(Topic ID: 30815)

Help Converting 2 Prong Power Cord to 3 Prong Cord (No Colors on 2 Wires)

By charles4400

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pin-it
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cord2.jpg
    cord.jpg
    Img_3262222.jpg
    IMG_3262.JPG
    Img_3267.jpg
    Img_3268.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charles4400.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So I decided to finally convert all those 2 prong cords to 3 prong to properly ground some older machines which have had the ground cord cut off or just not wired in. (tired of feeling the 'buzz' on the siderails when not wearing shoes and figured it would help on some minor issues with static sounds in speakers etc.)

I am using this receptacle from home depot which makes life easier as the wire receptacles are labled 'black', 'white' and of course green for the 'ground' which should correspond to the wire sleeves in the power cord.:

Img_3268.jpgImg_3268.jpg

BUT what happens when the wire sleeves are not color coded (only the ground was color coded green)? There is at least writing on one of the wires and the other just black. In the pic you can't see the writing (bad shot) but it is on the other side of the left wire:

Img_3267.jpgImg_3267.jpg

Here is a pic of the inside of the cab where the power cord connects to. The wire with the writng is connected on the far left and the solid black wire is on the far right with ground in the middle:

IMG_3262.JPGIMG_3262.JPG

So which wire is the one with writing on it considered...black or white?

And what would happen if I accidently wired it incorrectly (i.e. switched the 'black' and 'white' wires)and plugged it in?

#8 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies and clarification!

I did not even realize the textured and smooth side of the wires untill all of you pointed that out!

Ok so will get another cord and just to make sure I connect it correctly to the terminals in the cab could you all confirm that the orignal cord was wired correctly and that this is what I am going to do (black/hot/smooth wire on the LEFT terminal?):

Img_3262222.jpgImg_3262222.jpg

The only thing throwing me off now is that I see a blue wire coming from the bottom left and a brown one coming from the bottom right. I thought blue was neutral and brown was hot?
    Or do those bottom wires have nothing to do with the top ones?

#10 11 years ago

Ok will test when I get back home... Will the test work since it is unplugged?

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Get an outlet checker. Handy for checking wall outlets to see if hot/common/ground are wired right and working.
    And you can plug into the service outlet on your game and that will tell you if your game is wired right.
    LTG : )

Great tool for future use thanks!

Well for now, since I don't have an outlet checker I am just going to assume that the cord wiring was properly installed since it was working fine before I decided to add a ground to it.

I now understand the smooth and textured wire coding instead of color coding of the old power cord. The blue and brown wires in the cab just threw me off but for now I will just replace the cord following the existing wiring.

Since it was working fine before, I assume that I don't have to worry about it catching fire or other catastrophe on it just by adding ground right?

Thanks for all the help, I have many pins but I still have alot to learn about electricity (obviously!) .

#17 11 years ago

Thanks Pin-It, very helpful article!

Yes to do it right I should of tested before cutting the cord lol! But glad I learned from this thread, thanks appreciate all the input everyone, I am sure to put this to good use in the future!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charles4400.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-converting-2-prong-power-cord-to-3-prong-cord-no-colors-on-2-wires?tu=charles4400 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.