New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 257184)

Help converting MPU-200 for a MPU-100 game - Nugent

By action76

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Nugent Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mpu200_jumpers (resized).JPG

#1 10 months ago

I am trying use a MPU-200 board in my Nugent machine that has a bad MPU-100. I would like to use the roms from the original board and re-jumper the MPU-200 to use them. The question is what type of chips are the original Nugent masked ROMs? I assume they are 9316's but if that is the case, there is only two, (a black one in U2 and a white one in U6), and the chart below I got from pinwiki, does not cover that situation. Do I use the 2716 two ROM configuration or something else? If anyone could shed some light on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

mpu200_jumpers (resized).JPG
#2 10 months ago

assuming they are 9316 PROMs you want the 2nd line and only put the chips at u2 and u6. Double check they are actually 9316 before you start changing jumpers.

also need change the clock speed to jumpers and remove u13 ram.

#3 10 months ago

I would also make super sure that the MPU-200 board is working before you start changing jumpers. It may save you some time down the road.

#4 10 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

assuming they are 9316 PROMs

How can you tell what it is? The ones I have do not have the chip type numbers on it only has the stern 25A-P8-U6 game numbers on it.

#5 10 months ago

If there is no window on it and it's just a black chip with the game numbers, it's a 9316.

You can avoid changing jumpers if you have an eprom burner, u2 from nugent would go into u1 on the mpu200, u6 from nugent would go into u5 on the mpu200, and you'd put a copy of u6 into u6. That's if your mpu200 is currently set up for 4x2716. If it's set for 2x2732, you'd burn nugent u1 for u2, and double up u6 to burn into a 2732 for u6.

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

If there is no window on it and it's just a black chip with the game numbers, it's a 9316.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought that was the case but was not positive.

#7 10 months ago

I haven't done what you're doing but I'm pretty sure you will need to remove the 5101 RAM chip at U13 since Nugent software will expect it not to be there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 149.00
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside