Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WW-scratch-before-after.jpg
IMG_6523.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I'm hoping against hope that these scratches didn't reach the paint. The longest part of the scratch is about 1", on a CPR playfield. The whole story is on my WW restoration thread, but basically the display panel fell onto the playfield and the sharp metal corner carved this scratch. No drinking was involved; I was just overly hasty to test my 20 hours of work on the lamps and switches.

IMG_6523.JPGIMG_6523.JPG

#2 9 years ago

My first instinct would be to go the Novus 3-2-1 route, but I suspect that's the wrong thing to do here. I'd love to hear from the CC experts.

#3 9 years ago

Put some Naptha on the area and if the scratches disappear then you haven't gone through the clear.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Put some Naptha on the area and if the scratches disappear then you haven't gone through the clear.

The scratches disappeared when I put 91% alcohol over them. I'll sleep better tonight!

#5 9 years ago

If you run your fingernail over the scratch, can you feel the damage? Here is what you can do to see if the scratch is only in the clear coat. Take a soft cloth and wet it with some water. Wipe the wet cloth over the scratch. If the damage disappears then the scratch is only in the clear. If this is the case then you can wet sand the scratch out with some 1500/2000 grit wet sand paper. Go slow with light pressure and wipe off the area to check your progress. Be careful you don't go through the clear and into the base colors. Once the scratch is gone, polish with some light rubbing compound. This will bring back the shine.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone! Once I work up the courage, I'll wet sand with 2000 grit and go from there. I just went through this on my wife's headlight covers, so I kinda have the feel for it. I'll go slow...

1 month later
#7 9 years ago

Fixed! I liked the 3M repair system so well, I'm going to write a short review later.

WW-scratch-before-after.jpgWW-scratch-before-after.jpg
#8 9 years ago

Wow, that came out nice! What 3M kit was this?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm going to write a short review later.

Looks great. Looking forward to your review.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Wow, that came out nice! What 3M kit was this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NS5NK8

#11 9 years ago

Amazing repair. You should turn the frown upside down in the title after that outcome

#12 9 years ago

what scratch you talking bout, Willis?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-deep-scratches-in-new-clearcoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.