5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lonzo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've been burning my own roms for my restorations for years. I have a buddy that has a Roller Coaster Tycoon that has old code on it. I have never burned a whitestar rom. There must be something you have to do with the rom file before you burn it as I have tried 5 times and I cant get the machine to boot. I did a search and I found a thread that mentioned a boot file or something that used to be on the Stern website but they took it down.

Can someone explain what needs to be done to burn a rom on this system?

Thanks

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

What is the file size of the ROM and what is the ROM size you are trying to burn?
If the EPROM chip is bigger than the binary file, you need to fill the ROM chip with repeated copies of the binary file. If the binary file is bigger than the EPROM chip you need a new bigger EPROM chip.

I’m using the chip the manual says to use.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

it uses a 27c4001 for display and a 27c1001 for cpu

The manual says the CPU and display are both 27C040. Of course it wouldn’t be the first time a manual had been wrong.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The CPU rom size is 128k so you need a 27C1001 or 27C010 to burn the file directly.
You will need to quadruple up the rom file for your 27C040 or double it twice.

When you say quadruple it. How exactly do you do that?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I create batch files to run command prompt strings to combine ROM files.
Example turning 27c010 image file into 27c040. The starting file will be a 1mbit (27c010) in size and named ROM.1MB for example.
Fire up windows program notepad and copy the single line below into it.
copy /b ROM.1MB+ROM.1MB+ROM.1MB+ROM.1MB ROM.4MB
Save that notepad file as COMBINE.BAT (the .bat at the end is important, it can't be .txt or whatever) in the same folder as ROM.1MB
Run COMBINE.BAT by double clicking on it and it should create a quadrupled up image ROM.4MB.
Some eprom burning software has ways to fill up a larger eproms. For GQ-4X you can set device to to 27c010. Load the rom. Select all and Copy. Set device 27c040. Select all and delete. Then use the paste command four times to fill up the 4x larger EPROM.

My buddy pulled the sticker off and it was a 1001 so I guess I can burn it directly. I use the GQ-4X so I can try to do what you explain if I have a problem in the future. I guess I have never ran into a situation where the size want right.

I appreciate the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-burning-a-stern-rom?tu=lonzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.