Uploaded by electricsquirrel

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 5 months ago

If you could cherry-pick your favorite existing or new bingo features, what would make your ideal game?

Do you require a golden game?

Is OK your thing?

Do you want 25 holes in the classic layout or something different?

What if you could move a magic line 3 positions?

What if there were more Magic Number games (like Touchdown or Acapulco)?

If your screen could extend to position Z and beyond, what would you like in a challenge?

Do you like Pic-a-play, or think it is too limiting?

Personally, I would like Magic Squares that could move as on the bottom line of Sun Valley across the five rows (ending at the fourth column), then a Magic Line on column 5. I think that could provide some interesting potential wins. I would prefer a game that used Red Button only, with extra balls. A Ballyhole to award either a spotted number or first extra would be interesting, or a carryover to light A-F next game.

Think of your favorite carryover features. What would you like to see?

If you could combine the red letter feature with a lite-a-name feature, how would you envision that would work?

I think all this is possible and much more in the EM style. I aim to make a new game or set of games that will implement new features, to be incorporated into the Multi-Bingo.

I still have about 80 games left to implement, but am planning ahead to see if I need to expand my framework. No idea too outlandish to be considered!

What if... you could make a new one-ball game that had a selection and feature hole picked at random?

Just some ideas. More to come! I'll post here and in the multi-bingo thread when I start implementing.

#2 5 months ago

Posting to stay up-to-date on this thread.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

Golden game
    OK
    Magic Number
    Pic-a-play,
    Magic Line
    Red Button only

If I knew what half of those things were, I might form an opinion about them. Best of luck with your new binger muh'sheen! Really impressed with your work

#3 5 months ago

Haha... the subject line grabbed me too, but I don't know what most of those things are either!

I'd be down for one with some badass Marvel characters, like Punisher, shooting a bunch of dudes and fighting back the crime anals!

#4 5 months ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

I don't know what most of those things are either

... well, off to record another 400 episodes, I guess.

In all seriousness, besides theme - how would you love to move a number around? Do you like the idea of fixed numbers?

Aside from the typical risk/reward aspect, some of what makes a bingo exciting is the movement of the numbers, and the dozens and dozens of ways that a 25 number card can be reconfigured to make new winners.

You can win on your first ball with a game like Bounty, or you can win one of several ways with 'ladder' games on the 20 holers.

#5 5 months ago

I agree that player control opportunities for moving numbers is interesting. Fixed numbers might be more fun on an older style bagatelle game, but I have a hard time nailing shots on a 'newer' style bingo like the multibingo. Maybe i'm just awful though.

I haven't listened to ALL 400 EPISODES to be honest. And it's hard for me to grasp what you're talking about without seeing it. When I do listen, it's because I like hearing your enthusiasm for the subject.

Not super into winning on your first ball, but maybe there is one hole that is an instant winner. With a star on it or something. And do you have to use numbers? Why not animals or fruits or colored dots or colored vehicles? Thinking of my kids I guess.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

If I knew what half of those things were, I might form an opinion about them. Best of luck with your new binger muh'sheen! Really impressed with your work

This might sound stupid, but how about a tutorial mode?

Eric.

#7 5 months ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

I haven't listened to

Just seeing if you're paying attention, Don.

Quoted from callmesteam:

And do you have to use numbers? Why not animals or fruits or colored dots or colored vehicles? Thinking of my kids I guess.

There was actually a game called 'Safari' that Bally produced that had a secondary game (solid state) that allowed you to 'earn' animals. Depending on the animals earned, you would earn replays. Yes, an animal mode is quite possible!

Quoted from electricsquirrel:

This might sound stupid, but how about a tutorial mode?

Not stupid at all - actually that might be pretty helpful! If it could show you the various areas in which you could win (thinking of a magic screen game), that might be pretty neat.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Posting to stay up-to-date on this thread.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far.

Ryan, here's a little description of the things you asked about:

1) Golden Game: on Golden Gate and Silver Sails only - the game provides a purple section - if you sink enough balls in there, it will reveal an entirely separate screen that is golden, gold with stripes, etc. Sink enough balls in there and win the five in a row green odds. It's like a game within a game within a game.

2) OK: this is the orange section that is available on some magic screen games, or the star zone winners on mystic lines games. It gives a brand new game (for no $) that racks up to a guaranteed set of odds and features based on the lit letter in Red in the title.

3) Magic Number: These are similar to the Magic Squares, in that they rotate in a circle, but there are six numbers hooked on a chain and they rotate around. Kinda similar to the United Roto feature on the Caravan (but more than one of them).

4) Pic-a-play: colored buttons on the front of the cabinet. Allows you a slightly better chance at earning odds or features steps than playing the red button only (all advantages)

5) Magic Line: you've seen these on Gay Time - it allows for a column of numbers to move up or down one position. You've also seen these on Miss America '57 - in those games, it allows for one movement left or right (on the row).

#8 5 months ago

Another Note: a standard Bally 25 hole playfield has 26 holes, actually (including the ball return), and can go from A-Z quite easily because of this... perhaps a Crosswords style spell-a-word game?

#9 5 months ago

tutorial mode

That's brilliant. You could even call up a video ON THE BACKGLASS SCREEN of you running through a tutorial ON THE MULTIBINGO! ...can you do that?

animal mode

Hecks yes.

...or...

tutorial mode

in

animal mode

(Nick dressed in a provocative cat costume explaining how to play bingo.)

#10 5 months ago

Meeeeow. (yikes)

#11 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

That's brilliant. You could even call up a video ON THE BACKGLASS SCREEN of you running through a tutorial ON THE MULTIBINGO! ...can you do that?

Yes - I can! I can play video, I can show still images I can also blink and flash and highlight the numbers or holes you need to hit.

#12 5 months ago

Meeeeow. (yikes)

furry (resized).jpg

#13 5 months ago

Furry.jpg

Not...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...provocative...

...enough.

#14 5 months ago

Another Note: a standard Bally 25 hole playfield has 26 holes, actually (including the ball return), and can go from A-Z quite easily because of this... perhaps a Crosswords style spell-a-word game?

Really like this idea!

#15 5 months ago

I like the Hold Odds or Evens feature on my Palm Springs. That's a great feature only seen on a couple Bingos.

If combined with some other premium "hot" feature could be interesting ...

#16 5 months ago

Ooh, good idea! That's a feature that definitely deserves a comeback.

#17 5 months ago

How about having the odds advance a step anytime you drain and "bring a ball home" to be reshot ?

#18 5 months ago

I like that, too - Williams was the only one to have a ball return feature. Advancing odds may end up being a bit generous (but worth trying out), but making essentially a third 'rollover' that does something like advance the screen feature (like on Ballerina) or spot a number (not the center number), or give you a select-a-spot for one ball, or something like that... I can see some possibility there!

2 weeks later
    #19 5 months ago

In the spirit of making things up, here is an advantage I call “Skill-Spot.” I’ve imagined it as a rollover near the top of the playfield. My crude graphic shows it just beneath the top center post. (All posts in this graphic have been removed from the playfield, but you can see the post screw holes.) Hitting the rollover when it’s lit would spot the number shown to the right of the rollover. The juice of this feature is that the displayed spot number would periodically change. Think of it like a magic numbers section below the playfield and automatically rotating every three seconds. You wouldn’t have any control over the displayed spot number, you’d just have to wait for your number to come up, and then hit the rollover. The fast cycle interval means you would have to shoot before your number cycled into view. That’s a real skill shot. I see the feature remaining lit until the user hits the rollover. One thing I like about the feature is that you wouldn’t want to hit the rollover early in the game - you’d ideally like to hit it on the last ball, when you know what number(s) will give you a winner. I’d use a flipper game-sized rollover rather than the big rollover button used for the yellow and red rollovers - the shot is doable and I wouldn’t want it to be too easy. I’d think about making the spot numbers the same as Beach Club - 19, 20, 21, 22, 16, 25, 10. 16 would definitely need to be in the mix.

Skill-Spot 2 (resized).png

#20 5 months ago

Wow, that's a great idea! I would have to modify a playfield, but I could add a little screen under a clear insert or piece of plexi that would randomly show the number...

That area under the playfield would make it possible - there's nothing in the way of shutter mechs getting in the way.

#21 5 months ago

In the spirit of keeping things electro-mechanical(y), would it be possible to use a score drum or a credit drum to display the number underneath? If not, digital display works, too, but this is a cool idea.

P.S. If you didn't want to put a display in the PF itself, I can envision a changing number on the digital backglass. I admit, a changing number near the button would be ideal. Just trying to think of potential work-arounds if needed.

#22 5 months ago

Using the back glass would be very easy. Using a drum unit would be difficult due to space constraints. A small late model drum might work, though.

#23 5 months ago

After thinking about it more, I agree that a magic numbers-type unit beneath the playfield would be cumbersome, and then there is the issue of the playfield thickness. I also thought of putting the numbers on the backglass and having them cycle by lighting them in sequence, but then the player's attention would be split between the backglass and playfield in a rather awkward way, especially for a timed shot. Here are several variations on the original idea:

1. Reduce the number of spot numbers to five and have each number displayed at the tip of a star point. The numbers would light in sequence. I see this as a playfield plastic inset for each number with a lightbulb behind the inset. I'd like to see 16 be one of the numbers.

2. Go with more than five numbers and forget arranging them at the star points. Make a horizontal row of playfield number insets below the rollover. They would light sequentially.

3. Forget the star entirely and just have a circular array of numbers around the rollover that light sequentially. The star is so iconic for bingo players that I'd try to use it, but would easily give it up if something worked better. (Maybe a gold star?)

I like concentrating all the visuals in the playfield.

1 week later
    #24 4 months ago

How about a modification to the twin numbers feature? I call it 'mystery twin numbers'. This feature would be a feature award with an associated 'reverse time tree'. When awarded, the player would see that they have this feature, but not which numbers are the twin numbers. The twin numbers would be revealed based on the 'reverse time tree' -- the default is 'After 5th ball potted', but feature awards could improve it to 'After 5th ball shot', 'After 4th ball potted', 'After 4th ball shot', 'After 3rd ball potted'. The difference between 'potted' and 'shot' is when the ball lands in a numbered hole vs. pass through the gate.

I can imagine the relief when you have this feature lit with 'After 5th ball potted', pot the 5th ball, and see that you suddenly have a winner because of the twin numbers that were revealed. Or the disappointment that you landed next door to an angel.

I can imagine the skill needed if you have this feature lit with 'After Nth ball shot'; after the ball passes the gate onto the playfield, the player needs to look up, see which are the twin numbers, and then adjust strategy in real-time. A partner would be helpful here, calling out the numbers.

I can imagine the frustration of getting the feature lit with 'After 3rd ball potted', only to find that 2 of the 3 potted numbers are the twin numbers -- essentially losing the feature!

Only certain twin number pairs should be possible so as to eliminate, or at least make it very rare, that both appear in-line or the same scoring section. For example, if twin numbers were added to a magic screen game with a blue section, no two blue numbers should be paired.

#25 4 months ago

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Really like this idea!

Me too. Bally actually did something like this.
    https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/crosswords/

I played this machine at Phil Hooper's home 15-20 years ago.

#26 4 months ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

haven't listened to ALL 400 EPISODES to be honest. And it's hard for me to grasp what you're talking about without seeing it. When I do listen, it's because I like hearing your enthusiasm for the subject.

I am the same way! I pop on the EM and Bingo PC when I'm riding by myself between jobs/work/home. I don't understand bingos to much, have never played or even seen one in real life but Nick has a way of making me want to know more about them.

#27 4 months ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

How about having the odds advance a step anytime you drain and "bring a ball home" to be reshot ?

I like this idea a lot, but it probably is too generous to the player - it's pretty likely you're going to get at least one returned ball. Taking off on the original idea, how about having it work on an cumulative basis, like this:

1. The third returned ball would cause a playfield plastic above the ball return hole to lite. It would say "Next Return Advances Odds" or just "Advance Odds". Thereafter, a returned ball would jump the odds one step on one of the color lines chosen at random. Maybe three isn't the right number and maybe you have a plug in the head for "L M C" settings that influences how many returned balls it takes to light the "Advance Odds" feature.

-or-

2. Do something crazy in the backglass like having an advantage that is "7 Returned Balls Advances All Odds To 600." Or pick some other number of returned balls.

#28 4 months ago

Maybe it's the IPA talking, but right now this sounds like a good idea. Good for me equals tension during gameplay. How about having a feature called "Ball In All Rows Scores Green 5-L." This would be a little different than the normal bingo backglass scoring because the rows in question would be on the playfield. So you would make a winner by landing one ball in the 1st playfield row (1 - 7), another in the 2nd playfield row (8 - 13), and so on through the 5th row. The feature could apply to the first 5 balls only or it could (and I think probably should) remain active through all extra balls.

You could juice it a little by having a time tree kind of display where a ball in each row would score 3-L, 4-L, or 5-L. The 3-L would be pretty easy to light because making this advantage wouldn't be all that easy. Additional coin drops might advance the "all rows" odds to 4-L and then 5-L.

It's also possible that the ball in each row would apply to the card on the backglass and not the rows on the physical playfield, but I think it's more intuitive to use the playfield rows. (And different from anything Bally did, too.)

#29 4 months ago

Are there games with bonuses based not on 'bingos' but on collecting high or low numbers? Like 5 out of 1-8, or 5 out of 15-20 or whatever. Different ways to earn bonuses. Odds or Evens was mentioned. What about 3's? 3, 13, 23

I DUNNO JUST LOOKING FOR DEPTH. Not that bingo needs depth. sheeeesh

#30 4 months ago

Guys, these ideas are fantastic! Keep 'em coming.

BlackCatBone - some of the solid state bingos have in-line on the playfield wins, but I really like the idea of time tree. Especially if I were to add this feature to a moving numbers game - perhaps if you move the number, you lose your advantage on the in-line playfield win?

Similar to the Select-a-feature on the United games - you tend to have a hard decision to make around ball 3 or 4.

Robert, I've never played a Crosswords, but I really would like to one day. The playfield layout is dissimilar enough that I feel like I couldn't accurately emulate it without a real playfield. I can do something similar, though, and probably will. (My family has a tradition of Scrabble - this will strike a chord with my whole family).

Don, yes, sort of! The hybrid solid state games from the 60s have these separately coined side games called 'tower games' that allow for different kinds of wins. I'd love to add something like that to a 25 hole game. Each of the tower games were only on the 20 holers.

#31 4 months ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

Are there games with bonuses based not on 'bingos' but on collecting high or low numbers? Like 5 out of 1-8, or 5 out of 15-20 or whatever. Different ways to earn bonuses. Odds or Evens was mentioned. What about 3's? 3, 13, 23
    I DUNNO JUST LOOKING FOR DEPTH. Not that bingo needs depth. sheeeesh

Neat idea. Along the same line, how about an advantage of "5 Even Numbers Scores Yellow 5-L." (I get tired of using green odds.) Meaning all 5 numbers would have to be even to have a winner. Or you could make it odd numbers, or have both even and odd as individual advantages.

Assuming all numbers are equally likely to be hit, the chance of making a winner is low. I suppose this advantage would be limited to the 1st 5 balls, but maybe extra balls count as well?

#32 4 months ago
    Quoted from robertmedl:

Me too. Bally actually did something like this.
    https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/crosswords/

Holy poo, that's neat! Forget trying to spell words with "U" but what an amazing idea. ...and with the multibingo I'll bet programming several different crossword puzzle backglasses would be a cinch! Then you wouldn't be shooting for the same combos all the time.

#33 4 months ago

You're right! Now, unfortunately Crosswords is a rare game. It wouldn't feel right to take a playfield for use in the Multi and it has a unique layout....

I have thoughts about how to handle this and a couple of other interesting layouts, but need to put out a couple feelers.

#34 4 months ago

Here's a game that could run parallel to the main game, where the player must pot 1 of 5 random numbers, then 1 of 4, then 1 of 3, then 1 of 2, then 1 of 1.

Imagine that these 15 numbers are displayed in an inverted pyramid on the backglass (like bowling pins with an additional row), so the player can see and plan his path through the pyramid.

The pyramid of numbers could also be widened, perhaps. Maybe up to 10 additional numbers could be awarded and added to the pyramid, and they might appear at any level while still maintaining a pyramid shape. Meaning that as additional numbers were added to the pyramid, the pyramid would be constrained to 7/6/5/4/3 numbers for the top through bottom row. For example, say the player were awarded two additional numbers and they both happened to be awarded in the bottom row. At this point, the player would need to pot 1 of 5 numbers, 1 of 4, 1 of 3, 1 of 2, and then 1 of 3. If he went for additional numbers, any that are awarded could not also be added to the bottom row of the pyramid, as it is already "full".

The award should be substantial if the player manages to complete this game. It could be played as an all-or-nothing game where you have to complete the pyramid, or you could allow the user to stop and cash out after making the first three or four levels of the pyramid. (I like the all-or-nothing idea for this one.)

#35 4 months ago

I feel like Robert's been thinking about this stuff for a while.

(COOL pyramid side-game idea!!! I think Nick might have a co-pilot on this new bingo venture.)

#36 4 months ago

I have thoughts about how to handle this and a couple of other interesting layouts, but need to put out a couple feelers.

Create and build your own non-traditional 25-hole and 20-hole layouts? Now that opens up all kinds of possibilities!

#37 4 months ago

I love Robert's idea of an inverted pyramid. Tension city. Love the idea of (possibly) awarding extra numbers to pyramid lines with additional coin drops.

#38 4 months ago
    Quoted from BlackCatBone:

(I get tired of using green odds.)

There was at least one game, Touchdown, that tied a feature game award to red, not green, odds. Touchdown had a feature that, when lit, "4 star numbers awarded Red 5-in-line".

https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/touchdown/

#39 4 months ago

I like the pyramid idea as well Robert - Sirmo had tried something similar on at least one of their games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 179.99
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 32.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 110.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.