(Topic ID: 205904)

HELP! Carpal Tunnel - Am I Shooting Wrong??

By Lucysuros

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

hi everyone, i'm a newbie pinball addict. got GOTG a few days ago and have been playing like mad. then yesterday my arms started to feel sore. Like where you get carpal tunnel! and when i curl my middle figure to palm, it hurts. i shoot with my middle finger (though this morning i tried pointers since middles were hurting). is that the wrong way to shoot? is there a right finger to use or just personal preference?? anyone else had this experience?

#2 6 years ago

I don't know if there's a correct finger to use, but I've caught myself leaning on my machines with all my weight resting on my hands, which leads to sore arms and hands. Keep it light.

#3 6 years ago

Yep. Don’t lean on the game. Stand at the game. A trick I learned was if you can take your hands off the game and not fall over then you’re doing it right.

#4 6 years ago

Playing too much? I know my hands & fingers hurt after going to a pin show.

#5 6 years ago

This! I'm fairly new to the hobby and after each league night I came home sore as all hell. Then I realized I was putting all my weight on my arms cuz I was leaning. It's hard to get used to as I think we have a natural tendency to lean when playing. Now I try to remain conscious to not lean when I play.

Quoted from EvanDickson:

I don't know if there's a correct finger to use, but I've caught myself leaning on my machines with all my weight resting on my hands, which leads to sore arms and hands. Keep it light.

#6 6 years ago

I always use a seat playing and a cup holder
    No issues

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stand at the game.

Better than standing on the game. I learned my lesson the hard way last week.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

A trick I learned was if you can take your hands off the game and not fall over then you’re doing it right.

If you're falling over playing pinball, something's wrong!! Playing drunk?

#9 6 years ago

don't lean your weight on the lockbar, maybe put the entire macine a little higher or lower on his legs with the levelers so you have your arms in a different angle. mind the pitch!
    i flip with my middle fingers btw.

#10 6 years ago

Sounds like basic repetitive stress. If your not experiencing other carpal tunnel pain when typing or computing or other activity, this may have tipped it over the edge.

You can get immediate relief with wrist supports you can buy at walgreens or walmart. I've used the short ones with the insert from time to time and avoided having to have surgery. I'd wear them playing pinball and computing for a bit and see if that helps. If not get it checked out.

Sounds like your having fun be careful. Don't ignore or put of carpal tunnel pain. I've been lucky myself but know a couple people who put it off and even surgery didn't help much.

#11 6 years ago

As has been pointed out, you don't want to be supporting your body by leaning on the machine. Putting your weight on it like that also makes it harder to play - you won't be able to get the nuance out of the flippers that you'll need - you will end up just hitting the flippers at full velocity every single time. Try hitting the buttons more gently, you'll notice the flippers can vary in strength the harder/faster you push the button in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-carpal-tunnel-am-i-shooting-wrong and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.