(Topic ID: 30815)

Help Converting 2 Prong Power Cord to 3 Prong Cord (No Colors on 2 Wires)

By charles4400

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pin-it
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cord2.jpg
    cord.jpg
    Img_3262222.jpg
    IMG_3262.JPG
    Img_3267.jpg
    Img_3268.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-it.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

The only thing throwing me off now is that I see a blue wire coming from the bottom left and a brown one coming from the bottom right. I thought blue was neutral and brown was hot?
    Or do those bottom wires have nothing to do with the top ones?

Just for removing doubts about what they do.
    Stab a meter probe in one of those wire caps and the other probe to the ground, set to volts test repeat for other cap to compare.
    Result?

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

The only thing throwing me off now is that I see a blue wire coming from the bottom left and a brown one coming from the bottom right. I thought blue was neutral and brown was hot?
    Or do those bottom wires have nothing to do with the top ones?

What I was saying before was that if you had power( before you cut the plug off) and you test probed the blue wire to ground then the brown wire to ground you would see which one had the feed (hot) & return (neutral) because it sounded like you wanted to know which was hot and which was neutral after that emi box.

I believe that the new cord has to be installed the same as the previous old one hot to left and neutral to the right as seen on the photo you posted.

Another good safety feature to use is a GFCI outlet.(protects against shocks)

One other thing on hot & neutral in relation to a 3 prong receptacle or plug is looking at it head on it looks like a smiley face.
    The small vertical slot(r/s) is hot (feed)the longer vertical slot(l/s) is the neutral (return)plus if you look at the screw terminals (on most receptacles or plugs) you would usually see a gold colored screw (hot )and a silver colored screw (neutral).
    Its just standard for wiring.(safety reasons)

Like LTG said its a good idea to check your wiring anyway.

Quoted from LTG:

Get an outlet checker. Handy for checking wall outlets to see if hot/common/ground are wired right and working.
    And you can plug into the service outlet on your game and that will tell you if your game is wired right.
    LTG : )

Quoted from charles4400:

I have many pins but I still have alot to learn about electricity (obviously!) .

Here you go.
    More info>>http://bellevuecollege.edu/distance/cs110rh/it217/week02/21_electricity.htm
    Good luck.

1 week later
    #26 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Does anyone have a source for these 3 prong extension cords in bulk? I'm hoping to change out all the cords on my EMs and SSs to 15 foot long grounded cords and I would need about 50 of them. I keep hearing the dollar store has cords but I've only ever found two prong.
    Thanks,
    Art.

If you dont mind orange indoor /outdoor extension cords Walmart 100 foot $16.77 ea. Ge 3 prong plugs W-m $1.97 ea. cut to 15 feet long (only 6.66 cords from 15`)=$2.51 ea + $1.97= *$4.48 ea. all w/o tax of course Math it out for the total cost
    At 10 feet is a better deal $1.67 ea +$1.97=$3.64 ea
    Not to shabby

You can also buy cord in bulk at the box stores too just need the plugs.

*Update: A can of black spray paint W/M brand painting the orange jacket will work (around $1)

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

I don't think you will find any UL listed 3 prong extension cord available in the US that is not a large enough gauge to safely run a pinball machine. The bigger pain is finding ones that are not bright orange.

I agree but I can do 10 /10 foot long cords w/ends for under $38

Quoted from mg81:

The bigger pain is finding ones that are not bright orange.

Black rattle can

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-it.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-converting-2-prong-power-cord-to-3-prong-cord-no-colors-on-2-wires?tu=pin-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.