(Topic ID: 180604)

Help cleaning an apron

By Wickedbass

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vegi (resized).jpg
    IMG_4676 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4674 (resized).JPG
    20140516_202855 (resized).jpg
    20170207_213509 (resized).jpg
    canon020217 005 (resized).JPG
    vollapron (resized).jpg
    20170206_193619 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

What's the best way clean this? Light cleaning doesn't help much, to much pressure takes paint off.
    I really want those stickers off, should I paint over them?
    It's in nice shape overall.

Can anyone share their apron restorations?

Thanks.

20170206_193619 (resized).jpg20170206_193619 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Have you tried Goo Gone or other sticker remover?

#4 7 years ago

alcohol or naphtha can help if goo gone doesn't. But those work better on stickers that are still gooey, rather than all dried out.

#5 7 years ago

Yes thanks, used goo gone naphtha alcohol ect...

I really don't want to go the decal route

I'll keep at it, see what happens.

#6 7 years ago

Man......... No matter what I used it took paint off be careful. Just wax will take some paint off

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from mrbanjo:

Man......... No matter what I used it took paint off be careful. Just wax will take some paint off

Me too. The paint on aprons is VERY delicate... then most have webbing too..

#8 7 years ago

Surprisingly the most effective removal product I have used is WD40. Spray on to offending sticker allow to soak & wipe away carefully & deliberately with rag. I have not had issues with removal of printed areas but always super careful in those areas.
    This is my most recent example on a GTB Volley. A previous owner had clearly removed some of a sticker but the remaining residue was hard & fast. WD40 as always did the trick & the result is barely noticeable. In this case the sticker had however discoloured part of the red line which I corrected by touchup.

vollapron (resized).jpgvollapron (resized).jpg

canon020217 005 (resized).JPGcanon020217 005 (resized).JPG

and many other uses: http://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40/

#9 7 years ago

I used goo gone. Squirt on area and let it soak in. Just keep soaking it. It will take you time but you'll get it. As everyone else everyone noted, be careful about the paint

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Surprisingly the most effective removal product I have used is WD40. Spray on to offending sticker allow to soak & wipe away carefully & deliberately with rag. I have not had issues with removal of printed areas but always super careful in those areas.
    This is my most recent example on a GTB Volley. A previous owner had clearly removed some of a sticker but the remaining residue was hard & fast. WD40 as always did the trick & the result is barely noticeable. In this case the sticker had however discoloured part of the red line which I corrected by touchup.

and many other uses: http://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40/

Agree with WD-40! Nice job
    J

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

That looks great, nice work thanks for sharing

#12 7 years ago

Happy to report that with a lot of elbow grease, some swearing, wd-40 seemed to do the trick. Not perfect, but prefer a decent original over a repro sticker.

20170207_213509 (resized).jpg20170207_213509 (resized).jpg

Thanks, 2001 is coming along.

#13 7 years ago

Now I need to find some instructions cards to print.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedbass:

Happy to report that with a lot of elbow grease, some swearing, wd-40 seemed to do the trick. Not perfect, but prefer a decent original over a repro sticker.

VERY NICE!
    I would have bet $$ that it was gonner - congrats

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedbass:

Your apron came up really nice congrats.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedbass:

It looks like the webbing was largely unaffected. Is that correct?

Nice work!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

It looks like the webbing was largely unaffected. Is that correct?
    Nice work!

the webbing is easily removed. i wax around any decals before trying to remove them. this tends to help limit the damage to art/webbing but it looks like the one posted still has the webbing so great job on that!
    some of those water slide type decals the ops put on the apron will NOT come off. i even sand blasted one apron and the decal was the hardest part to blast. those stan harris decals are bullet proof. nothing i threw at it would even put a dent in it.

20140516_202855 (resized).jpg20140516_202855 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #18 7 years ago

Thanks for the WD40 recommendation, Wayne.

I have a Pop A Card instruction card holder that had the hard crusty leftovers of an operator sticker that nothing was cutting.

I tried the WD40 but it was not loosening the leftover sticker. It was not affecting the art or webbing so that was good.

So I broke out a dental scraper and started scraping using the WD40 as lubricant. It worked out great and the art was hardly affected.

And the art was very durable even with the scraper.

Here are before and after pictures. Another one saved.

IMG_4674 (resized).JPGIMG_4674 (resized).JPG

IMG_4676 (resized).JPGIMG_4676 (resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago

Peanut butter takes sticker residue off and will leave everything else in good shape.

#20 7 years ago

Eucalyptus oil is good for sticker residue also.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shastings:

Eucalyptus oil is good for sticker residue also.

And leaves your hands soft as a baby's behind.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Peanut butter takes sticker residue off and will leave everything else in good shape.

When you posted this solution a while back I bought a jar of peanut butter but I had no success on removing stickers/residue so went back to WD40. That's a reminder I must transfer the peanut butter to the pantry.

Quoted from MikeO:

Thanks for the WD40 recommendation, Wayne.
    I have a Pop A Card instruction card holder that had the hard crusty leftovers of an operator sticker that nothing was cutting.
    I tried the WD40 but it was not loosening the leftover sticker. It was not affecting the art or webbing so that was good.
    So I broke out a dental scraper and started scraping using the WD40 as lubricant. It worked out great and the art was hardly affected.
    And the art was very durable even with the scraper.
    Here are before and after pictures. Another one saved.

I find the WD40 normally needs a few applications at each stage using a rag to rub & progressively loosen the adhesive. Your apron came up really nice.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

When you posted this solution a while back I bought a jar of peanut butter but I had no success on removing stickers/residue so went back to WD40. That's a reminder I must transfer the peanut butter to the pantry.

I find the WD40 normally needs a few applications at each stage using a rag to rub & progressively loosen the adhesive. Your apron came up really nice.

What about Vegemite?
    vegi (resized).jpgvegi (resized).jpg

Tried some of that when I was down your way a couple of years ago. Nasty tasting stuff, an acquired taste for sure.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I've never had it not work. You have to give it some time and effort but it will come off.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

What about Vegemite?

Tried some of that when I was down your way a couple of years ago. Nasty tasting stuff, an acquired taste for sure.

being another aussie, that stuff would eat a hole through the metal

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-cleaning-an-apron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.