(Topic ID: 287487)

Help choosing a Pinball Title

By C0nstantyne

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Help choosing a Pinball Title”

• Monster Bash Limited Edition 9 votes
      30%
    • Willy Wonka Collector's Edition 14 votes
      47%
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Limited Edition 7 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 30 votes by 27 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Wanted to get some feedback here since right now during, COVID, its really hard to find places that allow you to test out certain games. Right now, we've narrowed it down to 2 games that we "might" want to buy. Wanted to see what opinions are for either Monster Bash LE or Willy Wonka CE? We are definitely not PRO's but want something that we can enjoy for the long haul. Currently, we have the Deadpool LE and love that game. Also going to buy the TMNT LE so these are the types that we enjoy. We also have the Munsters LE but have to admit I love the show but not the gameplay. Any help or suggestions would DEF be welcome. Thanks everyone and take care.

Josh

#2 3 years ago

Monster Bash would be my pick. It’s a good fan layout, has great humor, it’s fun to play, and it’s easy to understand.

#3 3 years ago

Get the Willy Wonka.

You'll get bored of Monster Bash in a hurry, just like your Munsters.

Later,
    EV

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from EZG:

Monster Bash would be my pick. It’s a good fan layout, has great humor, it’s fun to play, and it’s easy to understand.

Thanks so much for you're opinion. I really do appreciate it. I spoke with some "vendors" and they told me the same thing. That monster bash is a great game but then they went on to say that it can get repetitive and may not stay long in a small HU operation. I'm planning on us only have 3 total. I know we will definitely have the Deadpool LE and the TMNT LE. Just was struggling so much on the MB and WW. I tried to find numerous places to play with no such luck.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Get the Willy Wonka.
    You'll get bored of Monster Bash in a hurry, just like your Munsters.
    Later,
    EV

Thank you! I know that's the trouble I'm having. I love the remakes and Chicago gaming but some people state the same thing you did. To me, I just want long lasting play ability for myself and my wife. Just wish I could find them both to test and get a real good hands on feel. Really appreciate all of you guys here @ Pinside for the input.

#6 3 years ago

I never played Willy Wonka but monster Bash get old fast. I used to live in fountain BTW

#7 3 years ago

Idk why but Wonka is like chopping wood to me. I would get an AFMr instead of a MB if that's an option, but would get either over Wonka.

#8 3 years ago

I own a MB and wouldn’t recommend it if you’re limiting your collection to 3. It’s fun but gets old. If you ever decide to start rotating games, it’s a good one to have for a short period, the trade or sell for something else.

#9 3 years ago

MB is amazing. If it gets easier then just disable extra balls and crank up the rear legs. All pinball gets repetitive.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I never played Willy Wonka but monster Bash get old fast. I used to live in fountain BTW

Nice Don. Yea moved here in hopes to get away from the "city" feel but its growing like weeds here now. Yea I'm "leaning" towards WW but not at a 100% concrete answer. How do you like NJ during this COVID time? Got to be insane.

#11 3 years ago

I have both, Wonka owned since july have over 700 games on it. MB owned for 22 months just less than 1000.

I plan to keep them both (They are the base models) but with a smaller collection I think Wonka has more staying power.

Just saw this was mentioned, also have AFM se great game as well and one I plan to keep.

#12 3 years ago

I actually am not a huge fan of Wonka, but that aside, your collection sounds like you have 3 modern Stern games. Although the MB remake itself is "new", I'd go with that one for a little classic 90s DMD variety in the lineup.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from C0nstantyne:

Nice Don. Yea moved here in hopes to get away from the "city" feel but its growing like weeds here now. Yea I'm "leaning" towards WW but not at a 100% concrete answer. How do you like NJ during this COVID time? Got to be insane.

It’s not so bad New Jersey has handled it pretty well. I go for my second vaccine on Wednesday so i’m looking forward to going out to dinner sometime soon

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Idk why but Wonka is like chopping wood to me. I would get an AFMr instead of a MB if that's an option, but would get either over Wonka.

Never thought about Attack FM. Is it really that good of a game? For me, there is no nostalgia for that. I'll have to look up some gameplay on that. Hopefully YouTube has some. Thanks 4 that input.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

I own a MB and wouldn’t recommend it if you’re limiting your collection to 3. It’s fun but gets old. If you ever decide to start rotating games, it’s a good one to have for a short period, the trade or sell for something else.

Yea looks fun. Didn't know that its code is small and would be quick to beat. Just liked the reviews for Chicago gaming and thought this was the best of the 3. I like the dungeon feel on MM but seems SO repetitive.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

MB is amazing. If it gets easier then just disable extra balls and crank up the rear legs. All pinball gets repetitive.

I totally agree. The only ones that I feel the "drawn in" power is my Deadpool and the TMNT LE that we played.

#17 3 years ago

I was in the exact same boat back in the fall. I love MB but always wanted a JJP machine. Went back and forth and finally opted for Wonka LE. And I am so happy I did. Not only do I find it fun and challenging, my 9 year old daughter loves it! Plays constantly and is the current grand champion in our house. Wonka is a super fun shooter!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

It’s not so bad New Jersey has handled it pretty well. I go for my second vaccine on Wednesday so i’m looking forward to going out to dinner sometime soon

Hearing this trips me out. We have still been going out to eat and stuff since the beginning. Kids have actually been going to school since the beginning and I heard the other day some states will not go back this year. mind blowing to me that some states completely stopped.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

I have both, Wonka owned since july have over 700 games on it. MB owned for 22 months just less than 1000.
    I plan to keep them both (They are the base models) but with a smaller collection I think Wonka has more staying power.

Well put! Thanks so much seriously for that info. Great that you own both. Couldn't have asked for a better opinion! Yea I really love the JJP because my mom has the YBR WOZ and that game is awesome. Just not a WOZ fan. Love the look and SO much game play.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I actually am not a huge fan of Wonka, but that aside, your collection sounds like you have 3 modern Stern games. Although the MB remake itself is "new", I'd go with that one for a little classic 90s DMD variety in the lineup.

So question for you: Would you do instead a WW CE and MB LE and pass on the TMNT LE?

#21 3 years ago

My location has all the above. Granted it's been closed since practically Thanksgiving. IMO - Turtles is a dud. Nice layout and toys..but not a clean smooth shooter for me. Wonka I get pissed at the TV Shot - which starts modes and runs half the game. Impossible to backhand and hard as hell off the left flipper. Granted if I had one in my house, it may be easier to shoot. I love the colors, modes. It's a nice game. MB - it's a classic. It's not "deep" like Wonka, but the rules are decent. Multiballs a plenty, and hard (at least for me) to get to the wizard mode. There's a reason it's been in the top 10 as long as it has. If you're looking for a deep ruleset with a ton of crap to do, and dont mind it being choppy and lacking flow - Wonka. If you're looking for a fun game with good flow and somewhat easy to hit shot - MB. I'd dump turtles in a heartbeat.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I hear that one. I know here in Colorado, at least Southern Colorado, we weren't really "locked down" just a lot of regulations to follow. Better to be safe then sorry I guess.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joeymonkey:

I was in the exact same boat back in the fall. I love MB but always wanted a JJP machine. Went back and forth and finally opted for Wonka LE. And I am so happy I did. Not only do I find it fun and challenging, my 9 year old daughter loves it! Plays constantly and is the current grand champion in our house. Wonka is a super fun shooter!

See that's what I'm looking for. Something I can play a lot then stop for like a week or so and get right back in the saddle and it keeping me coming back for more. I feel like that for DP but just nothing at all for the munsters.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

My location has all the above. Granted it's been closed since practically Thanksgiving. IMO - Turtles is a dud. Nice layout and toys..but not a clean smooth shooter for me. Wonka I get pissed at the TV Shot - which starts modes and runs half the game. Impossible to backhand and hard as hell off the left flipper. Granted if I had one in my house, it may be easier to shoot. I love the colors, modes. It's a nice game. MB - it's a classic. It's not "deep" like Wonka, but the rules are decent. Multiballs a plenty, and hard (at least for me) to get to the wizard mode. There's a reason it's been in the top 10 as long as it has. If you're looking for a deep ruleset with a ton of crap to do, and dont mind it being choppy and lacking flow - Wonka. If you're looking for a fun game with good flow and somewhat easy to hit shot - MB. I'd dump turtles in a heartbeat.

Really? Do you feel that TMNT doesn't have a lot to offer? Now granted, we played it for like an hour or so. Felt at times it gets VERY fast but enjoyed the play. Of course, we are "beginner to moderate" players lol. Love the artwork and animations but struggled with it having a LOT to do. I'm just so torn. Hate to spend the money on something and then a month or two later hate it and want to part with it. Trying to take my time on this before I spend a crap load.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

I own a MB and wouldn’t recommend it if you’re limiting your collection to 3.

At one time, I thought I had room for only three. I’m up to 12 now. There’s always room for one more.

#26 3 years ago

New turtles pin is rather so-so imo, I would not recommend it for small home collection. Granted I only played it about 45 min total one evening but it never "clicked" with me. After that session I wasn't feeling "one more time" as I do with many other pins.

#27 3 years ago

I have played well over 100+ games of MB. Love the heck out of it. Yes, just like any other game, once you get down the rule set a game can get boring, but MB is not that, especially if he has kids. I am a EM collector, so not many DMD or later SS interest me. I find MB to have that constant “just one more game” drive. In my opinion, MB should be his choice because it’s a great single player and a great 4 player competition game.

As for Wonka, here’s my experience from a friend who owned one for just 4 months.
    My friend bought a Wonka LE and was very excited with his purchase at first. Within the first two weeks a part broke and he had to wait for a new one from JJP. He installed the new part and was back up and running again. He called me and a couple friends over to play it. About two hours in of game playing, the machine went into a full hard crash. He went online and downloaded something from JJP to do a full reboot the machine. Reboot didn’t work. He eventually got the machine working again, but he said enough was enough and dumped the machine. He said for the money he paid for a NIB, the machine just wasn’t worth it for constant fixing.

My final advise to the OP is to consider, does he want a reliable game or a game that is constant trouble?

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

New turtles pin is rather so-so imo, I would not recommend it for small home collection. Granted I only played it about 45 min total one evening but it never "clicked" with me. After that session I wasn't feeling "one more time" as I do with many other pins.

So when we played TMNT on Saturday, it was fun. Certain points the game gets moving QUICK. I just don't know if I like it more than Monster Bash. Just don't want to waste money on another machine like I did with the Munsters.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I have played well over 100+ games of MB. Love the heck out of it. Yes, just like any other game, once you get down the rule set a game can get boring, but MB is not that, especially if he has kids. I am a EM collector, so not many DMD or later SS interest me. I find MB to have that constant “just one more game” drive. In my opinion, MB should be his choice because it’s a great single player and a great 4 player competition game.
    As for Wonka, here’s my experience from a friend who owned one for just 4 months.
    My friend bought a Wonka LE and was very excited with his purchase at first. Within the first two weeks a part broke and he had to wait for a new one from JJP. He installed the new part and was back up and running again. He called me and a couple friends over to play it. About two hours in of game playing, the machine went into a full hard crash. He went online and downloaded something from JJP to do a full reboot the machine. Reboot didn’t work. He eventually got the machine working again, but he said enough was enough and dumped the machine. He said for the money he paid for a NIB, the machine just wasn’t worth it for constant fixing.
    My final advise to the OP is to consider, does he want a reliable game or a game that is constant trouble?

Hi Mikala
    So yea I'm really liking the inputs for MB. It seems like its an overall good game. Maybe it gets repetitive the more advanced a player you are. Just IMO. Its funny you bring up the "Reliability" issue. My mom bought the YBR WOZ. She LOVES the hell out of that game. For the first 3 weeks, she had nothing but problems. Although, customer service was excellent and now there is absolutely no problems. For me, I'm a little tech and mechanical savy so fixing or troubleshooting things aren't a "huge" issue but I do appreciate the comments about that because they are definitely something to consider. I just feel for longevity, playable, and repetition, I feel that MB and WW would be the best now instead of TMNT. Just trying to get a lot of input so I can make the best informed decision. Thanks again!

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from C0nstantyne:

So question for you: Would you do instead a WW CE and MB LE and pass on the TMNT LE?

I would take TMNT and MB of those 3, but it is honestly all subjective ha. I love Lawlor games but WW just never clicked with me. I don't enjoy the lighting at all as everything is always lit all the time, theme does nothing for me, I don't find the layout very satisfying especially the upper right playfield area, and I'm not crazy about the rules. I'd much rather take Dialed In over WW if I was spending that kind of money on a modern Lawlor game. That is my personal taste though, I see why people like WW and I'll drop a few bucks on it on location, but no desire to own one personally.

#31 3 years ago

I voted for WW because it has deep rules and plenty of different ways to play it. If you want to try to get a bunch of chocolate bars, try for golden tickets or just try for one of the many high score categories. WW shoots smooth with a mix of easy to challenging shots and I just love a game with more then 2 flippers it keeps it interesting. I’ve owned my WW for a few months and it’s a bit confusing at first with so much to decode on the tv screen. I also own a TMNT pro and I think it’s a great pin that has a decent amount of rules that are a bit easier to understand(compared to WW) but definitely not shallow. I also think TMNT brings a extra perk to the table which is the CO-OP mode. My wife and I love that we can team up and battle together against the pin instead of each other. The shots a fast but smooth on TMNT and again more then 2 flippers. Good luck on your hunt but it’s always best to play before you buy.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from C0nstantyne:

My mom bought the YBR WOZ.

I love that your mom buys pins. I told my parents they should get a WOZ for their home but they just thought I was crazy!!

And as for JJP, their customer service is awesome. And I haven’t had much trouble with my Wonka. Had a scratched back glass when it arrived and they replaced right away. And I had one issue where the CPU wouldn’t boot, but they helped me through it. Also, I have a Stern Stranger Things and I love that game like crazy. But the demogorgan shot and Telekenesis multiball don’t work right for a majority of owners and I spent hours under the glass tinkering with that thing. So it can happen with lots of companies but the important thing is how they respond to the owner and I find both companies to be helpful and responsive.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Hearing this trips me out. We have still been going out to eat and stuff since the beginning. Kids have actually been going to school since the beginning and I heard the other day some states will not go back this year. mind blowing to me that some states completely stopped.

We have only had the option of going to a restaurant since around September. I was never one for outdoor dining. My daughter who is in high school has only been to around 20 days of in school learning since last March and they only go for five hours.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I hear ya! My wife and I flew down to Florida to watch the Super Bowl in some form of normalcy. Outside in a bar. Been here five days, ate out in a restaurant every night. It’s weird that we have to go through these hoops just to feel normal. Thank G for Florida.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Huh? Your friend had tech issues with one build of Wonka so no one should buy it?

Wonka is by far the better game on the list. As with any game, set up will influence redundancy.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

I voted for WW because it has deep rules and plenty of different ways to play it. If you want to try to get a bunch of chocolate bars, try for golden tickets or just try for one of the many high score categories. WW shoots smooth with a mix of easy to challenging shots and I just love a game with more then 2 flippers it keeps it interesting. I’ve owned my WW for a few months and it’s a bit confusing at first with so much to decode on the tv screen. I also own a TMNT pro and I think it’s a great pin that has a decent amount of rules that are a bit easier to understand(compared to WW) but definitely not shallow. I also think TMNT brings a extra perk to the table which is the CO-OP mode. My wife and I love that we can team up and battle together against the pin instead of each other. The shots a fast but smooth on TMNT and again more then 2 flippers. Good luck on your hunt but it’s always best to play before you buy.

Yea I really wish the COVID thing wouldn't exist cause there are a few on location in Denver that we could have tried out but apparently Denver COVID restrictions are WAY more intense then where we live. Still not pulling the trigger yet in case I find one that we can play. I think right now, the definite game we will get is the WW CE. Now, I'm just on the fence about the MB and TMNT. I liked the play of TMNT but I also like the MB Remake. Struggling to make a definite decision on this one.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joeymonkey:

I love that your mom buys pins. I told my parents they should get a WOZ for their home but they just thought I was crazy!!
    And as for JJP, their customer service is awesome. And I haven’t had much trouble with my Wonka. Had a scratched back glass when it arrived and they replaced right away. And I had one issue where the CPU wouldn’t boot, but they helped me through it. Also, I have a Stern Stranger Things and I love that game like crazy. But the demogorgan shot and Telekenesis multiball don’t work right for a majority of owners and I spent hours under the glass tinkering with that thing. So it can happen with lots of companies but the important thing is how they respond to the owner and I find both companies to be helpful and responsive.

Oh yea. She loves Pinball. She even has the Spider-man and now when I can find one, she wants the JP LE. She is definitely still a kid at heart. I love the Stranger Things show on Netflix. Can't wait for that bad boy to come out. We did try ST and have to be honest, I just didn't feel like the game play drew me in. That's of course IMO. I totally concur. I think customer service goes a long way. If I'm going to pay the kind of money they ask for, then at least stand behind you're equipment. So far so good on that end.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

We have only had the option of going to a restaurant since around September. I was never one for outdoor dining. My daughter who is in high school has only been to around 20 days of in school learning since last March and they only go for five hours.

That's nuts. We haven't been on full lockdown at all from what I can remember. Of course, always have the mask but we could still at least go into a food joint and order take out. Just no sit down dining which now they lifted and we can do 50% capacity which is nice.

#39 3 years ago

Most of us have space and $ constraints, thankfully most of these pins retain decent value if you tire of the gameplay, call outs, or code.
    I would prefer some variety and would sell Munsters and replace w both MB & Wonka if you prefer NIB. That would give you one Stern, CGC, and JJP.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Most of us have space and $ constraints, thankfully most of these pins retain decent value if you tire of the gameplay, call outs, or code.
    I would prefer some variety and would sell Munsters and replace w both MB & Wonka if you prefer NIB. That would give you one Stern, CGC, and JJP.

Good morning,
    Yea I'm just not wanting to have to get rid of something after. Just gets tiring. I do understand you're thought though. I think that's what I'm leaning towards. Is have the MB LE & WW CE. Then that will have the DP LE with them so a variety then if my wife really likes TMNT later on, I can always try to find a NIB at that time. I just feel like with all the input that MB might be better at least to buy b4 the TMNT. The TMNT seems a little more advanced than the MB. My wife is still a "clunker" meaning that she only worries about hitting the ball with the flippers. Not aiming for shots LOL. Gotta make her happy though.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Huh? Your friend had tech issues with one build of Wonka so no one should buy it?
    Wonka is by far the better game on the list. As with any game, set up will influence redundancy.

I am not necessarily saying that. If someone has the know how to fix a newer game when it crashes, NP. I just expressed my opinion to the OP of other things for him to consider before making his purchase. If he is technical enough and wants to deal with a game breaking down, that’s his choice. We all have games breakdown at some point, it’s just how quick can we get them back up and flipping.

#42 3 years ago

One thing that I have come across that wanted to ask about. On the machines we have now, the invisiglass does take away all the reflections while playing. On the Monster Bash LE, do you still get images and glares from outside onto the glass while playing? Sorry sometimes its hard to tell by watching videos.

#43 3 years ago

Just want to say thank you to each and everyone of you that posted information in this forum thread. I really do appreciate all the input and hopefully I don't make the wrong selections. Take care everyone!

J

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I am not necessarily saying that. If someone has the know how to fix a newer game when it crashes, NP. I just expressed my opinion to the OP of other things for him to consider before making his purchase. If he is technical enough and wants to deal with a game breaking down, that’s his choice. We all have games breakdown at some point, it’s just how quick can we get them back up and flipping.

Not trying to argue, but it still seems that you're insinuating that all Wonkas will break down like the one example you've been exposed to. A sample of one is not a good sample for that type of argument...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-choosing-a-pinball-title?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.