Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Nycon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have scanned a "hotdog" insert from a Firepower but need to convert the jpg to dwg in order to lasercut an acrylic insert. I don't know how, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

You can't really "convert" the image. It will have to be re-drawn.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can't really "convert" the image. It will have to be re-drawn.

You can!

Pull the image into adobe illustrator and do a live trace (if you dont own a copy, the 30 day trial works).

Instructions here:
http://www.graphic-design-employment.com/live-trace.html

You may need to clean up the image/colors and mess with the live trace tool variables to get a clean trace.

After that you can export it as a DWG.

#4 5 years ago

There is a program called GTX Image CAD. It is built on AutoCAD and can convert a vector to raster and raster to vector. However, it won't do it perfectly and there will be some (or a lot) of cleanup required. No idea of the availability though. If there is a free method available, I'd suggest that.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from asay:

You can!
Pull the image into adobe illustrator and do a live trace (if you dont own a copy, the 30 day trial works).
Instructions here:
http://www.graphic-design-employment.com/live-trace.html
You may need to clean up the image/colors and mess with the live trace tool variables to get a clean trace.
After that you can export it as a DWG.

Yeah, well, results with that tend to vary and typically need clean-up. It's a decent option for quick things that don't need a lot of precision.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, well, results with that tend to vary and typically need clean-up.

Have you ever tried? I do it all the time at work and have never had problems. If your source image is good you get very clean and accurate lines.

#7 5 years ago

It would probably only take seconds to trace the hotdog insert in illustrator and it would be far more precise than using live trace. (if the scan is accurate. many lower end scanners distort the image by a percentage or so in one direction or another)

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

It would probably only take seconds to trace the hotdog insert in illustrator and it would be far more precise than using live trace. (if the scan is accurate. many lower end scanners distort the image by a percentage or so in one direction or another)

Yea, it's probably better to trace manually for simple geometry. Like you said the quality of the scan is what matters here. I've always gotten very accurate results with live trace as long as the image is clean.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from asay:

Have you ever tried? I do it all the time at work and have never had problems. If your source image is good you get very clean and accurate lines.

I haven't tried it in quite some time. If you say it's working well, then there may have been some drastic improvements since the last time I used that feature.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't tried it in quite some time. If you say it's working well, then there may have been some drastic improvements since the last time I used that feature.

Yup, it has improved a lot. From the link I posted:

The Live Trace tool which was introduced into Adobe Illustrator CS2 is great for tracing line art, or even photos. Earlier trace tools weren't worth using if you wanted to create something with any accuracy - but that's all changed. Adobe Streamline was a standalone tracing product (to create vector graphic versions of rasterized images) which was improved, integrated into CS2, and renamed Live Trace.

#11 5 years ago

Are you sure it needs to be converted? I would question it. Most laser engraver/cutters act as printers and can "print" from any normal photo editing software which should take a jpg just fine...

#12 5 years ago

If you can supply a "to scale" jpeg, any cad guy/gal can trace & convert it. Give us the scan at 100% life-size & you're in business.

#13 5 years ago

Send me a JPG, be happy to convert to dwg. It's actually not hard, just download draftsight, insert the image, trace it, then you just have to scale it (physically measure a dimension from the original part, scale up accordingly)

#14 5 years ago

@jediturtle: Laser cutters/engravers can run in two modes: Engraving and cutting. For engraving you can use any image file as it wil be "printed" line-by-line by the laser. For cuctting you have to supply vector paths, similar as if you want to make stencils with a vinyl cutter. You can also go with the line-by-line mode for cutting with a laser in theory, but this gives you unsatisfactory edges and takes nearly forever.

@mwiz: I can also vetorize it for you and directly make the part for you for a few bucks (availability depending on which color you require). If interested send me a pm.

#15 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions and quick replies everybody! I think I'm going to take @toyotaboy up on his offer and send him the scanned images and pictures I took of the insert. If anybody else wants them to play around with, send me a PM with your email addy and I'll email them to you.

@Nycon - Thanks for the offer! I have access to a laser cutter so I'm going to go try that first. If I have issues I'll send you a PM.

In case you're wondering I had a really bad Firepower playfield that I stripped and am replacing the inserts with clears starbursts. I have sourced all the circles and arrows except the hotdogs. I plan to re-theme it.

#16 5 years ago

If you have access to a laser cutter then it's all good. Just going to companies around the corner for a simple plastic piece can be very expensive, hence my offer. Would loove to see the finished part in action though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 11.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside